Hermit Crab on Acropora

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second time i found a blue legged hermit at the tip of this Staghorn frag, last time was a few weeks ago. Is this an indication of something going wrong with the Acro?

D8B8D533-7E96-47C1-91F3-4743F51B1714.jpeg

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, but probably not. I don't keep hermits anymore for this reason. Mine would do this all the time. I'd knock them off and next time I walked by the tank they be in the EXACT same spot. Not sure if they were just going to roost or something else? But it annoyed me enough to pull them out, and never want to buy them again.

SNAILS SNAILS SNAILS

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Cool, they just happens to be at that same spot on the end....guess they like climbing trees.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never considered an all snail clean up clew, but if that's acceptable I may start leaning that way.

ZoaAddiction81

Nems And More Nems
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I woke up to find my Halloween hermit crab eating the back of my new acropora..There is a little bit of the flesh missing on the base of it. Do you think my acro will come back from this ?

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue leg hermits do this occasionally like roosting/resting he soon needs to forage again so he crawls off, but the polyps recede during this venture. I am knew to Acropora so if I see tissue receding I will go all snail crew.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have over 300+ snails in my 75, mostly small and at night the glass is covered with them. When the lights start to ramp up they all go back into the sand, they also keep my sand clean and have many on the rocks also. Check out ReefCleaners.com for the snails, they have a great assortment some as low as $0.15 each.

I got rid of my crabs because they would climb and break branches off of my branching Monti. One day there was close to a dozen on it. Just snails for me, I also have a brittle star and a red crab-like an emerald that I will remove some day. Just snails for me!

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I woke up to find my Halloween hermit crab eating the back of my new acropora..There is a little bit of the flesh missing on the base of it. Do you think my acro will come back from this ?
lol if the coral can't survive losing a couple polyps to a hermit crab I have no idea how it evolved to exist in the ocean.

This is the second time i found a blue legged hermit at the tip of this Staghorn frag, last time was a few weeks ago. Is this an indication of something going wrong with the Acro?
Might be spawning. Often snails/crabs find a high point to release their eggs into the current. If it's climbing to the exact same spot there must be a reason. If it's eating the coral why not eat at the base where there's more polyps and easier access and you are less visible to a predator?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should add these guys are not reef safe and this is known although some sites might list them as safe and lump them with other hermits...

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 76 43.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 49 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back