Hitchhiker fish?

CaBrowne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I came home today and found this little fish swimming around the back of my tank...No idea how it got there. I haven't purchased anything in a month. I dipped The corals that I bought. I only feed frozen mysis, rods, and marine pellets. My last fish purchase was a month and a half ago from vivid aquariums and none of them are old enough to breed, besides I don't think it isnt any of those types. I have 2 clowns one male carpenters wrasse one wheelers goby. Fire shrimp and tiger pistol. Any ideas?
20180918_180401.jpg

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow umm hmmm. Idk im thinking it might have got in your tank as an egg. and hid until it grew big enough because ive seen fish eggs on rocks before. Dont quote me on this. Ill be sure to follow up on this tread. And do you plan on keeping him?

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a brackish fish (yuck; sorry personal bias), like a molly or a marsh killifish or something

OP
OP
CaBrowne

CaBrowne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow umm hmmm. Idk im thinking it might have got in your tank as an egg. and hid until it grew big enough because ive seen fish eggs on rocks before. Dont quote me on this. Ill be sure to follow up on this tread. And do you plan on keeping him?

I'm not quite sure what to do with it. Don't think I have anything that will eat it in there...the only newish rock would be the plugs from the coral..but this would have survived a dip.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On frag plugs? There is no new LR in the tank.
Hmm. When was the last time that you added rock? It is possible, however very unlikely, that he has hidden so well, that this is the very first time you've seen him

OP
OP
CaBrowne

CaBrowne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. When was the last time that you added rock? It is possible, however very unlikely, that he has hidden so well, that this is the very first time you've seen him
Only rock added to tank was during first set up. And it was in a brute can for a year before it went into tank. Since then only frag plugs and rubble rock with coral attached that was all dipped in reached coral dip.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the wrasse is a male? It's the closest thing in your tank of any resemblance.
???
Not a wrasse since it lacks the continuous dorsal fin characteristic of all labrids. Assuming it is a brackish, killifish lay they're eggs on floating plant debris so maybe there was an egg attached to the frag plug?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back