How do I light this tank?

Shoeburt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this tank someone is selling used. It would match the look of my house and would be an upgrade from my 20 gallon long. But how would I light this tank? Someone please help before someone else buys it before me!
8CB59811-D908-4E25-B903-28E6DBD59D22.png

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be a way to mount the light within the hood.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tall is the canopy and what are the tank dimensions? That will determine how high the light will be and give you an idea of the spread you will need. It looks like a fairly short canopy so you would need either a wide spreading light or multiple lights for coverage. Also important is what you are planning on keeping as that will determine the lighting.

If you are just asking how to physically mount a light, as Cell said, you should be able to attach to the canopy or mount to the back of the tank and have it contained within the canopy.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like that long white strip is some kind of led strip. You could mount it to the inside of the canopy but need to allow for the cords to have enough slack when you lift the canopy for feeding and cleaning. Might be ok for just fish but if you need higher power for corals. Is the back of the canopy open or closed off like the front? Depending on height you may be able to mount lights on the back wall of the tank. Like AI Hydras.

Also even with a canopy, think about getting a screen lid for the tank!

Honestly, even though it looks nice and matches the stand, canopies are a pain. They can be heavy, hopefully it stays upright when you open it. Can be clumsy if you have to reach into the tank for cleaning or whatever. You may have to lift the whole thing off occasionally.

What size is it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back