How do I go about adding copepods to my aquarium?

BleachedCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my aquarium's cycle seems to be nearing its end as the nitrites fall and the nitrates rise, and I'm looking into adding copepods & other small critters to my refugium and DT because I hear they're useful, especially since algae is beginning to grow on the rocks. Where do I buy from however, and what kind of species? Additionally, would it be wise to begin adding snails to the tank (still no fish, but there is food for them to graze on) at this time? If so, how many (tank is 120 gallons)?

I already have chaeto in my refugium set up with a proper refugium lighting and its been only growing ever since I put it in there.

Thanks for any help!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are tons of places to buy them. I'd just make sure to avoid tigrio pods as they don't survive well long term in tanks. Just turn off the return pump (or filter) and pour them into the display. You can put some in the refugium too if you want.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally I bought a mix for my tank from Canada copepods (probably not an option for you though). think it had 2-4 pod species and rotifers as well. I’ve also heard decent things about reef nutrition pods found at every lfs in my area.

now, I will say, you honestly probably don’t need to buy them at all. I accidentally got bayer in my tank after multiple rinses and soaks and it still nuked my pods. Turned out the bayer was the new ingredients list as well (uh oh lol). Anyway. After a few months of not having any pods at all I put a new dipped frag In the tank and even then it still introduced them back.

edit: also now that you’re starting to get algae. The snails would be a good idea to add yes.

Last edited:

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of sources, as implied by the responses above. A very simple answer though is your LFS. Many LFS's these days carry Reef Nutrition products, and if so, probably have live pods.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the above: buy it, they on live rock, or they come in on frags or just about anything else added to the tank.

@Tathamet Canada copepods are crooks, you're luck you got your order. Check out candy corals website, they have different kinds, and cheaper.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my aquarium's cycle seems to be nearing its end as the nitrites fall and the nitrates rise, and I'm looking into adding copepods & other small critters to my refugium and DT because I hear they're useful, especially since algae is beginning to grow on the rocks. Where do I buy from however, and what kind of species? Additionally, would it be wise to begin adding snails to the tank (still no fish, but there is food for them to graze on) at this time? If so, how many (tank is 120 gallons)?

I already have chaeto in my refugium set up with a proper refugium lighting and its been only growing ever since I put it in there.

Thanks for any help!
5280 pods from Algeabarn. Great selection of pods.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the above: buy it, they on live rock, or they come in on frags or just about anything else added to the tank.

@Tathamet Canada copepods are crooks, you're luck you got your order. Check out candy corals website, they have different kinds, and cheaper.
Why? What’s the deal with them? Never heard anything bad about them or had a bad experience myself.

as for being cheaper at candy corals it’s definitely not cheaper to get each pod individually. about $30 a bottle per species. I payed maybe $45 or $50 for the mix with rotifers and phyto. Either way I probably won’t buy anymore again. They come in on everything as you said lol.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been getting mine from Ebay Jays reef bugs and there phyto. Ive dumped 3x16oz bottles in my 90 idk if they do anything but i just place the bottle in my fuege and let them sit in there a while. Then at night i dump it out into display and fuege.

Layton (OR)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did my first order with Algae Barn last week and I am very happy with the purchase. I set up recurring deliveries with them for live phyto and pods. They seem to run pretty frequent sales too, and if you google coupon codes for them, they actually work.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just start dosing live phyto. If you already have chaeto then it's nearly impossible that you don't have pods already. Just feed them.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just start dosing live phyto. If you already have chaeto then it's nearly impossible that you don't have pods already. Just feed them.
I was wondering if op already had them because of the chaeto as well lol. @Sebastian_P check your glass really close or use a magnifying glass to see if you can see anything. They were surprisingly smaller than I expected at first. basically white micro dust but it dashes around the glass. They do get a bit bigger eventually.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone did an experiment that was talked about in a BRS video. They sterilized and temperature treated everything added to a tank.... copepods still made it into the system. Phyto would be a better addition to your tank than pods would be.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add them a lights out kill the pumps for 20-30 minutes you can split the portions between the sump and the fuge . Start dosing a phyto based product to help them get going . Adding fish will help also as they eat all the detritus fish make .

SilverBulletPRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've turned off flow and just tossed them into the refugium without issues. They all disappeared for a month or two then out of nowhere I see an explosion of them especially at night

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back