Here's to a better Reef Aquarium in 2022! What can you do to make that happen?

Do you have reef tank goals for 2022?

• I have a goal but no plan in place

Votes: 179 19.1%
  • I have a goal and a plan in place to get there

Votes: 409 43.6%
  • I haven't thought about a goal but now will consider it

Votes: 91 9.7%
  • I'm flying by the seat of my pants in 2022

Votes: 260 27.7%

• Total voters

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank just reached 1 year old, and I think I want to start really adding some fish. To do so, I will have to build one of those horribly ugly nets for my tank top. Still not sure if it is worth it to me yet. Still, this year will be dedicated to fish husbandry.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are some things YOU PERSONALLY can do better to have a more thriving reef tank in 2022?

Not ignore small bits of algae. Get on them before they are big bits of algae.

2. What are some of your personal reef tank goals for 2022?

Add another system but I want sumpless because I've never tried that. In place of the sump will be canister filter + AWC. That's the plan anyway, lol.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all want a more thriving reef tank! We all want coral to grow abundantly and colorfully, for our fish to be healthy, to have a more stress free saltwater aquarium. So how do we press towards that goal in 2022? What can we do better? What are some things that you know you can be better at? Let's talk about it today!

1. What are some things YOU PERSONALLY can do better to have a more thriving reef tank in 2022?

reef tank success board.jpg
My goal is to start my first reef tank and try not to kill everything or go broke, lol. ;Facepalm

ninjahreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to setting up my innovative marine aio 40gal. Just waiting for shipment at the end of January.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do minimal changes as needed. But mostly stay hands off. Invest in simplifying the regular chores , like water change, testing And execute them more religiously .

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Minimise changes as much possible though I will move to a new home sit will be hard

• Hoping for a bigger tank
  • Colour up - more corals and none can be pink/purple or green.
Rainbow Loop GIF by Reuben Armstrong

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all want a more thriving reef tank! We all want coral to grow abundantly and colorfully, for our fish to be healthy, to have a more stress free saltwater aquarium. So how do we press towards that goal in 2022? What can we do better? What are some things that you know you can be better at? Let's talk about it today!

reef tank success board.jpg
My biggest goal seems simple enough but try to keep my hands out of tank and test my par levels so I can glue corals down. My corals are constantly being knocked off rocks so my hands are in there pretty much daily! I think that maybe why I dont see much coral growth! Now I just need to find some gloves that work! The last ones I bought are to big for my fingers so hard to grab ahold of the frag and also fills up with water so when I take hands out water drips back into tank so almost like not wearing gloves at all. Any recommendations? Are latex safe?

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan for a better tank and reef in 22 is to let it continue to mature and continue to improve my dosing for increased stability. Also want to ensure that i have backups on hand. I would like to upgrade my lights but even that is a risk. Also would like to upgrade my water mixing station from 20 gallons to 40 gallons with more automation as i now have 3 tanks going strong and my son maintains a 75 SW tank in my living room. 21 was first year i utilized quarantine tanks so would like to continue to learn quarantine systems and medications to help more fish flourish. Those are my wishes and what i have been thinking about for 22.

ArtsyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay on my routine of weekly water changes and testing.
Stick to my NYE resolution of Stop buying and adding corals and fish.
Lowering my phosphates.
Sticking to a schedule of limited brands of and additive.
G
oal to keep it simple and enjoy what I have.

AustinBabler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flying by the seat of my pants haha…one thing I’m going to do better at in 22 is QT’ing all my livestock before they go into the display tank. Lost a few fish to velvet and now I have to let my display sit empty for 69 more days. I’ll be adding corals though in the meantime and a few more inverts…might try a BTA with my condy nem…maybe…still thinking about that one

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finalise a few improvements I have been working on for the tank. Going back to a more consistent husbandry and dedicating more time to the tank as its been neglected a bit over the last 2 years.
Tidying up the tank as it grew a bit out of control and some corals need to be tried or moved ....
Testing more consistently to be on top of small details and minimise mishaps. Adding few quality corals and some few higher end fish to raise the level of the tank to what it was before.
Getting my new cube finally full of corals and hopefully having it mature this time. Upgrading my build thread more consistently:)

Helter Skilter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had much success with LPS (too much light and flow, not enough nutrients), so I'm converting my 45g
FW planted cube into one of those dimly lit, looks-like-a-rave systems that are all the rage.

I've got Fiji LR sourced and lighting sorted with an Orphek OR3 Sky Blue and Blue+, with room for a third if needed. Still need a HOB skimmer and WaveMaker (deciding between gyre or a MP10 or two). After that, it's go time.

BillyW

FOWLR while out on the island of Oahu!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna fly by the seat of my pants for sure, my tank looks better and does better when I don’t fart around with it all the time. Haven’t tested anything minus what the Trident tests in months or done water changes since we moved, I don’t get it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back