Hitchhiker Critter ID is this a sponge ? Or something else growing on the bottom of my scoly

nycfreshreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys & gals , happy weekend, hope everyone is doing ok

Recently found this growing underneath one of my scolymia, appears to be some sort of sponge / truncate but wanted to post photos just to make sure it’s not something more invasive which warrants removal

Here is a photo (attached) the thing I am asking about is the white growth on the right side underneath scoly (left side is pineapple sponge)

Thank you

AC009A53-095B-447A-B257-E3B20A5635D6.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys & gals , happy weekend, hope everyone is doing ok

Recently found this growing underneath one of my scolymia, appears to be some sort of sponge / truncate but wanted to post photos just to make sure it’s not something more invasive which warrants removal

Here is a photo (attached) the thing I am asking about is the white growth on the right side underneath scoly (left side is pineapple sponge)

Thank you

AC009A53-095B-447A-B257-E3B20A5635D6.jpeg
I see poriferan sponge and pineapple sponge. Take the frag out and place in a container of tank water. Use a dental type pick or small crochet needle and gently pull off. Other option is to inject with air or vinegar via syringe which will stop it

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back