Hole drilled too small for Overflow

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have this Modular Marine 1200gph Overflow and I didn’t ask to make the drain holes about 35mm for 3/4” BulkHeads (big mistake on my part). It fits Uniseals (I don’t want Uniseals because I heard it is just unreliable for flat surfaces. So far I tried to sand paper the hole to my desired size and it. Takes. Forever. How do I enlarge the hole safely and quicker than what I was doing?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try asking if you can swap it out? That would be my first thing I'd check on.

The issue with using a drill to enlarge an acrylic hole is the bit walking on you. Once you get it started, should be OK. but usually you will want to use a template made out of MDF or something. just cut a hole with the same bit into the MDF, then clamp the mdf to the part and ala-peanut-butter-sandwich you're off and running.

Once you get it started, remove the template, go slow, and whatever you do don't stop the bit while in the acrylic...that can cause it to seize and stick, then you've got issues. Take breaks to let the bit cool, heat is the enemy. Go slow, don't use a lot of pressure. etc.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the same rule apply as with glass that the hole should be at least as far away from the edge as the diameter of the hole itself?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know how tool-savvy you are, but the other option is a template guide for a router with a straight bit that has a bearing. The bearing follows the template while the bit cuts away that extra plexi.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back