Herbie Overflow Combining Drains

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm in the middles of planning out a tank swap but with a small upgrade in filtration.

current setup is an Eshopps Eclipse S overflow with both drains going into the sock chamber, and this setup is currently silent after startup gurgles.

upgrade will be a Bubble Magus ARF-S roller filter, however it only really has room for 1 drain in. I was thinking of merging the 2 drains together as pictured below but have doubts regarding operating volume, so I'd like to know if anyone else has plumped a herbie like this.

Test.png

Please let me know if you have done this and whether this was silent/bearable/loud, thank you.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the control valve is still only affecting the original drain and the secondary just has the usual trickle going down it, it should be exactly like it was, silent. Obviously the total capacity is diminished because of losing an outlet although going to a larger diameter at the 'y' if possible could essentially eliminate any worries. I have not done it, just throwing out ideas.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the control valve is still only affecting the original drain and the secondary just has the usual trickle going down it, it should be exactly like it was, silent. Obviously the total capacity is diminished because of losing an outlet although going to a larger diameter at the 'y' if possible could essentially eliminate any worries. I have not done it, just throwing out ideas.
Thank you for your input, I was hoping that would be the case however I'm a bit afraid that the full siphon would not be airtight due to the emergency drain connecting so close to it, and the water from the full siphon would be rushing past the emergency connection causing sounds.

For what it's worth, I don't push much flow through the system, it's a DCP3000 turned down to around 35%

The 2 pipes are also reduced to 3/4" at the overflow and I would be connecting the 2 drains back into 1" at the bottom.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 possible save i came up with is a sort of S-bend. this would maybe keep the full siphon away from the possible air bubbles from the emergency drain.

Test 2.png

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, you are concerned about trickling sounds travelling up the emergency drain correct? That might happen and your fix will likely work but also could flush like a toilet if the outflow of the p-trap ever fills. Just more thinking on my part, no facts.

As for siphon, full siphon only exists above your control valve and is quiet because upper air can't get drawn in. After the valve is usually just quieted by the outlet being an inch below water to prevent splashing.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid this at all costs. You wouldn’t know if there was an issue in the main drain, since both the main and the e-drain come together. Part of having a separate drain line is so you can both see and hear water coming out of where it isn’t supposed to be.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid this at all costs. You wouldn’t know if there was an issue in the main drain, since both the main and the e-drain come together. Part of having a separate drain line is so you can both see and hear water coming out of where it isn’t supposed to be.
Welp, too late lol.

I can say it is quiet and works fine.
Its a small tank pushing low GPH with no real risk of anything blocking either drains so I'm taking my chances with it.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, too late lol.

I can say it is quiet and works fine.
Its a small tank pushing low GPH with no real risk of anything blocking either drains so I'm taking my chances with it.
1AED2015-BD52-4F96-B49F-4D3AFF001101.jpeg

Was the goal just to have both drains in the filter sock…? Because the e-drain you really want to keep a couple inches above the water so you get an audible alarm from the water splashing that the water is being diverted to the e-drain…

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1AED2015-BD52-4F96-B49F-4D3AFF001101.jpeg

Was the goal just to have both drains in the filter sock…? Because the e-drain you really want to keep a couple inches above the water so you get an audible alarm from the water splashing that the water is being diverted to the e-drain…
Lol thx for trying to help but I'm guessing you didn't read my opening post.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol thx for trying to help but I'm guessing you didn't read my opening post

“upgrade will be a Bubble Magus ARF-S roller filter, however it only really has room for 1 drain in.”

Did read it actually, just trying to help. Good luck.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back