How do I keep invertebrates with my wrasse

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP! I started a new tank and added a melanurus wrasse, cleaner shrimp, and 8 blue leg hermit crabs, along with some other fish and coral. The shrimp was dead a few days later, and i’m now finding empty shells and hermit crab legs all over the sand bed.

I know it was the wrasse, and I know that they are known to do this. But I’ve seen many reef tanks, such as this reef of the month, have a melanurus wrasse with many different invertebrates with no problems.

What’s the secret? Do I have to take him back to my LFS if I want a cuc?

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What and how often are you feeding the wrasse? Usually well-fed inhabitants won't eat other inhabitants, that is usually how big aquariums keep predatory fish from eating their other fish. Sometimes though, you just get a fish that is the devil reincarnated. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
maxemorris

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What and how often are you feeding the wrasse? Usually well-fed inhabitants won't eat other inhabitants, that is usually how big aquariums keep predatory fish from eating their other fish. Sometimes though, you just get a fish that is the devil reincarnated. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I have a melanurus wrasse and tomoni tang, both only 3-4”. I’ve been feeding half a cube of frozen mysis shrimp every other day. The wrasse eats at least 20 shrimp, and there’s always extra floating around the tank I have to net out. The tang eats 10-12 shrimp. They both also feed on a new piece of seaweed I leave every day, which they never finish.

OP
OP
maxemorris

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Feed lots, feed often.
2. Get bigger crabs and defensive snails, ie: trochus which can right themselves, spiny astrea which are hard to pick at and nassarius which bury and are nocturnal.
I wanted to get a tiger or strawberry conch, nassarius snails, trochus snails, and a small sand sifting star. I also wanted to try and get a new cleaner shrimp and more blue legs.

I’m worried anything too big will knock over my corals, I just spent like $300 on some new euphylia

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to get a tiger or strawberry conch, nassarius snails, trochus snails, and a small sand sifting star. I also wanted to try and get a new cleaner shrimp and more blue legs.

I’m worried anything too big will knock over my corals, I just spent like $300 on some new euphylia
Conches will generally stay along the sand bed (nassarius and sand sifting starfish under it). Trochus snails generally prefer the glass. I'd hold off on the shrimp and if you do get a hermit crab - try a Halloween one.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a melanurus wrasse and tomoni tang, both only 3-4”. I’ve been feeding half a cube of frozen mysis shrimp every other day. The wrasse eats at least 20 shrimp, and there’s always extra floating around the tank I have to net out. The tang eats 10-12 shrimp. They both also feed on a new piece of seaweed I leave every day, which they never finish.
If you have to net out food. Feed less per serving. But feed more often. I need to, but I have my lights come on at noon and by the time I get home I feed at 9Pm. Have my lights run to around 11:30 with the ramp down. I need to find a way to do multiple feedings.
Because the melanarus is a cruiser he burns a lot of calories. So without more frequent feedings he will hunt between feedings.

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a melanarus wrasse and never could keep any kind of crab or shrimp
Soon as I would but any in it thought it was feeding time
Even tryed to put in a night but it would find them all the next day
But never had any pest in tank

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back