How big do Scribbled Angels get?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, as some of you might remember a while ago I made a post about wanting to get some large angels. I am not sure about the availability of Captive Bred Blue Lines and that’s the Chaetodontoplus of choice for me, it’s just that I’m not sure how often I can come across them. As an alternative I’m considering a Captive Bred Scribbled that seems to be more frequently available. I see on FishBase that their maximum size is about 11” or 28cm, but how realistically do they get in captivity? Would it be rare to see one more than 8-9”?

What about its temperament?

This is hypothetical but what about a combination of say a pair of Majestics + a Goldflake or vice versa?

This will be for a 7-8ft 250-300g tank. Going straight for the big tank once I can fly home and find a first floor apartment.

I see different sizes. FishBase says they get almost a foot, but Scott W. Michael puts them at 10” (25cm) and Kuiter says “26cm, rarely larger.”

Going by Jay’s formula for calculating maximum size in captivity, if we go by Scott W. Michael and Kuiter they should top out at about 8” or slightly above, and going by FishBase around 9” in captivity.

Correct me but I would probably expect all three of the Majestic, Goldflake, and Blue Line to max out at about 8” as all three of these get to about 10” max.

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 10" is about right for a tank fish. It will take time and a great diet to get them that big.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have just one large angel , an Emperor in my 600g. Its about 1 year old and maybe 7-8". It does nip at some of my corals.... but to keep the other half happy you have to do things ya might not want to do

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, as some of you might remember a while ago I made a post about wanting to get some large angels. I am not sure about the availability of Captive Bred Blue Lines and that’s the Chaetodontoplus of choice for me, it’s just that I’m not sure how often I can come across them. As an alternative I’m considering a Captive Bred Scribbled that seems to be more frequently available. I see on FishBase that their maximum size is about 11” or 28cm, but how realistically do they get in captivity? Would it be rare to see one more than 8-9”?

What about its temperament?

This is hypothetical but what about a combination of say a pair of Majestics + a Goldflake or vice versa?

This will be for a 7-8ft 250-300g tank. Going straight for the big tank once I can fly home and find a first floor apartment.

I see different sizes. FishBase says they get almost a foot, but Scott W. Michael puts them at 10” (25cm) and Kuiter says “26cm, rarely larger.”

Going by Jay’s formula for calculating maximum size in captivity, if we go by Scott W. Michael and Kuiter they should top out at about 8” or slightly above, and going by FishBase around 9” in captivity.

Correct me but I would probably expect all three of the Majestic, Goldflake, and Blue Line to max out at about 8” as all three of these get to about 10” max.
Don't take this the wrong way @Zionas , but it's time you come HOME to BC/ Vancouver/ Canada....Border is now open, let's turn all this knowledge gained into reality...it's time....make it happen. :)

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually living in China right now, and borders aren’t open. :( I really wish I could turn all of this knowledge into reality already! In fact, for over a year! If only they weren’t so anal about opening up!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back