Hitchhiker crab ID?

johnf3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if anyone knows the proper identification of this crab? The guy at the store said it came in on some rock in an NPS coral shipment.
He ate one of my tube anemones unfortunately so I put him in this breeding box for now

Thanks!

FB35CC39-EA78-4E9D-B8B8-D390374AC6BA.jpeg 5B030B5B-2A55-43EC-8D2C-F20555BB9353.jpeg 993F4D8F-B42C-4D40-9BAE-D7E60A3BB511.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a calico crab, and if it is, certainly not reef safe. You can put it in your fuge if you have one, otherwise you’ll want to re-home it

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a calico crab, and if it is, certainly not reef safe. You can put it in your fuge if you have one, otherwise you’ll want to re-home it
Not a calico or a gaudy clown crab (though it certainly resembles both quite a bit) - I believe this is a Floral Egg Crab, Atergatis floridus.

Their coloration varies quite a bit, but a lot of them have similar coloration and patterning to this.

Regardless of the exact species, though, this crab is definitely not reef-safe. If you have a sump you can put it in where it can't get at the wires, it could be a cool sump crab to keep.

OP
OP
johnf3

johnf3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a calico or a gaudy clown crab (though it certainly resembles both quite a bit) - I believe this is a Floral Egg Crab, Atergatis floridus.

Their coloration varies quite a bit, but a lot of them have similar coloration and patterning to this.

Regardless of the exact species, though, this crab is definitely not reef-safe. If you have a sump you can put it in where it can't get at the wires, it could be a cool sump crab to keep.
Seems to be a match! I appreciate it. Yes plan on rehoming him

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back