Help with stock list for 25 gallon cube

fishface1003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently building out a 25 gallon cube. Would love some input on the list I have in mind.
-Banggai cardinal
- Black bar chromis x2
- Clowns x2
- Royal Gramma or Black Cap
- Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse

CUC
-Nassarius snails x3
-Cerith snails x3
-Trochus snails x2

Ill be doing a build thread once I get things together. The tank has my old clown in it now and a couple mollys that are going to a friend once I get the tank further along. Getting QT setup now to get ready for the new guys. I would love to know what you guys think. Open to any suggestions!

IMG_20200628_143422.jpg IMG_20200703_180750.jpg IMG_20200628_142445.jpg

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Currently building out a 25 gallon cube. Would love some input on the list I have in mind.
-Banggai cardinal
- Black bar chromis x2
- Clowns x2
- Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse

CUC
-Nassarius snails x3
-Cerith snails x3
-Trochus snails x2

Ill be doing a build thread once I get things together. The tank has my old clown in it now and a couple mollys that are going to a friend once I get the tank further along. Getting QT setup now to get ready for the new guys. I would love to know what you guys think. Open to any suggestions!

IMG_20200628_143422.jpg IMG_20200703_180750.jpg IMG_20200628_142445.jpg
I think your stocking list is great except the flasher wrasse. They are very active and need at least 50 gallons to swim based on my experience. I would take that out and possibly add a possum wrasse if you like the look of it!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely think your CUC needs some bulking out. A good rule for smaller tanks is 1 snail every 2 gallons or so, and one hermit every 2-5 gallons depending on how heavily you feed. Hermit crabs are great at cleaning up uneaten food and so are larger shrimps such as fire, peppermint, and skunk. For the clowns, I suggest either ocellaris or percula because they are a lot more peaceful and you have a greater chance of success with them than maroons, clarkii, or other. Royal grammas can be kind of aggressive so make sure you watch for that, especially if you start with a larger one. Make sure you have a lid to keep the wrasse from hopping out and it sounds like a pretty good plan!

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
+1 to increase the CUC too.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware you make end up with one chromis there are very few that seem to be able to house more than one long term. If you can find two cardnials kind of paired up though I'd consider trying for a m/f pair of those. I personally would add a sand or bottom dwelling fish like a goby or jaw fish but maybe there's a reason your not. Otherwise the list looks good. I don't know about the flasher, the only one I have is an exquisite wrasse and I know their not as rambunctious as some others but do get large for your tank.

OP
OP
fishface1003

fishface1003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the input! I cannot wait to get everyone purchased and into the QT.
OK here is the new and improved stock list....

-Banggai cardinal x2
- Black bar chromis
- Clowns x2
- White Banded Possum Wrasse

CUC
-Nassarius snails x5
-Cerith snails x5
-Trochus snails x5

* Not sure on a shrimp yet maybe a peppermint
* Hermit crabs drive me nuts lol

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t want crabs, then I’d suggest two shrimps. One small fire shrimp plus 10 hermits in my 20 gallon do great! I do purposely over feed by a lot though, so 2 shrimp in a 25 being fed a normal amount for the number of fish you have sounds good. I’d also recommend turbo/astrea snails if you can, they have done the best job for me and I always buy those as my CUC now. Good luck!

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
More of the same?
I also don’t like crabs, but I love having snails. You can add more of the same snails that you already have and you can get a skunk cleaner shrimp or a fire shrimp. They are fun to have and useful!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I’d do:
8-10 turbos
5-8 astrea
Stomatella snails (if you can find them, some local reefers sell them if you ask nicely but I’ve never seen one at any of my LFS)
2 cleaner/peppermint/fire/camel whatever shrimps, I really like fire/peppermint because the fire looks the best IMO and a good peppermint takes care of aiptasia before it becomes an issue
You’ve also got sand so I’d recommend a sand sifter such as a fighting conch (not actually an aggressive species, just a misleading name), cucumber, sand sifting star, blenny and pistol shrimp pair, or something else to help you keep that sand bed clean. Please do your research if you decide to go with the blenny and shrimp route, as some fish create huge sand storms.

OP
OP
fishface1003

fishface1003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp! Fixing the rock work on my day off. Had a couple helpers

Attachments

• VID_20200713_145051.mp4
    26.2 MB
OP
OP
fishface1003

fishface1003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input for the stock list. Getting quarantine setup now and ordering fish Friday! Can't wait.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back