How do you protect your fish against wave makers?

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, last night I went to bed and I turned off the light and I had 2 fish in my QT. This morning I woke up and there was only 1 fish?! After freaking out thinking somehow it got out and died… I stopped to look at the wave maker… and inside found my 3 inch foxface completely and utterly unrecognizable.
So I was gonna ask how you all protect yourselves against this awful tragedy?
Is there a way you have found to mitigate risk?

I was thinking of getting some sort of fishing line woven net(with smaller holes) and see if I can put it around my wave makers?

I saw someone use filter floss or something like that but they said they needed to change it out a lot… I am looking for a bit more Permanent fix. And would prefer not to buy new wave makers… but if I must go ahead and throw out some good ones to help stay away from this!

thanks for all your support! Possum will be missed! (Yes I really named my foxface possum because he kept playing dead… didn’t think he would only last 3 days then really die.)

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A healthy fish won’t get sucked into a wave maker (unless it’s a tiny, neon goby sized fish and a massive wave maker). Your fish likely died of something else (or was severely weakened) and was then sucked up by the wave maker.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A healthy fish won’t get sucked into a wave maker (unless it’s a tiny, neon goby sized fish and a massive wave maker). Your fish likely died of something else (or was severely weakened) and was then sucked up by the wave maker.
So I have a 7 day stay alive guarantee. It’s day 3-4 should they send me a new fish?

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are trying to say they do not give it… they said “unfortunately we do not offer this 7 day stay alive guarantee, we only provide live arrival. lol I sent them pics of their website and it’s on the page for the vary fish that died!!! I guess we shall see if they keep their word I just can’t believe they would contradict their own policies.

saltwaterfishshop.com

Attachments

• D9CCCF2B-EFE0-4E39-8E15-39876B3C5CF8.png
    D9CCCF2B-EFE0-4E39-8E15-39876B3C5CF8.png
    462.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 7A7B41B2-474C-4A59-B355-A8795978C74D.png
    7A7B41B2-474C-4A59-B355-A8795978C74D.png
    506 KB · Views: 93

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with this.. It is doubtful that any healthy fish would get pulled in and killed by a wavemaker. You said this was a 3 inch fish.. That would take an EXTREMELY powerful wavemaker. Far more than most people would set up in a QT tank unless you are aiming for whitecaps in your QT.

I also agree that if the seller won't honor their policy, about all you can do is not do repeat business with them and spread the word to allow others to avoid such a fate.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back