High sulfur levels in Reef Crystals?!

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(BTW, all major manufacturers have cases of bad salt batches. Search R2R or if your prefer ancient information RC)

Last edited by a moderator:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record - I totally trust Aquarium Pharm more than an ICP company. This could change, but this is my opinion at time of this post. They have many decades of reliability and nearly all complaints that I have heard or seen come down to user error.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I woke up this morning to io fan boys personally attacking me for simply stating io has clay in it and when I switch I had immediate posive results

Everything that follows was me defending against trolls

Randy is a troll

I'm calling him out

He trolls me constantly

Knows very little about what they say let alone actually reads anything

I reply to every post that I consider has misleading information. When lots of yours get such attention, it is because they have questionable claims.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I woke up this morning to io fan boys personally attacking me for simply stating io has clay in it and when I switch I had immediate posive results

Everything that follows was me defending against trolls

Randy is a troll

I'm calling him out

He trolls me constantly

Knows very little about what they say let alone actually reads anything

And everything about everything I said today stems from this troll

To each their own

But I get sick of posting personal experiences only for some idiot to get on here and start a fight about somthing that's their personal opinion without any real proof

I show proof and even then it's not enoff

Peace out this fourm has becouse nothing but a bunch of trolls

Io fan boys

Ghl fan boys

And no one can just read what someone's personal experience is without saying they are wrong

You are swinging VERY wide of the mark if you think I’m a Reef Crystals fan boy. I’ve said hundreds of times in hundreds of threads that I do not like it.

But I do not like it for clearly factual reasons; I do not want vitamins or metal chelators in a salt mix.

I greatly prefer normal IO.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you trust a manufacture with known bad bags of salt vs an icp test especially when the op said this is the second test showing similar results

Here's Fauna-Marin, with multiple misses showing sulfur ~double the actual value. This set of misses was in late april 2020 and I have seen no similar bad misses from them before or since. But it can happen, mis-calibrations of ICP machines do occur.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And no one can just read what someone's personal experience is without saying they are wrong

If you posted a personal experience, that is not something I will challenge, typically.

You posted factually incorrect claims about clay in IO RC, and that is what you were repeatedly corrected for.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread has been cleaned of posts and quoted posts. Please keep it civil and from getting personal or we will have to remove violators. Thanks.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure hope this isn't an issue! I have a stock pile for my new build.

1652905971405.png

Uriken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly would not claim there aren’t occasionally bad batches of salt mix of any brand. It’s actually surprising to me there aren’t more given the complexity of a salt mix with many different ingredients of widely varying concentration, density and particle size. Mixing dry powders to get them all into small bags and buckets in the right amounts seems hard to me. The big concentration difference also means specs on the major ion purity need to be fairly tight so that trace elements do not get high just because they are impurities in the major ions.

That said, I think bad batch claims are far, far more likely to be user issues such as bad testing, precipitation, wrong salinity, or contaminants in the source water.
I used to work at a salt supplier. The process to create the finished product is very time consuming. The initial start is like baking a cake. Base ingredients put together and placed in fiberglass large tanks. Large dry mixers screen & agitate the ingredients then gets flushed out to secondary and third tumblers that make sure everything is mixed thoroughly. At the third tumbler the measured trace ingredients are added. Quality Control samples taken and studied at this point. From there it gets drop fed into buckets or bags.
I'm sure the better brands may have more precision processes yet from what I saw with competitors the process was very similar but the ingredients and source of them was where the cost would increase or in some cases decrease.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work at a salt supplier. The process to create the finished product is very time consuming. The initial start is like baking a cake. Base ingredients put together and placed in fiberglass large tanks. Large dry mixers screen & agitate the ingredients then gets flushed out to secondary and third tumblers that make sure everything is mixed thoroughly. At the third tumbler the measured trace ingredients are added. Quality Control samples taken and studied at this point. From there it gets drop fed into buckets or bags.
I'm sure the better brands may have more precision processes yet from what I saw with competitors the process was very similar but the ingredients and source of them was where the cost would increase or in some cases decrease.

Thanks for the info. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back