Holding on stand skin

1fastrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all

I am thinking about building a stand for my 90 gallon tank. I want to have as much easy access to the sump and and everything else in the stand so I'm thinking of using completely removable stand skin. I have thought of a few options for holding the skins on and was wondering what everyone has done or thinks of my ideas.

1. Use dowels mounted on the skin with a hole drilled in the stand. I could use either metal or wood dowels for this and there is no real chance of the skin falling off.

2. Use some sort of magnet. I would counter sink these magnets in so they would be flush on both the stand and skin

3. Abandon ship and use a typical stand design with as big of doors as possible on all sides of the stand.

Any other ideas or opinions would be truly appreciated

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always thought the magnet setup would be cool. Welding up a perfectly level stand might be a bit of a challenge, especially for me. LOL :)

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did my first stand I did the same thing and used the clips from cabinets. I quickly changed route due to changing tanks and went with doors. Only reason is found it to be more of a hassle rather then shutting doors. Black tank the whole front and side came off. Was nice but figures build a stand with huge doors and it's the same. All personal preference.
8be974590416d1851ef5b80a0ac9788f.jpg
c2cede8bb424ccdccbed8d57f1a0990d.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No More Hinges!!!!

My first stand had hinges...that I ended up replacing after maybe 5 years because they had rusted. I will build no more stands with metal hinges!

So I've come up with three options:

1. Dowel pins on the bottom of the door, with neo magnets (neodymium magnets) on the top part of the door and face frame. HERE is my equipment cabinet with this option.

2. Neo magnets on all four corners of the door, matching neo's on the frame. Here's an example of that (you can see (gray circles) were the magnet was set in a hole with epoxy, matching a similar magnet in the door):

35 Cube Stand.jpg

3. Similar to #1, but with wood biscuits glued into the lower part of the door, with a matching over-cut slot in the faceframe, held with neo magnets on the top part of the door. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of this. The biscuits I'm talking about do require a special tool to cut the slot to hold the biscuit.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No More Hinges!!!!

My first stand had hinges...that I ended up replacing after maybe 5 years because they had rusted. I will build no more stands with metal hinges!

So I've come up with three options:

1. Dowel pins on the bottom of the door, with neo magnets (neodymium magnets) on the top part of the door and face frame. HERE is my equipment cabinet with this option.

2. Neo magnets on all four corners of the door, matching neo's on the frame. Here's an example of that (you can see (gray circles) were the magnet was set in a hole with epoxy, matching a similar magnet in the door):

35 Cube Stand.jpg

3. Similar to #1, but with wood biscuits glued into the lower part of the door, with a matching over-cut slot in the faceframe, held with neo magnets on the top part of the door. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of this. The biscuits I'm talking about do require a special tool to cut the slot to hold the biscuit.

My AGA factory stand has very rusted metal hinges. They do sell stainless Euro style hinges as well.

Opening a door is just 100x easier than anything else. I’ll gladly replace $100 hinges every few years if need be. I’m in the door camp, since ease of access is key.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My doors sit on a ledge and are held at the top by magnets. Works very well but if someone is unaware and tries to open them like a door they get quite a surprise.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back