OP
Amoo

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly nem sickness does not have a name or a formal "scientific" lab style study. Essentially what we have found through testing is that typically when I nem gets "sick" it tends to respond best to a gram-negative anti-bacterial medication. We don't know exactly what the infection is, but we do know what it responds best towards.

All of the dosing medications and instructions have been based on trial and error on numerous different species of Nems. Mihn worked very heavily on the larger nem side, then I came along and worked heavily on the smaller nem side. I don't know the number of drugs he has tested, only he could answer that, but I know the number I have personally tested and it's pretty high. Everything from anti fungals to broad spectrum anti bacterial to even steroids. So far I've yet to reproduce the consistency of results that the Cipro or Cipro & SMZ&TP combo has provided.

If you googlefu how Cipro degrades, you'll find that one of the best ways to degrade it is with light water alone doesn't do much to it. This was also one of the side effects some humans were experiencing with the drug was light sensitivity.

If you notice in the treatment protocol after the first 12 hour lights out, every other treatment period involves Light. This means outside of your first 12 hour lights out treatment where the Nem is moved into a fresh tank, the concentration begins degrading (relatively rapidly), which is why I prefer the tank transfer method if you will. Some people will just stick it in a bucket and clean the main tank, which is fine, but the whole goal was to provide at least the 250mg/10gal concentration for 12 hours a day as that seemed to yield best results. The 12 hour lights on period was designed because we all know the Nem needs light to survive and thrive, the ability to degrade the drug in the water, helping minimize the environmental risk was an added bonus as opposed to treating for 12 hours, then putting it in a clean tank...etc.

One other thing to consider is that while the tank is dosed at 250mg/10gal, the nem itself dose not end up getting the full 250mg of medicine as it can only take up so much of that water into and out of it's system at a time. How much is dependent on the size of the nem, yada yada yada, we can't sit here and specifically write out a certain dosage for every kind of nem of all sizes like doctors do people, so as in the case of most aquatic medicines you try to come up with a dosing regimen that makes sense for everything. So far, I don;t feel either of us have run into a scenario where we felt the Nem died because we over-dosed it regardless of size.

If you're worried about dumping any water, simply let the water sit outside in a clear container for 48 hours (IIRC correctly would have to check again to be sure) and it will be completely inert.

So in essence, responsible use of the medication with proper deactivation via light can lead to LESS in the environment then even when humans are dosed with the medicine.

Whether it help ease you mind or not I don't know, but I know for a while Diver's Den actually started to Cipro their Nems as well. I do not know if they still do so, but I do know there was a period of time they did.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly nem sickness does not have a name or a formal "scientific" lab style study. Essentially what we have found through testing is that typically when I nem gets "sick" it tends to respond best to a gram-negative anti-bacterial medication. We don't know exactly what the infection is, but we do know what it responds best towards.

All of the dosing medications and instructions have been based on trial and error on numerous different species of Nems. Mihn worked very heavily on the larger nem side, then I came along and worked heavily on the smaller nem side. I don't know the number of drugs he has tested, only he could answer that, but I know the number I have personally tested and it's pretty high. Everything from anti fungals to broad spectrum anti bacterial to even steroids. So far I've yet to reproduce the consistency of results that the Cipro or Cipro & SMZ&TP combo has provided.

If you googlefu how Cipro degrades, you'll find that one of the best ways to degrade it is with light water alone doesn't do much to it. This was also one of the side effects some humans were experiencing with the drug was light sensitivity.

If you notice in the treatment protocol after the first 12 hour lights out, every other treatment period involves Light. This means outside of your first 12 hour lights out treatment where the Nem is moved into a fresh tank, the concentration begins degrading (relatively rapidly), which is why I prefer the tank transfer method if you will. Some people will just stick it in a bucket and clean the main tank, which is fine, but the whole goal was to provide at least the 250mg/10gal concentration for 12 hours a day as that seemed to yield best results. The 12 hour lights on period was designed because we all know the Nem needs light to survive and thrive, the ability to degrade the drug in the water, helping minimize the environmental risk was an added bonus as opposed to treating for 12 hours, then putting it in a clean tank...etc.

One other thing to consider is that while the tank is dosed at 250mg/10gal, the nem itself dose not end up getting the full 250mg of medicine as it can only take up so much of that water into and out of it's system at a time. How much is dependent on the size of the nem, yada yada yada, we can't sit here and specifically write out a certain dosage for every kind of nem of all sizes like doctors do people, so as in the case of most aquatic medicines you try to come up with a dosing regimen that makes sense for everything. So far, I don;t feel either of us have run into a scenario where we felt the Nem died because we over-dosed it regardless of size.

If you're worried about dumping any water, simply let the water sit outside in a clear container for 48 hours (IIRC correctly would have to check again to be sure) and it will be completely inert.

So in essence, responsible use of the medication with proper deactivation via light can lead to LESS in the environment then even when humans are dosed with the medicine.

Whether it help ease you mind or not I don't know, but I know for a while Diver's Den actually started to Cipro their Nems as well. I do not know if they still do so, but I do know there was a period of time they did.

Wasn't concerned about dumping water. Just wondered why the high dose - and whether a less broad-spectrum antibiotic would be better (with regards to resistance). I mean - a lower dose would be quite a bit less expensive - and seemingly should work as well given the MIC or most gram negatives (including pseudomonas). Ps - My guess is that though the anemone doesn't take up the whole dose of antibiotic (which would certainly kill it), the concentration of the cipro within the anemone is the same as the water outside. Thanks for your reply its interesting.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't concerned about dumping water. Just wondered why the high dose - and whether a less broad-spectrum antibiotic would be better (with regards to resistance). I mean - a lower dose would be quite a bit less expensive - and seemingly should work as well given the MIC or most gram negatives (including pseudomonas). Ps - My guess is that though the anemone doesn't take up the whole dose of antibiotic (which would certainly kill it), the concentration of the cipro within the anemone is the same as the water outside. Thanks for your reply its interesting.

I've actually experimented with all of the fluoroquinolones and still nothing seemed to work as well. I've tried numerous other narrower spectrum drugs with little success as well.

The funny thing about Cipro is it's actually an extremely cheap drug, I mean like dirt cheap. What pharmacies and insurance companies get away with charging for these drugs is astronomically ridiculous, but that's starting to get into politics and we just won't go there.

I don't know if you're familiar with the cost of some of the local anesthetics which are super cheap, Cipro is less than half the price of even those.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Amoo that was me (I guess I'll volunteer to be alone on this even though I know others care about this too) that cared about dumping the water. :)

How are you gauging the effectiveness of breakdown in light?

It sounds like you are not working in a lab (I could be wrong) so are you judging by efficacy in treatment? So after X amout of light exposure the treatment stops working = inert?

The reason I ask is that I saw no journal articles that indicated that light breaks it down well at all. I found more than one in a short amount of time (linked earlier in the thread) that indicated the contrary.

Specialized filtration or other processes are required to remove these drugs from the water because they do not break down...or their immediate metabolites do not break down.

The article I had with a convenient table which may have measured Cipro is currently beyond my grasp, but I found this without much looking. They picks a small suite of "reference antibiotics" and blasted them with all sorts of technology, including UV:
https://www.researchgate.net/profil..._Processes/links/54eddb640cf25238f9391f7c.pdf

According to them, typical wastewater UV is about 30 mJ/cm2....even UV up to 3,000 mJ/cm2 only removed around 50-80%. The notes are not ambiguous.

Here I find another one with a large, sampled list of antibiotics, inlcluding A LOT:
Elimination of Micropollutants during Post-Treatment of Hospital Wastewater with Powdered Activated Carbon, Ozone, and UV
(PDF link)

According to anything I've been able to point my eyeballs at, none of these antibiotics leave the water easily or break down well on their own.

And breaking them down with UV or Ozone is not "inert" by any stretch.

Still not meaning to be anti....if it's legal to use, then go for it. But it seems like we all want this to be as harmless as vitamins or baking soda. It's more serious than that. So we should just keep that in mind. Minimize usage, and certainly don't waste it.

BTW, it sounds like you guys are doing this to lots of anemones and not just the ones the OP was talking about. Even long-tentacle and bubble-tip? Is that true?

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally all the sick nems we can get our hands on for a long time.

Let me do some research and get back to you. I did extensive research into published and peer-reviewed articles about the breakdown of cipro, all of which I had linked on my old computer. I will attempt to find some in the next day or so and get back to you.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally all the sick nems we can get our hands on for a long time.

(I think that link didn't post right.)

I've sold a lot of anemones and even helped raise quite a few in tanks I took care of and never heard of this.....admittedly all LT and bubble tip. Very few of anything else.

What are you all doing to make them sick?!?!? LOL :D

But seriously, is this supposed to be widespread or what? And if so, since when? Is it just related to "torn feet" when people try too aggressively to move them?

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I think that link didn't post right.)

I've sold a lot of anemones and even helped raise quite a few in tanks I took care of and never heard of this.....admittedly all LT and bubble tip. Very few of anything else.

What are you all doing to make them sick?!?!? LOL :D

But seriously, is this supposed to be widespread or what? And if so, since when? Is it just related to "torn feet" when people try too aggressively to move them?

Oh dear lord no.

Also fwiw I'm just going to keep editing that post so I don't litter this whole thread with 18 pages of individual links.

Getting Nems from LFS is my main source, let me check reefmiddle when Mihn posted his original thread, 2013 he posted his sticky, sometime in 2013/2014 is when I started my research. His was done previous to that. There are multiple threads on that forum of people doing this successfully. As I mentioned, I know for a fact DD did it for a while, but do not know if they still do.

As you're probably aware often times Nem don't ship well. At least they didn't before people started to gain more knowledge of how to ship them properly (larger water volumes, bigger bags...etc) Many of the specimens I have gotten my hands on over the years were ones that arrived in poor condition and went downhill due to shipping. I don't have my old excell sheet anymore as that was on my old computer, but my success rate of none medicated vs medicated for Nems I felt needed special attention was something like 18% to 65ish %. This was on close to 125 Nems at the time. I'll take in any BTAs, LTA and Mags from LFS, I won't do larger ones like carpets as I don't feel I have the appropriately sized tanks to provide them an adequate chance.

The way it worked for me was anytime one of my LFS got a Nem in they felt was going to die they would call me and I would go get it. I would bring them back free of charge if they survived so once I got them the first few back helthy I didn't have a problem sourcing sick nems.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting....I'm glad we never had that issue!!

(And that link will still not load even though it appears to be a good link.....server just hangs and won't serve the doc. Can you edit your post again and post the doc title and lemme see if I can get it that way?)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google this: ciproflaxcin light degredation

I did that and still can't find the Singh/Gupta article.....I did find this:
Partitioning and photodegradation of ciprofloxacin in aqueous systems in the presence of organic matter
(PDF link)

Is this it?
Photo and UV degradation of Ciprofloxacin Antibiotic

The question is not wether UV breaks it down at all...it does. However it is not broken down adquately. That is why I like the first link I posted...they are looking at a real situation....wastewater treatment, and safe removal are the object. Not simply deactivation of the antibacterial effect. Gupta and Singh are looking at issues more related to freshness than water safety. Important, but a different perspective and different goal.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, UV and Ozone both have issues due to the breakdown products they create still needing to be filtered.....so instead of UV or ozone, it appears that powdered activated carbon + ultrafiltration or + sand filtration are the leading contenders for safe removal....but it's expensive.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Amoo that was me (I guess I'll volunteer to be alone on this even though I know others care about this too) that cared about dumping the water. :)

How are you gauging the effectiveness of breakdown in light?

It sounds like you are not working in a lab (I could be wrong) so are you judging by efficacy in treatment? So after X amout of light exposure the treatment stops working = inert?

The reason I ask is that I saw no journal articles that indicated that light breaks it down well at all. I found more than one in a short amount of time (linked earlier in the thread) that indicated the contrary.

Specialized filtration or other processes are required to remove these drugs from the water because they do not break down...or their immediate metabolites do not break down.

The article I had with a convenient table which may have measured Cipro is currently beyond my grasp, but I found this without much looking. They picks a small suite of "reference antibiotics" and blasted them with all sorts of technology, including UV:
https://www.researchgate.net/profil..._Processes/links/54eddb640cf25238f9391f7c.pdf

According to them, typical wastewater UV is about 30 mJ/cm2....even UV up to 3,000 mJ/cm2 only removed around 50-80%. The notes are not ambiguous.

Here I find another one with a large, sampled list of antibiotics, inlcluding A LOT:
Elimination of Micropollutants during Post-Treatment of Hospital Wastewater with Powdered Activated Carbon, Ozone, and UV
(PDF link)

According to anything I've been able to point my eyeballs at, none of these antibiotics leave the water easily or break down well on their own.

And breaking them down with UV or Ozone is not "inert" by any stretch.

Still not meaning to be anti....if it's legal to use, then go for it. But it seems like we all want this to be as harmless as vitamins or baking soda. It's more serious than that. So we should just keep that in mind. Minimize usage, and certainly don't waste it.

BTW, it sounds like you guys are doing this to lots of anemones and not just the ones the OP was talking about. Even long-tentacle and bubble-tip? Is that true?

ok so your first article talks about SMZ&TP but not Cipro and determines it can simply be filtered out with carbon

your second article shows Cipro was fully removed with Carbon and Ozone, but wee can't judge the results of the UV test because the solution was tested with TiO2, and I know I have seen a study (of coarse I have to find it now) about how Ti02 changes the degradation rate.

I briefly skimmed these so if you see something I missed please point it out.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish I can find the darn study where they literally set it out in the sun in different aqueous solutions of different pH.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, UV and Ozone both have issues due to the breakdown products they create still needing to be filtered.....so instead of UV or ozone, it appears that powdered activated carbon + ultrafiltration or + sand filtration are the leading contenders for safe removal....but it's expensive.

? Where are you finding that. The second article you posted with the tablle shows total elimination from those two

84hEXPQ.png

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I can't find again had about that same table – very similar – but it was a wastewater authority operating on Lake Geneva.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you finding that.
It's sort of the point of the table.....PAC is generally superior as the other two don't work, or work partially.

UV in particular in not effective or Cipro....or most meds listed.

I'll keep digging for the other link I had.....wasn't specific to hospital output and I seem to remember the results in the table were a little easier to interpret.

Results were similar though....typical wastewater treatment does include ozone and UV, but it doesn't work well enough. They are being compared to PAC (and other solutions if you look around some more...this is not a made up problem) for this reason.

(But I'm out for tonight! :) :))

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the main one I was looking for, I'm going to link it separately on purpose because it has the most elements relative to what we do with temp, pH and light exposure.

http://www.imedpub.com/articles/sta...se-high-performance-liquid-chromatography.pdf

EDIT:

Since you went to bed, I'll edit this in and hopefully you see it.

One of the biggest issues with a lot of the studies that were done with Cipro is many of them were done with UV like you mentioned. What there hasn't been that I'm aware of is a study of all of the different spectrums of light the sun can produce. I think we both know that would be literally impossible almost to do. What we do know is the sun with all it's powers and spectrums combined do break it down. So while 250nm or something like that isn't relative to our tanks and doesn't necessarily break it down very well, the main studies I have seen that use legitimate sunlight in an aqueous solution all show it breaks down rather rapidly. As a bonus it becomes further unstable as the solution it's in becomes more basic.

I will concede that inert may have been too strong of a a word for a very technical discussion when we start measuring with spectrometers, but for all intents and purposes sunlight neutralizes it. I hope that makes more sense.

Also FWIW I have no issues discussing the validity of this treatment or even the responsibility we all have to the environment, but I would again remind people that we're having a discussion about environmental health while taking wild fish and coral, ripping them out of the oceans and putting them in boxes in our houses for our own personal enjoyment (or for myself therapeutic reasons). So as I said, I have no problem with the discussion or question, I just think the moral high ground as displayed by some previously was a little too high considering the circumstances surrounding our discussion of it.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I care about dumping the water - that just wasn't the reason I asked those questions. In reality, Physicians have already tried to limit antibiotic prescriptions to help avoid their dispersal in the environment. This is also true of cipro prescribed in humans (and also because of side effects).

In any case, is the point about the light degradation that its the light in the tank that degrades the cipro - or is it that once its out in the environment it is degraded. Becasue the light in the treatment tank is probably no where near as bright as 'the sun', and once 'flushed', its not that 'light'.

The current practice in medicine is to use the most specific agent for the disease, at the lowest possible dose for the shortest possible time. The argument that 'reefers dont use that many antibiotics compared to the rest of users' seems spurious.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back