Hi all!

biomekanic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into the hobby after a long, long absence.

Way back when I did Q&A for a while on Bob Fenner's Wet Web Media, as P-F.

I set up my 1st tank in 2001, 29g mixed, and quickly moved on a 75 mixed. A bit later, I added a few nanos with mantis shrimp, as they're a favorite.

Had some ups and downs, and a huge down in 2006. I lived a couple of blocks from a railroad track, and they sprayed herb/fungicides on them. 2 days later, all of my tanks died at the same time. At that time, I had no way to prove that's what did it. So, I sold off a lot of things, deep cleaned others, ran carbon, etc. For me, the worst was losing my 1 mantis, Carl. He really was a pet. He'd beg for food, watch us from his tank in our dining/living room during game nights, threaten the cats when they'd look in his tank, etc.

After a few years, I was ready to get back in, and then got laid off in 2008 (day after my b-day). Wound up having to move, completely change careers after a few false starts, got divorced... and a lot of life happened.

And now, I'm finally in a home of mine (just purchased), with room, time, and with a bit of financial juggling, ready to get back into the hobby.

I kind of feeling like a Wright brother watching a jet go over, things have really changed.

The BRS TV videos have been hugely helpful in catching up.

My current dilemma is, I have 2 new 40Bs... do I want to use 1 was a sump, for a mixed softie/LPS, or 2 I want 2 tanks; a mixed and an Tampa Bay Saltwater 'insta reef' with rock flower anemones and mangroves?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Both sound like strong options - the 40B is a flexible tank so it allows for so many possibilities. We're glad you're here!

Clownfish.gif

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back minions.gif

Welcome back to the salty side of life. I personally would go with two tanks, but if you ask my wife she might disagree. Either way, we're glad to have you and looking forward to what you decide.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
...or get two 20L for sumps at the next Petco $1/gallon sale and use the 40B as tanks. So many options!!! :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. It's nice to be in a position to be faced with such a dilemma. Just remember, two systems are going to be roughly twice the start-up and maintenance cost. Hope to hear what you decide and then be able to follow along.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back