Hi, im Helena

Helenoftroye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I'm Helena, im completely new to the hobby. My father passed away two weeks ago after just starting a reef tank.
Ive watched hundreds of youtube videos, read two books and i study veterinary medicine so now im a bit more confident i can make this work.
But ive come to realise everyone does this differently. Whatever question I have there are hundreds of different answers.
How do you find your own path in this hobby? How to know who to take advice from?
I dont really want to learn by trail and error considering those are living beings.
Its a beautiful hobby I just wish there was a consensus on certain things.
Also here are pictures of our set up.

IMG_20220731_133943.jpg
IMG_20220731_134607.jpg

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

That's a beautiful looking setup so far!

A good way to filter out advice is to take it from people that are trying to accomplish similar goals to yourself. Find people that have similar setups and tank inhabitants that have been successful.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My condolences. Welcome to R2R. U have a great start. Just go slow research from books and quality papers. Ask questions. Use good quality source water. Test. People are helpful but check the info they give and ask to see their tanks. Don’t change too many variables if
02F35BDF-0EC1-4516-94F8-B225A51C69D9.gif
things seem off. Changes u see now may have started weeks to month prior. Good luck on the journey

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Helena. Your tank looks very well designed so that makes the mechanics of reefing a lot easier.

The reefing hobby is part science, part art, part magic and part luck. There are lots of ways to succeed. But the different advice from different people can not only be confusing but counter-productive.

The best advice I can give is to choose a mentor, local if possible, but there are many knowledgeable people online as well. Pick one or two to mainly follow and seek their advice. Look through build threads on R2R looking for tanks similar in concept to what you want to obtain. Then read their threads, thoroughly. Especially the parts were they discuss how they handled challenges or their reasons for decisions they made. Ask questions when you have issues but always take that advice with a grain of salt as what works for one person, or even a large group of people, may not be the best solution for your tank. Every aquarium becomes its own, unique, miniature ecosystem.

Good luck, have fun and remember that patience is the single biggest success factor in the reefing hobby.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I'm Helena, im completely new to the hobby. My father passed away two weeks ago after just starting a reef tank.
Ive watched hundreds of youtube videos, read two books and i study veterinary medicine so now im a bit more confident i can make this work.
But ive come to realise everyone does this differently. Whatever question I have there are hundreds of different answers.
How do you find your own path in this hobby? How to know who to take advice from?
I dont really want to learn by trail and error considering those are living beings.

IMG_20220731_133943.jpg
IMG_20220731_134607.jpg
Welcome to R2R! R2R is a good resource but do find a local group and talk to your local LFS. There are many MACNA groups that provide members a good resource and like minded people.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

IMG_20220731_133943.jpg
IMG_20220731_134607.jpg
Welcome to R2R and reefing! I am sorry for your loss. I treat reefing like a recipe. There are a few foundation ingredients that every reefer needs. Start with those, and add to your recipe as you gain experience.

The foundation is water quality, lighting, and flow. There are hundreds of ways to accomplish it, but I suggest finding one that fits your budget and lifestyle.

I usually take a sprinkle of others advice when trying something new, and see which works for me. It sounds like you are already on your way to an awesome reef tank. Feel free to ask more questions, and share your journey. Happy Reefing!

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the group. Lots of great people and advice here. Experience is always the best teacher. Read threads that show people‘s success, but just as important, read about people‘s failures. Failures are where our best experience comes from. Also, Learning what not to do is just as important as knowing what to do. The best advice I received when I started was don’t go fast and don’t over react. View, test, analyze and then ask questions on the forum. If you go slow, you’ll do great.

Jetson

Back