OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Good video Shane. With that much water volume and coral, why not run a calcium reactor as opposed to dosing? I can see the need to dose a lot based on your SPS load.
I probally should use a calcium reactor. I just always used 2 part and its been good to me.. so i dont want to change what has worked.. in my main system im dosing 180ML a day of alk..

FFKiwi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys after 3 years I feel like this tank is decent enough and need to start a new tank... I set up a new 120 Gallon Display tank with some bonsai tree Rock work and plan to select some frags from the main display for this new tenuis grow out. its going to be a long journey replicating the main system parameters and growing the selected frags out. I am also excited to see how the radian g5s compare to the g4s. In the current tank they are grown using the g4s and the new tank will be the g5s.

hoarder.jpg

full tank.jpg

jungle.jpg
Shane? Absolutely amazing. I would like to try the
Hi guys after 3 years I feel like this tank is decent enough and need to start a new tank... I set up a new 120 Gallon Display tank with some bonsai tree Rock work and plan to select some frags from the main display for this new tenuis grow out. its going to be a long journey replicating the main system parameters and growing the selected frags out. I am also excited to see how the radian g5s compare to the g4s. In the current tank they are grown using the g4s and the new tank will be the g5s.

hoarder.jpg

full tank.jpg

jungle.jpg
Shane! Absolutely spectacular. Hey I wish to try some Tenuis next. I have always wanted to if i can find some somewhere. You said you run a higher nutrient tank as that's what they like specifically?

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Shane? Absolutely amazing. I would like to try the

Shane! Absolutely spectacular. Hey I wish to try some Tenuis next. I have always wanted to if i can find some somewhere. You said you run a higher nutrient tank as that's what they like specifically?
I run my no3 between 16 and 32 and my po4 around .08.. they seem to like it

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
are you going to post any of your super hot fire on here?!
Yes of course I will post tons of pictures. Stay tuned!!!!!!!! the Idea is as i cut frags for the new display i will share all the mother pics also, as well as progress shots of each of the tenuis Frags. Since you asked Ill start with this one.. This is the SBB " Half Baked"- these pics are courtesy of Michael Vargas! @MichaelVargasPhotography

post this.jpeg

bakkked.jpeg

DQ_leqaE.jpeg

Last edited:

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes of course I will post tons of pictures. Stay tuned!!!!!!!! the Idea is as i cut frags for the new display i will share all the mother pics also, as well as progress shots of each of the tenuis Frags. Since you asked Ill start with this one.. This is the SBB " Half Baked"- these pics are courtesy of Michael Vargas! @MichaelVargasPhotography

post this.jpeg

bakkked.jpeg

DQ_leqaE.jpeg
Insane man. Props to photographer as well! Yeah I'm gonna be setting up the new DT real soon!

When you say live rock in the video what kind are we talking about?

Scott71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to keep a very high Nutrient tank. I like my no3 between 16 and 30 and po4 between .04 and 08 so the snails are well fed by all the algae that grows. If i take all the snails out i would just have A green tank with Algae covered everywhere its amazing how much the snails eat.

Here is a video of when the tank was cycling and I just got the snails.. they literally cleaned the whole tank- now they just eat and keep the new alage from coming back

What type of snails are you keeping in there?

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Insane man. Props to photographer as well! Yeah I'm gonna be setting up the new DT real soon!

When you say live rock in the video what kind are we talking about?
well i didn't mean live rock. it is live now.. but it was the brs dry rock that i used... and yea @MichaelVargasPhotography is the bet coral photographer I have seen, im Lucky to have had him over...

Scott71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are Astrea Snails. i don't use any crabs because crabs can pick on things ;Bored

Do you keep any margarita or trochus? I know astrea are sometimes a pain because the can’t upright themselves. I also didn’t think they really took care of hair algae?

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Do you keep any margarita or trochus? I know astrea are sometimes a pain because the can’t upright themselves. I also didn’t think they really took care of hair algae?

I only Keep Astrea.. they seems to like all algae expect for Biopsies.. never had an issue with them not being able to up themselves

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Back to the new tank update.

The tank has now been running for 8 months and its time to get the paraments in check. I won’t put any SPS into the system until I think the paraments are optimal and 2-part doser setup with the ato ect… this is literally the 1st time testing paraments ever, so I had no idea what to expect. I think it could take another 4-8 weeks to get everything right before sps go in. but we will see

I have installed the Neptune apex and Triton and calibrated the unit And I have Taken the 1st reading of the new Parameters with the triton. (See screenshot below of the Triton results screen)

Installing the Triton and Calibration

Triton Calibration.jpg

The Triton is reading:

Alk -6.04

Calc -392

Mag -1449

Salt- 19.1

Temp -78.3

ORP -332

Triton Results.jpg

PH-I need a new pH probe as the current on is not showing a reading. this will come later

Results conclusion- something is off with the salt I need to adjuster the probe. Alk is reading around 1.0 less then Manuel kits ( Manual test kits results below. Calcium and Magnesium are on track with Manuel kits. Need to raise Alk to 8.4. Magnesium are at good levels and calcium need to come up to 450

I have also tested at the same time with my Manuel test kits (see pic below to check the levels against the triton and to also check n03 and po4)

For my test kits I use

Alk- Salifert

Calcium- Salifert

Mag- Salifert

No3- Red sea pro high range

Po4- Red seal pro

all test kits.jpg

Testting.jpg

Those test results are

Alk-7.0

Calc- 400

Mag- 1470

No3 64 (this is off the charts and will be a battle to bring down)

Po4-.04-.08

Salt 1.028

Temp 77.4

Manully results.jpg

po4 results

po4 result.jpg

no3 Results

no3 result.jpg

salinity results

salt result.jpg

Results conclusion of Manuel test – Alk is 1.0 Higher than Triton test Need to Raise alk to 8.4. Mag and Calc are both in line with the triton test. Calc needs to come up to 450. *** the No3 is very high and this will be my main battle to bring down. Salt needs to come down to 1.026.

Stay tuned as I have also sent in a ICP triton test on the same day as the above was tested. It will be interesting to see how the levels compare to the Above. I also rely on triton to test Potassium, Iodine and other important levels as the manually test kits are a pain. I am expecting the triton back in about a week. I will also post shortly my method for raising Alk and Calc Ect to meet the needed levels. Then it will be an ongoing battle to reduce No3 which will be the next task and further posting.

As always, I welcome and encourage any questions that you all may have so don’t hold back and please ask.. for this build I am trying to replicate the same parameters and method from the main SPS system which is shown on the 1st post thread. I have been getting so many questions on my methods that i found it best to show how i replicate the SBB methods in this new build and i hope one day newcomers can follow this thread forum as a guide.

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you are a big fan of changing out RO/DI filtration on a schedule and not allowing it to show impurities then replacing. What exactly are you replacing? DI Resin? Membranes? Prefilters, carbon?

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I know you are a big fan of changing out RO/DI filtration on a schedule and not allowing it to show impurities then replacing. What exactly are you replacing? DI Resin? Membranes? Prefilters, carbon?

I will review the full water changing system in a future post and will show this in detail as well as the routine. i will also be building and upgrading the whole overall system so will be showing this mini build later in this thread. but to answer your question. I currently have a 150gpd rodi System. I change out both membranes every 8 weeks and also i change all the other things like Carbon blocks, Sediment Filters and RoDI resin Every 4 weeks. I am making about 100 Gallons per week or 400 per month. Some might think my Method for this is overkill but im crazy when it comes to 0 TDS...I always read 5 dts going into the 1st RODI resin and 0 in between the 1st and 2nd Resin Chamber and 0 coming out. I never let it get to 1 in between the 2 resin chambers> i will go into much more detail about this in future threads... once i build out the new water mixing station should be within the next 3 months stay tuned!!!

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will review the full water changing system in a future post and will show this in detail as well as the routine. i will also be building and upgrading the whole overall system so will be showing this mini build later in this thread. but to answer your question. I currently have a 150gpd rodi System. I change out both membranes every 8 weeks and also i change all the other things like Carbon blocks, Sediment Filters and RoDI resin Every 4 weeks. I am making about 100 Gallons per week or 400 per month. Some might think my Method for this is overkill but im crazy when it comes to 0 TDS...I always read 5 dts going into the 1st RODI resin and 0 in between the 1st and 2nd Resin Chamber and 0 coming out. I never let it get to 1 in between the 2 resin chambers> i will go into much more detail about this in future threads... once i build out the new water mixing station should be within the next 3 months stay tuned!!!
Curious what your source water TDS is?

Back