Help with Stocking list for 6ft 220G

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO we are finally getting to the part where we gotta come up with a list of future inhabitants for our new ~220 build. Tank is 72x30x24 and the aim for the tank is a nice mixed reef with large LPS and some easier to keep sps (not going the full Acro route, been there, too much work). Tank will have a somewhat minimal rockspace so as to leave lots of room for the fish to swim.

Heres what we have as a list so far for fish wed like to keep, but am looking for more suggestions from some more experienced reefers on the list we have as well on possible additions to the list. I know its kind of light right now, but have always been more into corals and never really had a large enough tank to house most of these fish so am a little less knowledgeable on them

220 Stock list (tentative)
Mystery Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus ocellatus) One of our absolute favorite fish from past tanks
Orange Spot Rabbbit Fish (Siganus guttatus) Ive always love rabbits and the colors are amazing
Powder Brown Tang (Acanthurus japonicus) Beautiful colors but we hear they are hard to keep?
Desjardini Sailfin Tang (Zebrasoma desjardini)
Achilles Tang (Acanthurus achilles) (such a beautiful fish) we know that mixing acanthurus can be dicey so would plan on adding them at the same time to the tank to help avoid aggression
Long Nose Hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus)
Orange Spot Blenny (Blenniella chrysospilos) Another past tank favorite that wed like to have again

What else would you add to the list for bright colors, movement, and compatibility with other tankmates?

sofaknlo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like my watchman goby. have 2 and 1 is paired witg pistol shrimp. just another fun addition to watch. lots of differwnt gobies to choose from.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like my watchman goby. have 2 and 1 is paired witg pistol shrimp. just another fun addition to watch. lots of differwnt gobies to choose from.
We have considered getting a goby, our only hesitation is our last Goby was a sleeperhead and his favorite activity was to cover all the coral on the sandbed in sand :-/ which with our plan to have large fleshy LPS like acanthophyllia that may not be the best for them. although i dont believe guys like yellow watchman gobies do as much rearranging as the sleepers?

sofaknlo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have considered getting a goby, our only hesitation is our last Goby was a sleeperhead and his favorite activity was to cover all the coral on the sandbed in sand :-/ which with our plan to have large fleshy LPS like acanthophyllia that may not be the best for them. although i dont believe guys like yellow watchman gobies do as much rearranging as the sleepers?

also had a sleeper head and they suck lol. sand everywhere. diamonds i feel are in between. watchman seem to stay in an area and dont spray sand everywhere. have to choose wisely lol. but are great additions.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also had a sleeper head and they suck lol. sand everywhere. diamonds i feel are in between. watchman seem to stay in an area and dont spray sand everywhere. have to choose wisely lol. but are great additions.
a yellow watchman and pistol shrimp combo would def be cool and add some bright color to the tank :)

sofaknlo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a six line and leopard wrasee. was thinking of getting another wrasse or 2. hovens or flasher these are great for pest control.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a six line and leopard wrasee. was thinking of getting another wrasse or 2. hovens or flasher these are great for pest control.
I dont think you can mix mysterys and six-lines? not sure but for some reason i think they may be too similiar and want to fight?
Melenarus (hovens) are kinda neat, but can be a little aggressive. will probably stick to the flashers, maybe a mccoskers or something

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive
if u feed multi times a day then anthias are also great addition
always liked anthias but that multiple feedings makes them a little tough without an autofeeder.

I really wish someone made an auto feeder that could feed frozen foods. million dollar idea right there lol

sofaknlo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you can mix mysterys and six-lines? not sure but for some reason i think they may be too similiar and want to fight?
Melenarus (hovens) are kinda neat, but can be a little aggressive. will probably stick to the flashers, maybe a mccoskers or something
so mamy different wrasses to choose from. just have to find ones compatible.

sofaknlo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive

always liked anthias but that multiple feedings makes them a little tough without an autofeeder.

I really wish someone made an auto feeder that could feed frozen foods. million dollar idea right there lol
if only lol

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking on LiveAquaria has given me a few more ideas.
Potential new additions to the list

• Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse (cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis) SOOOOO PRETTY!!!;Drool
  • McCoskers Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri) had one before and was great tank addition
  • Watanabei Angelfish (Genicanthus watanabei) Reef Safe Angel yes please :)
  • Two Spot Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus) ?
  • Purple Firefish/Exquisite firefish (Nemateleotris decora) / (Nemateleotris exquisita) not sure if these guys would handle the larger fish in the tank well or not
  • Blue/Green Reef Chromis (Chromis viridis) ? filler/dither fish?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you can mix mysterys and six-lines?
Pseudocheilinus wrasses are not hospitable. :) Mixing them with other wrasses should be avoided, especially with other species of their genus.
will probably stick to the flashers, maybe a mccoskers or something
The presence of the mystery (a Pseudocheilinus) might prohibit that.
  • Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse (cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis) SOOOOO PRETTY!!!;Drool
  • McCoskers Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri) had one before and was great tank addition
(See above)

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudocheilinus wrasses are not hospitable. :) Mixing them with other wrasses should be avoided, especially with other species of their genus.

(See above)
Really?
Our last mystery wrasse was such a baby and always hid from everyone. I can’t imagine them being bullies

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

(See above)
Could possible aggression issues be potentially avoided by adding the mystery last after the other wrasses are already established?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?
Our last mystery wrasse was such a baby and always hid from everyone. I can’t imagine them being bullies
How long did you have it, and how big was it? These guys get pretty big, and at some point in their maturity the "evil switch" usually just flips. They're often peaceful up until that point. It's about the same time they decide any/all shrimps will be eaten. :)
Could possible aggression issues be potentially avoided by adding the mystery last after the other wrasses are already established?
Unfortunately no, not with Pseudocheilinus. It's usually just a matter of maturity.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you have it, and how big was it? These guys get pretty big, and at some point in their maturity the "evil switch" usually just flips. They're often peaceful up until that point. It's about the same time they decide any/all shrimps will be eaten. :)

Unfortunately no, not with Pseudocheilinus. It's usually just a matter of maturity.
It’s honestly been soo long that I forgot how long we had him for. But I think he got to maybe 4-4.5”?

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just for some more fresh eyes and ideas I’m gonna tag the #reefsquad and see what they think of the list so far :)

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that the tank has water and is cycling, we are finalizing the fish list and getting ready to order the first fish soon. All Fish will be sourced from @tsm corals since they have the space and resources to properly QT fish (I dont really have the space or knowledge/experience)

But now we gotta figure out in what order we want to get the fish in so i was hoping for some help from you more experienced fish keepers, as i mostly did corals with a couple fish, and none of the size of these guys.

⁃Orange Spot Rabbbit Fish (Siganus guttatus)

⁃Powder Brown Tang (Acanthurus japonicus)

⁃Desjardini Sailfin Tang (Zebrasoma desjardini)

⁃Achilles Tang (Acanthurus achilles) ? (If we can make it work with the others)

⁃Long Nose Hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus)

⁃Orange Spot Blenny (Blenniella chrysospilos)

⁃Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse (cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis)

⁃McCoskers Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)

⁃Bellus Anglefish Pair (Genicanthus bellus)

⁃2X Dragon Face pipefish

- Some other colorful wrasse's still yet to be decided

⁃Two Spot Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus) ?

⁃Purple Firefish/Exquisit firefish (Nemateleotris decora) / (Nemateleotris exquisita) ?

⁃Blue/Green Reef Chromis (Chromis viridis) ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back