Help! Wrasse harassing flame hawkfish!

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Seeking some help as what to do here.
After acclimation and adding our new flame hawkfish to the tank, the wrasse (I think it was ID'd on here as a whipfin wrasse after I'd bought it thinking it was a blue flasher) is harassing the hawkfish and nipping at it. The small 2spot bristletooth tang appears to be doing the same but not as rough or continuously as the wrasse.

I've just shut off the lights after not knowing what else to do in the hope the darkness might help settle things down whilst I look for a solution.
I don't have a QT nor a separation box, but if I have to I can get the box today/tomorrow.

Would appreciate any helpful advice.
Thank you!
20210320_133642.jpg

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the hawkfish showing any bite marks or other injuries? If not I would just leave them be and get the seperation box tomorrow

Jimbo7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When adding new fish to an established tank, its not uncommon to see some territory squabbles / hazing for a few days. Keeping the tank dark can definitely help, but if you start to see damage on the hawkfish, a few days of timeout in a QT box for the wrasse will probably help.

I'd recommend keeping the lights off for tomorrow and monitoring the situation.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the hawkfish showing any bite marks or other injuries? If not I would just leave them be and get the seperation box tomorrow
When adding new fish to an established tank, its not uncommon to see some territory squabbles / hazing for a few days. Keeping the tank dark can definitely help, but if you start to see damage on the hawkfish, a few days of timeout in a QT box for the wrasse will probably help.

I'd recommend keeping the lights off for tomorrow and monitoring the situation.
Thank you both for the prompt replies.
Feel a bit better knowing I've done the right thing in terms of shutting down lights etc in the meantime to cool things off.

I didn't seem to notice any injuries just yet but it was looking pretty full on when it was being chased etc. Can imagine how fun it'll be to try and catch the wrasse and into the separation box lol.

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the prompt replies.
Feel a bit better knowing I've done the right thing in terms of shutting down lights etc in the meantime to cool things off.

I didn't seem to notice any injuries just yet but it was looking pretty full on when it was being chased etc. Can imagine how fun it'll be to try and catch the wrasse and into the separation box lol.
Try to do when feeding... bait with food and get em in one swoop

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 1 day without lights I put them on today to see if anything changed and nope.
Got myself a separation box, tried to get the wrasse and put him in it but that fish is an absolute nightmare to try and catch. I managed to get the hawkfish though and decided to put it in the box. At least it'll be safe from being bullied.

Is it likely the aggression from the wrasse will decrease with the hawkfish in the box or because it has lay of the land still it's unlikely to change?

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 1 day without lights I put them on today to see if anything changed and nope.
Got myself a separation box, tried to get the wrasse and put him in it but that fish is an absolute nightmare to try and catch. I managed to get the hawkfish though and decided to put it in the box. At least it'll be safe from being bullied.

Is it likely the aggression from the wrasse will decrease with the hawkfish in the box or because it has lay of the land still it's unlikely to change?
Id try to switch em if possible

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id try to switch em if possible
Cheers. Might have to look at a DIY fish trap or something.
Was losing my patience trying to net the wrasse (kept ducking in and out of the rock work etc) and needed to make a change to keep the hawk safe so just grabbed him as it was a lot easier.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GOT IT!
Finally!
Wow that fish is a jerk. Fish trap didn't seem to work (he was too cautious or too stupid to go into the neck to get the food), what did it in the end was having a door of the separation box open and coaxing it in to the box with some mysis using a turkey baster.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, after nearly a week in the separation box, let it out and first thing it did was pick a fight with the hawkfish who was minding it's own business.
Looks like the wrasse came off 2nd best though as one of its pectoral fins appears to have been damaged/injured in the tussle.

Maybe now it'll learn to leave it alone.
Will continue to monitor though and banish it back to the box if it keeps misbehaving.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back