How do you set up your gyres?

How do you set up your Gyres for your reef tank?

• One on each end, horizontal

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • On the back of the tank, horizontal

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • On the overflow, vertical

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • On the side glass, vertical

• Other

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gyre.png

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are one each end vertical. I actually would prefer them horizontal but when ordering them I didn’t take into account my corner overflows, so I have no choice but to put them vertical if I want them on the sides.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a pair needed? I have the Maxspect Jump 2K on one side of my IM 40L AIO. 35" length. I have the two return lines each with a MightyJet 538 gph and split nozzles with a 2x 1/2" RFGs aimed toward the from glass slightly below the gyre pump flow (total: 4 RFGs).

Now I'm wondering if I have the water moving in the correct way.

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a pair needed? I have the Maxspect Jump 2K on one side of my IM 40L AIO. 35" length. I have the two return lines each with a MightyJet 538 gph and split nozzles with a 2x 1/2" RFGs aimed toward the from glass slightly below the gyre pump flow (total: 4 RFGs).

Nah, not necessarily needed. Two work well on larger tanks to great that nice random flow in the middle. For smaller tanks, one plus the return is usually enough.

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One is fine especially if you randomize the flow.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really understand the diagrams - how is the flow curving around like that?

I have a single ReefWave 45 on the left side of my 5ft 120g - at 10% it just seems to blast a ton of flow out much like a gyre, except in a flat sheet as opposed to a cone.

I want to get another one for the otherside but the insane flow has me spooked.

C/D looks like a great way to set up the gyres and keep them out of sight but how can I be sure it's actually going to wrap around and give my corals the flow I need?

Last edited:

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B. My gyres pulse water across the top like waves, then I have two MP40s down low on the back for additional current.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't really understand the diagrams - how is the flow curving around like that?

I have a single ReefWave 45 on the left side of my 5ft 120g - at 10% it just seems to blast a ton of flow out much like a gyre, except in a flat sheet as opposed to a cone.

I want to get another one for the otherside but the insane flow has me spooked.

C/D looks like a great way to set up the gyres and keep them out of sight but how can I be sure it's actually going to wrap around and give my corals the flow I need?
That seems low. I have a ReefWave 45 in a 32 gallon tank and I have it running at 30% at peak.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just one horizontal on the side Glass. I move it around from time to time. It’s a Jabeo 120, on a 48” x 24” x 24” Switched random flow. IMO, This Pump is too powerful for the Aquarium, I should have gone with a 90, two 70’s or even smaller. BTW, one thing I see that I think is a mistake, is mounting the pumps up too high. It messes up the Overflows, and I think it puts more hydraulic stress on the Aquarium.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got the jebao 70 on one side vertical and one of the single jebao powerheads opposite side aimed at the middle. Its a 47" long tank and i have the jebeo wavemaker setting only on 4 and thats pretty intense. The single power head on the opposite end i have on 7 making the middle turbulent for sps and torches and such and the sides are laid back for hammers and big polyp lps type stuff.

jisherwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 650 Peninsula and was thinking "C" would be the best way for setup. Any other suggestions? really don't want to aee then and figure this would keep them hidden.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems low. I have a ReefWave 45 in a 32 gallon tank and I have it running at 30% at peak.
Where is your gyre?

Mine is on the left side and at 10% it’s blasting anything in front of it

this is why I want to see about one of those other positions where it wraps around from the back but I’m a total flow noob

Attachments

• CE0B3596-F9AB-4193-AB35-87088C704F75.jpeg
    CE0B3596-F9AB-4193-AB35-87088C704F75.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 38

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Where is your gyre?

Mine is on the left side and at 10% it’s blasting anything in front of it

this is why I want to see about one of those other positions where it wraps around from the back but I’m a total flow noob
I have it on the right side of the tank blowing across the top, just point the nozzles more upward.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Problem with having them Sweep the Glass, is it will kill off all your Asterea Snails, when they get knocked off. BTW, when I first set my Jebao up, I ended up with it fully ramped, blew all my Astereas around. Had to spend the next hour locating them and righting them.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6' long 30" tall. I use one jebao in the top right corner

I never run it higher than 50%
I have zero unwanted "dead" spots
it really will depend quit a bit on rockwork and coral location.

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 350 is just starting, no corals yet, so I just have one gyre horizontal center along the back. BUT, I'm thinking of going with C once I need more flow. I'm still not sure if I *need* more flow or not TBH. I feel like the answer is always "yes" to that question, but then everything is blasted. If I turn the one gyre up past 40%, a crater forms in the sand. :shrug:

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it on the right side of the tank blowing across the top, just point the nozzles more upward.

But doing this just disperses the flow with the return pump flow and I don't see any movement in my corals

I was hoping to have a sweeping flow directed across the front of my tank, and thus across my corals, but from the horizontal setup (A) it's just too much directed flow

I'm curious if anyone has any success with B, C, or D

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back