Help with tank setup

Stav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers.
I’m getting in the hobby and need some help before buying the equipment.
My balance for the setup is between 2.000-2.500$
Up to now I made a list but I’m not sure about it and will be happy to get some help.
So, the tank size is 90cmX60cmX60cm
The stand height will be 80cm

Light: will be Radion Xr15w g4 pro Or 30w g4 pro, hybrid with 4 T5 bulbs (diy)

Protein skimmer: bubble magus curve a9

Controlling: Digital aquatics reef keeper lite plus

Dosing pump: 2 BRS dosing pump

Return pump: Eheim 1262 universa

Heater: 2X Finnex HMO300w

Wave pump: Maxpect XF230

Test kit: Hanna- alkalinity/
Red Sea calcium pro, Amonia test kit
Salifert magnesium,nitrate

Reactor: BRS dual GFO&carbon

Overflow box: Eshopps Eclipse 1000 GPH

Chiller: will build an heat exchanger system, will be grateful to get some advice.

If there is anything I miss or anything you think I should change, please let me know.
Thanks in advance
Stav.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't run the GFO until the tank has been set up for a while, new tanks need a little phosphate to help get things going. If you phosphate becomes elevate, do a water change to correct it.

Everything else looks good though, be sure to start a build thread and share lot's of pictures :)

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers.
I’m getting in the hobby and need some help before buying the equipment.
My balance for the setup is between 2.000-2.500$
Up to now I made a list but I’m not sure about it and will be happy to get some help.
So, the tank size is 90cmX60cmX60cm
The stand height will be 80cm

Light: will be Radion Xr15w g4 pro Or 30w g4 pro, hybrid with 4 T5 bulbs (diy)

Protein skimmer: bubble magus curve a9

Controlling: Digital aquatics reef keeper lite plus

Dosing pump: 2 BRS dosing pump

Return pump: Eheim 1262 universa

Heater: 2X Finnex HMO300w

Wave pump: Maxpect XF230

Test kit: Hanna- alkalinity/
Red Sea calcium pro, Amonia test kit
Salifert magnesium,nitrate

Reactor: BRS dual GFO&carbon

Overflow box: Eshopps Eclipse 1000 GPH

Chiller: will build an heat exchanger system, will be grateful to get some advice.

If there is anything I miss or anything you think I should change, please let me know.
Thanks in advance
Stav.
i assume you are running a sump? what size and are you buying or making?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, and welcome :)

Seems you have a decent plan. Budget seems reasonable (I'd expect to exceed it, but that's what hobbies are for, right?). Equipment list seems like mostly high quality items. You're looking at about 85 gallons, to put things in units I recognize. It's a good size for a new reefer. Big enough to be reasonably easy to keep it stable, small enough that you don't have to rob a bank to build it, or invest in scuba gear to clean it.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the DIY heat exchanger. Most heat exchange systems I've seen use metal coils that can be problematic in a marine aquarium. If your home is maintained reliably under 80 f, a chiller may not be necessary. Fans do a pretty good job preventing overheating, unless it gets real warm in the room.

DA Reefkeeper Lite + A word of warning. I purchased one for my reef a year ago. Loved it... for about 5 months, until it started going nuts. Loosing communications between modules for no apparent reason, outlets sticking in the on or off positions regardless of programming, etc. Went to DA's website, no phone number... anywhere, for support, or anything else. Support email listed, but email sent to the address was returned as undeliverable. Found an 'official' web support forum, which I attempted to join, but never got any response despite repeated attempts.

Yes, they're cheaper than some of the other controller options, but with no customer support, I just can't see recommending them to anyone. I'm a happy Apex user now. The Apex Jr is about a hundred bucks more than the Reefkeeper Lite. IMHO, it's a hundred bucks well spent.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, and welcome :)

Seems you have a decent plan. Budget seems reasonable (I'd expect to exceed it, but that's what hobbies are for, right?). Equipment list seems like mostly high quality items. You're looking at about 85 gallons, to put things in units I recognize. It's a good size for a new reefer. Big enough to be reasonably easy to keep it stable, small enough that you don't have to rob a bank to build it, or invest in scuba gear to clean it.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the DIY heat exchanger. Most heat exchange systems I've seen use metal coils that can be problematic in a marine aquarium. If your home is maintained reliably under 80 f, a chiller may not be necessary. Fans do a pretty good job preventing overheating, unless it gets real warm in the room.

DA Reefkeeper Lite + A word of warning. I purchased one for my reef a year ago. Loved it... for about 5 months, until it started going nuts. Loosing communications between modules for no apparent reason, outlets sticking in the on or off positions regardless of programming, etc. Went to DA's website, no phone number... anywhere, for support, or anything else. Support email listed, but email sent to the address was returned as undeliverable. Found an 'official' web support forum, which I attempted to join, but never got any response despite repeated attempts.

Yes, they're cheaper than some of the other controller options, but with no customer support, I just can't see recommending them to anyone. I'm a happy Apex user now. The Apex Jr is about a hundred bucks more than the Reefkeeper Lite. IMHO, it's a hundred bucks well spent.
for my two cents and knowing that i have only had my new system up for 3 months i also really like the apex and you can grow on it as time goes on. any problems i had there were many people to help and the guys at neptune were very helpful, even when it was lack of knowledge that was the problem..

OP
OP
Stav

Stav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nautical. Be sure I’ll

Scott. You are right, the sump gonna be a DIY one, sized 70cmL x 45cmW x 40cmH

GreyBeard. You made me laugh .
You think Radion Xr15w g4 pro with 4 T5 bulbs will be enough?
About the DA’s, I will change it to Apex, hundred bucks is fair enough for knowing I can have support if needed.

Thanks a lot for all of you guys.

If there is anything someone think I should change/add please let me know.

I’ve been wondering about the wave maker.
I think 1 maxpect gyre 230 will be enough but wasn’t sure if to go on the gyre or Echotech MP40WQD.
What do you think?

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nautical. Be sure I’ll

Scott. You are right, the sump gonna be a DIY one, sized 70cmL x 45cmW x 40cmH

GreyBeard. You made me laugh .
You think Radion Xr15w g4 pro with 4 T5 bulbs will be enough?
About the DA’s, I will change it to Apex, hundred bucks is fair enough for knowing I can have support if needed.

Thanks a lot for all of you guys.

If there is anything someone think I should change/add please let me know.

I’ve been wondering about the wave maker.
I think 1 maxpect gyre 230 will be enough but wasn’t sure if to go on the gyre or Echotech MP40WQD.
What do you think?
i was going to to the gyre and ended up not going that route due to some driver other problems with apex if that matters, i went with the vortek mp40's, i really like not having the wires in the tank and the pumps are very good but a bit pricey..

OP
OP
Stav

Stav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was going to to the gyre and ended up not going that route due to some driver other problems with apex if that matters, i went with the vortek mp40's, i really like not having the wires in the tank and the pumps are very good but a bit pricey..
how many MP40 do i need? is one will be enough or i need at least 2?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many MP40 do i need? is one will be enough or i need at least 2?
You would want at least 2.

As for the gyre's, I prefer them over my MP40's. It is matter of personal preference. They are both fine pumps and both create good flow, just in different manners.

OP
OP
Stav

Stav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would want at least 2.

As for the gyre's, I prefer them over my MP40's. It is matter of personal preference. They are both fine pumps and both create good flow, just in different manners.
All right, so I think I’ll go on 2 Gyres, for my opinion they spread the flow wider and leave less “dead spots”
I really like the mp40 because they are out of the tank and more silence, I will go on the mp40 only if I’ll know that the Radion Xr15w will be enough, I can’t afford my self to buy the XR30w and the 2 Mp40’s because it will cost much more then what I have for this hobby at the moment. So if anybody know to tell me which light to use maybe it will help me to get a decision.
Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right, so I think I’ll go on 2 Gyres, for my opinion they spread the flow wider and leave less “dead spots”
Thanks a lot
I personally feel that the gyres are better if you have a more open rockscape where the longer flow patterns can develop. If you have a lot of rock, the MP40's will provide more flow to their respective sides of the tank. I prefer to design my rock structure and then develop flow to match it.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the mp40 because they are out of the tank and more silence, I will go on the mp40 only if I’ll know that the Radion Xr15w will be enough, I can’t afford my self to buy the XR30w and the 2 Mp40’s because it will cost much more then what I have for this hobby at the moment. So if anybody know to tell me which light to use maybe it will help me to get a decision.
Thanks a lot
a great decision, they are both great and depending on your tank and preference. i have a 300g and i have 3 mp40's and can only run them at 25% or i would have a sandstorm in my tank..@brew12 is correct as it is best to design rock and tank then decided which and how many pumps you will use, you can even have multiple types in one tank if you choose

OP
OP
Stav

Stav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all right thanks for the support everyone.
please do is anybody know any store for equipment close to fort lauderdale fl? ill be there by Saturday.
thanks alot

OP
OP
Stav

Stav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy’s after a bit of time of disappear a short update. This is what I bought up to now.
2 MP’s 40
M1 return pump, even that I heard some bad things about this pump it looks good so I had to try by my self and hope for good.
Apex control
2 XR15w pro Radion light
All Red Sea rest kit
Refractometer for salinity test.
D227659C-F515-4630-94CB-EB98006DCDE4.jpeg

I need to buy in the future dosing pulp and skimmer, it will take me a bit of time to get the rest and start building everything.
Will update you guys, thanks for your help and the way you care! Appreciate that

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back