How Do I Stop The Gurgling

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just filled up my new tank. It's a Waterbox 60.2. No matter what I do it will make a gurgling noise when running. If I close the return valve it will gurgle and if I open it then it will gurgle as well. Do I have too much water? Do I have too little water? Am I just an idiot? Please help I'm a noob!

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a rigid airline tube and shove it down the drain pipe from the overfow. Make sure the top is reaching air. Fiddle with it up and down until you find the sweet quiet spot.

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what I did but it's actually really quiet right now. Maybe it just needed to hit that sweet spot.

I turned off the skimmer because that thing was rabid blowing bubbles everywhere. I'm going to wait for everything to settle before I turn it back on. That seems like a battle for another day.

After I put water in the tank my confidence in this shot to zero but I'm learning! I want that good looking tank. Everyone on youtube makes this look so easy...

While my confidence has decreased my respect for the hobby has increased. One day I'll have a pretty tank too y'all.

waterbox1.jpg

waterbox2.jpg

waterbox3.jpg

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
listen my waterbox 230.6 took forever to tune...it gurgled, spit, the fuge section kept overflowing i tweaked and cussed and researched then all of a sudden it just stopped...fate, sweet spot who knows? but hang in there it gets better and it gets worse but the better way out weighs the worse. nothing more calming than to sit there and watch once it takes off.

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
listen my waterbox 230.6 took forever to tune...it gurgled, spit, the fuge section kept overflowing i tweaked and cussed and researched then all of a sudden it just stopped...fate, sweet spot who knows? but hang in there it gets better and it gets worse but the better way out weighs the worse. nothing more calming than to sit there and watch once it takes off.
It's actually quite nice having the blue light and water reflection shimmering in my living room. I feel like I have won tonights battle. One step closer to a nicer tank.

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I looked at the water box website, and it is a herbie style drain, which means the lower drain with the valve and strainer is the main drain and the one you can see well is the emergency drain. The way to run it silently is to adjust the valve so that the water barely trickles into the emergency. It can be touchy to adjust, I have a gate valve which is easier to fine tune, but I’m sure it should work with that one, just barely move the valve as you adjust.

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK this might be bad I think my sump is leaking but I'm not sure if it was just due to all the gurgles but there is water dripping under the stand and I can see it under the back left corner of the sump where the drains are. I pray this thing isn't leaking.

Back