High Nitrates Bio-Pellet Reactor

xjjettx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, quick question, I have a 100gal mixed reef tank with high Nitrates 60ppm and added a OCTO BR-70 Bio-pellet reactor that can hold up to 300ml total and I started with 150ml of bio-pellets with the out-put flow of the reactor directed to the skimmers inflow. After just a few days my protein skimmer stopped skimming and looked like it was running lean "boiling water effect" ran the reactor for a month and no skimmate from protein skimmer. So I stopped the bio-pellet reactor and protein skimmer began working normal again after 6hrs. Any thoughts on why my protein skimmer stopped skimming with the bio-pellet reactor? Ive read its important to run both together for effectiveness...please help someone!!

xjjettx

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't direct the output from the reactor into the skimmer; run them separately if at all possible. I run a skimmer and pair of reactors in the same chamber, but nothing is specifically directed anywhere - and I have a high flow volume that ensures a fresh water supply for everything.

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just direct the reactor output to the previous chamber if possible, or in the same chamber as the skimmer. But not directed exactly at the intake of the skimmer.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think its was your new plastic, did you rinse it , i generally give new pieces a vinegar dip and a scrub prior to putting in use.

150 is fine. just dont change it for at least a few weeks, see where it goes. Watch your alk P and N religiously., if you have alot of corals once the biopellets kick in growth spurt generally starts.

your skimmate will get dryer and stinkier once the BPs start doing their thing

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back