Help with Radion Setup

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon 72x18x21(?) tank. I bought 4 XR15 G5 Blue Radions to replace my T5 setup. I liked how the Radions looked in the store but they were displayed on a drag tank so the water wasn’t near as deep as my tank. The lights are definitely not the same as the T5 but I think I can get used to them. My questions are

Is it bad to set up a more favorable viewing time from like 6:00-9:00 at night? The lights are bluer than I like and I can set them up to replicate the T5 decently but that requires a lot of red light waves, minimizing the red waves help control algae growth, is that correct? If the corals like the blue light I’m happy to run that color when I’m not home.

I would also like some kind of light on 24/7. Is having a lunar light on at night continuously a bad idea?

What should I be aware of making the switch so I don’t hurt any corals? I have a few montipora frags, a hammer and frogspawn, bowerbanki, lobo and a few other lps corals I’m forgetting.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS corals aren’t usually too picky on spectrum. Having a viewing period is fine. Minimizing red and white light can help control algae growth.

Lunar light is fine also, a lot of the built in programs feature a moonlight period.

To acclimate, start with a lower brightness and bring it up slowly. The lights have a built in acclimation mode. Too little light is better than burning them with too much.

Enjoy!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mobius has some built-in templates for the G5s that you may want to experiment with: AB+, PHX14, LPS/Soft and my favorite: Radiant Color (note that for whatever reason, the moonlight schedule doesn’t work on the Radiant setting - so you have to manually add one). By playing around with the cool white setting you can reduce the effects of the blues quite a bit.

I do use the red channel, but you have to remember that there is only a single red photo LED in each XR15. I’ve had it both off and on and it didn’t seem to really affect algae growth one way or the other.

I’d be happy to share my Radion schedule if you’d like a few ideas (just send me a PM). Enjoy the new lights!

Last edited:
OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just by looking at the tank these don’t seem near as strong as the T5 lights do. I know looks can be deceiving especially on colors that are hard for our eyes to see. I know these will work fine, I just don’t want to kill anything from ignorance. I’ve thought about setting the spectrum where I want it, then starting an acclimation period in case my spectrum is too strong.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can borrow or rent a PAR meter for a day or two that’s probably your best bet. I added a Neptune PMK Par probe which has proved to be a huge benefit because my levels were quite a bit less than what i thought they were.

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at 50% power now planning on running up to 100% in 30 days. I think two more XR15 would be about perfect.

Attachments

• 2C6B0559-2ED0-49AF-AB05-4B2A90D26DEB.jpeg
    2C6B0559-2ED0-49AF-AB05-4B2A90D26DEB.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 28

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back