OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I’ve seen quite the opposite regarding color and health when they’re high of levels as you suggest. In fact, I see better coloration, health, PE, when levels are low, in my own and many seasoned hobbyists tanks. I’m sure we all agree you need some, but not double digit NO3 or residual levels that high.
i have seen the best results when my no3 is between 16 and 32 and my po4 is between .04 and .08 i am not claiming to be an expert so maybe they do look better for others at lowers levels. Im just sharing what works for me :)

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Shane! Looking forward to seeing that new tank grow out. Take your time with it though. I thought I'd have my new tank fully stocked and growing by now, but even though I've used water, rocks, sand and bio material from my other DT, the chemistry still hasn't balanced out. I have about 5 colonies in the new tank and they are doing OK, but not thriving yet so I'm letting them settle before proceeding with more. my new tank has been running since 4/21 so coming up on 5 months now. Slow and steady...

Laurens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have anoxic areas in your tank (rocks or 3'' sand beds) there will be bacteria there that convert your no3. So it might not be the corals that are consuming the no3 but the bacteria. There is also some research that suggest that corals prefer ammonia over no3, so it might be that the corals just use the ammonia from feedings and the added no3 does little for them.

Last edited:

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if you like different shades of brown and khaki...
“Brown and khaki”? Hmmmmm? So many thoughts running through my head right now. What to say? Or what to do? Guess that means you don’t want that pack we were discussing last night?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Brown and khaki”? Hmmmmm? So many thoughts running through my head right now. What to say? Or what to do? Guess that means you don’t want that pack we were discussing last night?
Leave my pack out of this.
I love your khaki colors, Charlie from State Farm.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Looks great Shane! Looking forward to seeing that new tank grow out. Take your time with it though. I thought I'd have my new tank fully stocked and growing by now, but even though I've used water, rocks, sand and bio material from my other DT, the chemistry still hasn't balanced out. I have about 5 colonies in the new tank and they are doing OK, but not thriving yet so I'm letting them settle before proceeding with more. my new tank has been running since 4/21 so coming up on 5 months now. Slow and steady...
thanks for the advice :) I want to rush so bad and just stick like 100 frags on rocks but i want to be sure the params are stable 1st. I am going to hook a Triton to it next week so can start to monitor stuff

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure we all agree you need some, but not double digit NO3 or residual levels that high.
Isn’t that kind of an odd comment to make when looking at the OP’s photos, it clearly works for him? Extremely well I’d add, amazing colonies.

Beauty of this hobby, plenty of ways to accomplish the same thing.

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Totally agree especially when WWC and other high end coral vendors have mentioned having nitrates in the double digits

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree especially when WWC and other high end coral vendors have mentioned having nitrates in the double digits
Do you have anything to refer to on wwc params? I recently asked wwc if they where running higher nutrients and it was denied and reffered me to the lagoon build where they are running much lower nutrients than are rumored.
Again my corals seem to do much better where the OP is running them in this thread.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t that kind of an odd comment to make when looking at the OP’s photos, it clearly works for him? Extremely well I’d add, amazing colonies.

Beauty of this hobby, plenty of ways to accomplish the same thing.
The only odd comment is your comment about it being odd.

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Do you have anything to refer to on wwc params? I recently asked wwc if they where running higher nutrients and it was denied and reffered me to the lagoon build where they are running much lower nutrients than are rumored.
Again my corals seem to do much better where the OP is running them in this thread.
Watch the BRS YouTube Wwc/brs hybrid method videos they mention all their parameters and lighting it schedules

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch the BRS YouTube Wwc/brs hybrid method videos they mention all their parameters and lighting it schedules
Right on thats odd they would deny it when i asked them pretty pointedly. Perhaps they don't want the secrets out lol
I will check out the series for sure.

Anyhow apologies to @shane backer for boggling up thread with nutrients talk.
Those colonies are probably the best I've seen no doubt!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for more nutrient talk. Going to test my nitrates now.
9a2684c4213171476e13732af3b26537.jpg

I've got one right here that nobody seems to want to get into. Lol

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shane love having you here to share your knowledge with us! Thank you!

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along to gather any tips I can! I never used to believe that the colors of your coral or others like it were real until I saw some in person. Somehow, I think they look even more stunning in person :)

Do you believe your method would work well on a mixed reef as well? I am just starting to collect some higher end acros as I am able, but still have a tank with various other SPS, as well as a few SPS and a collection of zoas.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back