elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something new we just pulled from the back.. this one will need a good name :)

20210726_180517.jpg
20210726_180347.jpg
Stunning!

Cream Soda. There ya go, done. LOL

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
We are running a Contest for a name game of the new tenuis. Click the link below to join :) we cant wait to see what you come up with

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
almost half? so if the nyos is reading 20 then the hanna is reading 10?
Correct. The "colors" on Salifert cover a large range though. Like 10-25 for a given color.

Hanna numbered 8.8

Still early, but pretty sure I am a fan of the Hanna HR.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
that sounds like a close range. Mine was way off from the Red sea pro.. Red sea pro was 30 and hanna was 75

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hat sounds like a close range. Mine was way off from the Red sea pro.. Red sea pro was 30 and hanna was 75
Hi Shane,

Being a devil's advocate here. When you get more NO3 reagent, you may want to test with a different test tube or question the accuracy not just your red sea pro but also your new Hanna tester.

I ran an ATI ICP test on my tank last month before I had my Hanna NO3 tester this month.

My Red Sea Pro NO3 test was 16 vs ATI ICP NO3 level of 17.91
My Hanna ULR PO4 was 0.13 vs ATI ICP PO4 of 0.13

When I tested my new Hanna HR NO3 --14 vs the Red Sea Pro--16. The numbers were only a couple points off.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hi Shane,

Being a devil's advocate here. When you get more NO3 reagent, you may want to test with a different test tube or question the accuracy not just your red sea pro but also your new Hanna tester.

I ran an ATI ICP test on my tank last month before I had my Hanna NO3 tester this month.

My Red Sea Pro NO3 test was 16 vs ATI ICP NO3 level of 17.91
My Hanna ULR PO4 was 0.13 vs ATI ICP PO4 of 0.13

When I tested my new Hanna HR NO3 --14 vs the Red Sea Pro--16. The numbers were only a couple points off.
Thanks for the writeup once I get new Hanna test packages for the n03 I'll be testing it like crazy

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hello Everybody,

I hope you are all well and enjoying your summer! We want to start a discussion about trace elements, Triton ICP tests, and dosing. Trace elements and overdosing ultimately lead to a tank crash.

As a lot of you know, we are doing red sea ABCD at 5ML per day in our 550 Gallon SPS system. We use ESV Ionic 2 Part alk and calc, which claims to have trace elements, and do water changes with tropic marine pro salt at 18 percent per week.

Now, the question is, how do we dose trace elements to keep up with the coral demands? Our tank is packed rim to rim with tenuis colonies making our up-and-down seesaw crazy. Since we dose ABCD and really have no idea what is in it as well as Tropic Marine Pro salt and ESV 2 part, we decided to send in Triton ICP Tests for each of the A B C and D red sea bottles: ESV Ionic Alc, ESV Ionic Calc, as well as the Tropic Marine pro salt, all attached in this thread. Feel free to download and review all of the results.

We are all watching for trace elements for various reasons. Here are some of them:

We are watching Iodine for SPS Tenuis Corals as we feel Iodine at 0 is generally bad for our tanks. We know that Iodine in the 80-100 Range is ideal while Iodine at 0 can cause Bleaching, Slow Growth, and RTN. After doing our research, it seems that nobody is able to pinpoint why Iodine is important but Forums like those below show that many users experience the same problem. Lack of Iodine causes issues while then dosing iodine shows favorable results within weeks. The link below is a good read for this.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/effects-of-iodine-in-sps.254065/

We are watching Strontium as we feel that Strontium Levels for Sps Tenuis Corals should be in the range of 10-12 to promote healthy corals; when SPS corals are fragged at these higher strontium levels, the corals heal up faster.

Here is a good read on Strontium:

https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-chemistry-strontium-and-the-reef-aquarium/

We are watching many other developments and will discuss them in future topics. Let us know which trace elements you are monitoring and dosing along with what effect they have on SPS corals.

Now, back to our topic. Our recent triton test showed that we were high on some trace elements, but we didn't realize why. For example, we are always testing high on Potassium, Iron, and a few other things so we decided to send in triton tests for everything we are dosing plus the salt mix. What we have found is that a lot of the A, B, C, and D red sea products have many of the same elements and using multiple ones can easily and quickly lead to overdosing.

Two examples are highlighted below:

First, let’s look at a study of Potassium. The bottle labeled A, which is Iodine, has a ton of Potassium - at 4171 MG/L, it’s off the charts. bottle B labeled Potassium has 8778 MG/L, while ESV 2 Part Calcium has 2723 MG/L, and Tropic Marine Pro has 352 MG/L. We were also dosing Brightwell Neontiro which also has a ton of Potassium; we since stopped and are now dosing pure Sodium Nitrate, because we don't want to dose more potassium – LOL. In our 550 Gallon system, our Potassium levels are 718 MG/L. With all of these trace elements being dosed, you can see how easily the Potassium can rise and lead to overdosing. I am concerned that a lot of Hobbyists are flying blind and start dosing too many of these products and eventually have a tank crash as a result of a build-up.

Let's go through yet another example. In our 550 Gallon system, another Element that is always high for us is Iron. Currently, our Iron is at 5.6 UG/L. This is relatively high, and we had no idea why, until we sent in a Triton ICP test for everything we are using and dosing. Starting with the red sea ABCD products, the bottle labeled A Iodine has 464 UG/L Iron, B Potassium has 172 UG/L Iron, C has 281733 UG/L iron, and finally, the bottle Labeled D Bioactive Elements has 2056 UG/L Iron. Tropic Marine Reef pro has 47 UG/L Iron. As you can, it is no wonder that we have high Iron. This is just another example of how dosing blind can lead to the overdosing and crashing of a tank.

Another thing to note is that we are only dosing 5ML per day of Red Sea ABCD which is much less than the recommended dose. Since our tank is packed with Tenuis Colonies, these trace elements are reduced. Keep in mind that we are much lower than the recommended dosage for these elements. If a general hobbyist follows the normal recommended dosage and has less coral, an overdose will happen even faster, leading to a crash.

In conclusion, be careful dosing trace elements and don’t dose blindly. It could lead to a crash, and without testing and monitoring everything, you won't know why. We will continue to test and tweak to try and find balance with our trace elements. We are now considering dosing individual elements instead of the current ones for our trace element supplements in order to attain the desired ranges. We hope you can also use these Triton ICP tests as a guide in your reefing, and that this answers some of the questions you may have on why your corals don't look well or your tank is crashing.

We hope you will contribute to this discussion as we also would like to learn from your experiences. Thanks for taking the time to read this write up.

Attachments

• esv alk - 08_04_2021 (B-lZg6PP) (1).pdf
    159.6 KB · Views: 85
  • esv calcium - 08_04_2021 (B-K5M3aL) (1).pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 56
  • marine tropical Pro - 08_04_2021 (B-oPY28r) (1).pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 87
  • red sea A Iodine - 08_12_2021 (B-oqx12a).pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 66
  • red sea B Potassium- 08_12_2021 (B-oPY2Ry).pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 73
  • red sea C Iron- 08_12_2021 (B-0Aa2g5).pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 69
  • red sea D Bioactive - 08_12_2021 (B-0LP2dW).pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 560 Gallons SBB Farm- 08_12_2021 (B-0DN2Zn).pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 82

akaimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear about the crash Shane. Thanks so much for doing the icp tests. This is so valuable!! The days of bottled snake oil is over. Thanks to ICP!!

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Very sorry to hear about the crash Shane. Thanks so much for doing the icp tests. This is so valuable!! The days of bottled snake oil is over. Thanks to ICP!!
Well we didn't have a crash..but i think we may have had a crash if we didn't analyze all this.

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello Everybody,

I hope you are all well and enjoying your summer! We want to start a discussion about trace elements, Triton ICP tests, and dosing. Trace elements and overdosing ultimately lead to a tank crash.

As a lot of you know, we are doing red sea ABCD at 5ML per day in our 550 Gallon SPS system. We use ESV Ionic 2 Part alk and calc, which claims to have trace elements, and do water changes with tropic marine pro salt at 18 percent per week.

Now, the question is, how do we dose trace elements to keep up with the coral demands? Our tank is packed rim to rim with tenuis colonies making our up-and-down seesaw crazy. Since we dose ABCD and really have no idea what is in it as well as Tropic Marine Pro salt and ESV 2 part, we decided to send in Triton ICP Tests for each of the A B C and D red sea bottles: ESV Ionic Alc, ESV Ionic Calc, as well as the Tropic Marine pro salt, all attached in this thread. Feel free to download and review all of the results.

We are all watching for trace elements for various reasons. Here are some of them:

We are watching Iodine for SPS Tenuis Corals as we feel Iodine at 0 is generally bad for our tanks. We know that Iodine in the 80-100 Range is ideal while Iodine at 0 can cause Bleaching, Slow Growth, and RTN. After doing our research, it seems that nobody is able to pinpoint why Iodine is important but Forums like those below show that many users experience the same problem. Lack of Iodine causes issues while then dosing iodine shows favorable results within weeks. The link below is a good read for this.

We are watching Strontium as we feel that Strontium Levels for Sps Tenuis Corals should be in the range of 10-12 to promote healthy corals; when SPS corals are fragged at these higher strontium levels, the corals heal up faster.

We are watching many other developments and will discuss them in future topics. Let us know which trace elements you are monitoring and dosing along with what effect they have on SPS corals.

Now, back to our topic. Our recent triton test showed that we were high on some trace elements, but we didn't realize why. For example, we are always testing high on Potassium, Iron, and a few other things so we decided to send in triton tests for everything we are dosing plus the salt mix. What we have found is that a lot of the A, B, C, and D red sea products have many of the same elements and using multiple ones can easily and quickly lead to overdosing.

First, let’s look at a study of Potassium. The bottle labeled A, which is Iodine, has a ton of Potassium - at 4171 MG/L, it’s off the charts. bottle B labeled Potassium has 8778 MG/L, while ESV 2 Part Calcium has 2723 MG/L, and Tropic Marine Pro has 352 MG/L. We were also dosing Brightwell Neontiro which also has a ton of Potassium; we since stopped and are now dosing pure Sodium Nitrate, because we don't want to dose more potassium – LOL. In our 550 Gallon system, our Potassium levels are 718 MG/L. With all of these trace elements being dosed, you can see how easily the Potassium can rise and lead to overdosing. I am concerned that a lot of Hobbyists are flying blind and start dosing too many of these products and eventually have a tank crash as a result of a build-up.

Let's go through yet another example. In our 550 Gallon system, another Element that is always high for us is Iron. Currently, our Iron is at 5.6 UG/L. This is relatively high, and we had no idea why, until we sent in a Triton ICP test for everything we are using and dosing. Starting with the red sea ABCD products, the bottle labeled A Iodine has 464 UG/L Iron, B Potassium has 172 UG/L Iron, C has 281733 UG/L iron, and finally, the bottle Labeled D Bioactive Elements has 2056 UG/L Iron. Tropic Marine Reef pro has 47 UG/L Iron. As you can, it is no wonder that we have high Iron. This is just another example of how dosing blind can lead to the overdosing and crashing of a tank.

Another thing to note is that we are only dosing 5ML per day of Red Sea ABCD which is much less than the recommended dose. Since our tank is packed with Tenuis Colonies, these trace elements are reduced. Keep in mind that we are much lower than the recommended dosage for these elements. If a general hobbyist follows the normal recommended dosage and has less coral, an overdose will happen even faster, leading to a crash.

In conclusion, be careful dosing trace elements and don’t dose blindly. It could lead to a crash, and without testing and monitoring everything, you won't know why. We will continue to test and tweak to try and find balance with our trace elements. We are now considering dosing individual elements instead of the current ones for our trace element supplements in order to attain the desired ranges. We hope you can also use these Triton ICP tests as a guide in your reefing, and that this answers some of the questions you may have on why your corals don't look well or your tank is crashing.

We hope you will contribute to this discussion as we also would like to learn from your experiences. Thanks for taking the time to read this write up.
Personally, I feel like your study regarding all these trace element products reassured me that we really shouldn’t be blindly dosing anything that we can’t test for. Whether that’s trace elements, amino acids or even some types of food.
I have stopped trying to find a “miracle product” that is going to give me more growth or better color and I have been trusting my weekly 10-20% water changes. I quit dosing any kind of additive (minus 2 part) back in February and I can say that my system has been thriving and my sticks seem to be growing and coloring quite nicely. I do attribute some of my success with my home made frozen coral and fish food. There is a decent amount of particulate matter for the corals in this mix. That food and my religious water changes have worked remarkably for me.

Shane, I’d like to know why you feel that you need to dose an additive rather than maybe setting up an auto water change system?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Shane for sharing these results. I've not dosed Red Sea elements, but am a fairly large consumer of ESV 2-Part. Looking at those numbers I was very surprised to see Hg (mercury!) in the Calcium solution. No more ornamental sushi for me. :)

But I was not at all surprised to see high levels of LI (Lithium). I have always tested high for lithium and was blaming IORC. Perhaps I misplaced the blame after all. Either way, my corals were never bothered and my fish rarely exhibit any signs of depression either.

So the samples you sent were fully concentrated and not diluted with NSW?

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everybody,

Oh dayum maybe thats why i had 2 sps stn on me recently. I also dose ESV b ionic and started red sea ABCD a couple weeks ago, have noticed a lower alk consumption. Im gonna have to do an ICP test.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly water changes and a little of KZ products, corals have never looked better. I don’t think KZ is snake oil, it works, but I only use sparingly in a small tank. Gone are the reactors, dosers, gizmos. Hand and eye on approach.
Of course this is only my opinion.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly water changes and a little of KZ products, corals have never looked better. I don’t think KZ is snake oil, it works, but I only use sparingly in a small tank. Gone are the reactors, dosers, gizmos. Hand and eye on approach.
Of course this is only my opinion.
An instrument rating is more than a "nice to have" backup though. Visibility can change faster than you want. Am I wrong?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An instrument rating is more than a "nice to have" backup though. Visibility can change faster than you want. Am I wrong?
You’re not wrong. I have a temp/ ph handheld at the moment if I need to check those. Hanna meters. Sold the Apex. I may try GHL in the future. I’m not relying on a doser, eye and hands on there.

Back