How fast to raise NO3?

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So up until a few weeks ago I was battling high phosphate levels 1-2ppm, nitrates never rose above 10ppm, usually were at 5ppm.
In an effort to lower PO3 I reduced feeding to once a day, that helped a little, got down to .5ppm. After a few weeks of that I decided to dose some Fritzyme 9 and that's when things went wrong. Within a week my PO3 and NO3 went to 0. My corals are not happy. Both my elegance corals have withdrawn into their skeletons, and just about everything else has faded in color.
Readings as of last night are;
Sp. gravity 1.025 calibrated refractometer
Calcium 440ppm salifert
ALK 8.0 aqua forest
Mag 1290 salifert
NO3 0 salifert
PO4 less than .03 salifert
pH 8.1 calibrated pH pen
Temp. 76.9

I picked up some Brightwell NeoNitrate to try and get my levels back up. My question is, how quickly can I try and raise them? I'm shooting for 5-10 ppm nitrate and under .08 ppm phosphate.
Thanks for any help.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deoends on how long they've been running at low nitrate.

I would calculate how much is required to raise it to 5, and cut in half. Wait a couple of days and go up to 5. If its cool then double.

Usually its SPS that whines about nutrient jumps. LPS and softies usually don't care because of their native environments.

OP
OP
Reverend Turtle

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deoends on how long they've been running at low nitrate.

I would calculate how much is required to raise it to 5, and cut in half. Wait a couple of days and go up to 5. If its cool then double.

Usually its SPS that whines about nutrient jumps. LPS and softies usually don't care because of their native environments.
Thank you.
My sps have all gotten pale. But it seems the water is just too clean for my lps now. It's mainly lps and zoas, but I also have montis and a few acros.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I periodically dose nitrate in my tank and I raise it around 3ppm at a time without any ill effects. I've never gone any more, but only because I try to keep my nitrate in the 2-5 range.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People sometimes have coral health issues if they raise NO3 while PO4 is essentially zero.
I would be careful and watch PO4 for that reason.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back