OP
B

Blackcoupe369

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API?

Please take your water to a fish store and have it tested.

API isn't a bad kit, but it can give false readings if not run properly.

Get a second opinion from a fish store and then move forward.
I don’t have someone to look after the fish. I am 3 weeks along into the cycle. High ammonia and high nitrites, nitrates should be on the way shortly? I want to do whatever I can to ensure the health of my 2 clownfish so they have a nice home

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been doing excellent despite the high test readings. Should I still dose the tank with bacteria? It’s been 3 weeks
I'd do what @Erin1971Texas suggested and take a water sample to a decent LFS and get it tested.
Adding bacteria certainly won't do any harm.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have someone to look after the fish. I am 3 weeks along into the cycle. High ammonia and high nitrites, nitrates should be on the way shortly? I want to do whatever I can to ensure the health of my 2 clownfish so they have a nice home
Either you're not understanding my reply or this (above) was on response to someone else.

I've recommended:
1. Adding bacteria
2. Getting your water tested by a fish store
3. Making sure your tests are being performed correctly.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot have high ammonia and still have living clownfish.

Something else is going on.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it, how high is high? Did we get a number? Ime, there is nothing wrong with API for cycling, you just have to be aware that .25 ammonia is likely 0. If you never added bacteria, there probably just isn't enough to process it, I'd start there. Also in my experience, ammonia isn't necessarily a death sentence for clowns, they're about as hardy as they get.

OP
OP
B

Blackcoupe369

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it, how high is high? Did we get a number? Ime, there is nothing wrong with API for cycling, you just have to be aware that .25 ammonia is likely 0. If you never added bacteria, there probably just isn't enough to process it, I'd start there. Also in my experience, ammonia isn't necessarily a death sentence for clowns, they're about as hardy as they get.
Was super high at maximum reading of 8 ppm so I immediately did a 50% water change and it now reads 4 ppm

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So because it may not kill them right away, just burn their gills and make them suffer, then it's ok?

I agree and have already said that I highly doubt he has a "high" ammonia level. But to imply that sacrificing a fish's wellbeing because it's hardy and might survive is ok is just cruel.

OP
OP
B

Blackcoupe369

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• D5937795-5185-4C59-966F-82747935885A.jpeg
    D5937795-5185-4C59-966F-82747935885A.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
B

Blackcoupe369

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t see the color? Forget the PH and nitrates… obviously ammonia and nitrites are out of whack

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So because it may not kill them right away, just burn their gills and make them suffer, then it's ok?

I agree and have already said that I highly doubt he has a "high" ammonia level. But to imply that sacrificing a fish's wellbeing because it's hardy and might survive is ok is just cruel.
I did not imply anything. That was just a rebuttal to saying you can't have high ammonia and living clowns. You absolutely can, I was not speaking to the comfort at all. But cycling with clowns or damsels is nothing new, we have developed a more humane way to do it, but the damage is already done. I didn't even know how high anything was at the time of my response.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furthermore, the test doesn't even look right. Are you SURE you tested correctly. I don't know how ammonia would test to show that light blue. The color just doesn't make sense, how do you transition from pee yellow, to forest green, to light blue at 8+

OP
OP
B

Blackcoupe369

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furthermore, the test doesn't even look right. Are you SURE you tested correctly. I don't know how ammonia would test to show that light blue. The color just doesn't make sense, how do you transition from pee yellow, to forest green, to light blue at 8+
I 100% tested correctly. Attached is the 8 ppm reading

Attachments

• 81DCF6E9-9BFD-421B-9277-8B67C26ED2C7.jpeg
    81DCF6E9-9BFD-421B-9277-8B67C26ED2C7.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
B

Blackcoupe369

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% tested correctly.
Please place the test tubes on a white surface

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU
I have a bio brick in my filter. I can still add bio spira?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% tested correctly.

I have a bio brick in my filter. I can still add bio spira?
A bio brick is simply a place for bacteria to colonize.
Yes, you can still add nitrifying bacteria.

Please read the first link I posted.

OP
OP
B

Blackcoupe369

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bio brick is simply a place for bacteria to colonize.
Yes, you can still add nitrifying bacteria.

Please read the first link I posted.
Ok great. I’ll be adding some tomorrow. Sorry for all the questions. Just want a solid understanding and hear what other have to say. Thanks for all of the help!

Vincerama2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is someone with a saltwater tank near you (including the fish store) grab some of their water or better yet, swap some rock with them, after checking that they have no pests on their rocks. Rock or sand from an established tank will have the bacteria you need to cycle your tank and bacteria multiply very quickly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back