ChefReeferThomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thomas, I’m 25 & I’ve been keeping freshwater for years. (Live, all natural tanks for schooling fish to cichlids) Decided to start my adventure with a 5 gallon pico.

So far, all is going smooth in the establishing phase. I’ve got 2 hermits, and a small baby emerald who I noticed was having his legs ripped off at a local petco by his own kind (way too many in the small display, go figure). I call him stumpy.

About 2 months in now (date established 6/12/21) and she’s passed the ugly diatom phase.

noticing a nice culture of copepods all over the glass. Hoping to stock a small fish before looking towards corals. Any ideas?
5AEA2BA5-421C-4055-965D-FFDD3FE29E25.jpeg

Also any recommendations for a low power wave maker?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thomas, I’m 25 & I’ve been keeping freshwater for years. (Live, all natural tanks for schooling fish to cichlids) Decided to start my adventure with a 5 gallon pico.

So far, all is going smooth in the establishing phase. I’ve got 2 hermits, and a small baby emerald who I noticed was having his legs ripped off at a local petco by his own kind (way too many in the small display, go figure). I call him stumpy.

About 2 months in now (date established 6/12/21) and she’s passed the ugly diatom phase.

noticing a nice culture of copepods all over the glass. Hoping to stock a small fish before looking towards corals. Any ideas?
5AEA2BA5-421C-4055-965D-FFDD3FE29E25.jpeg

Also any recommendations for a low power wave maker?
Hi! So as for the powermaker, i would check out redsea, or the Hydor Koralia 240 gph powerhead. As for fish, i would add a red possum wrasse, two spot blenny, or a pygmy coral groucher. I would choose 2.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
ChefReeferThomas

ChefReeferThomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve definitely felt my wallet get lighter that’s for sure haha! Just getting this thing started has cost a pretty penny, but it’s worth it. I’ve been fascinated with marine biology since I visited the buccoo reef in Tobago while living in Trinidad. But, my real talents and love go to my food, so I consider all this science a “hobby” (more like an obsession…)

OP
OP
ChefReeferThomas

ChefReeferThomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! You’ve come to the right place, as this is the best Reef Community in the world!
What light are you running Over this pico?
30W Nicrew LEDReef, not the best but it’s a start for sure. I don’t have anything to measure it’s output but I’ve had success with their LED’s on my planted freshwater tanks.

It has 18 LEDs that range from 405 nm (UV) to 660 nm (Deep Red). Nicrew claims it has a peak PAR of 100µMol at a depth of 24 inches. Running them dimmed (about 70% intensity)

looking to upgrade in the long run, but I’m on a cooks wage so budget stays tight.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30W Nicrew LEDReef, not the best but it’s a start for sure. I don’t have anything to measure it’s output but I’ve had success with their LED’s on my planted freshwater tanks.

It has 18 LEDs that range from 405 nm (UV) to 660 nm (Deep Red). Nicrew claims it has a peak PAR of 100µMol at a depth of 24 inches. Running them dimmed (about 70% intensity)

looking to upgrade in the long run, but I’m on a cooks wage so budget stays tight.

Hey as long as it works, run it till it burns out!
The Kessil a80 might be a good one to consider
As a replacement when the time comes, somewhat affordable, and puts out enough power to keep a variety of coral and even anemones thriving.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back