How I Cipro

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what if the light start to break down the med. You need to expose that anemone to med as soon as you can. No treatment for 12 hrs will only get an infected anemone sicker.

Jhillreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s real sticky and looks healthy. Mouth open a little cause the shipment. But he hasn’t attached foot yet. But he look good

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly you can observe the anemone first before decide on treatment. However, if you decided that the anemone is sick and needed treatment, then you should treat, regardless of when. It is reasonable to not turn on the light if it is late in the day. However treatment need not be wait until begin of the night periord.

MrMelt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is pretty old, but I just read most of it bc I have a mag coming next week and I want to be ready for it. OrionN and the others that contributed to ironing out this process and making it a successful one, thank you.

I do have to comment that the ones that are SO worried about the Antibiotics entering the environment I actually find that funny. First off, at 250 mg per 10 gallons over the course of a week /treatment cycle you are looking at a total of less than 2 grams entering the sewers prior to treatment. This doesn't even take into consideration any type of degradation that's caused from extrinsic variables such as light and the water plant/treatment center . How many salt water hobbiest out there? Quite a few right? How many of those hobiest have reef tanks? Still A good amount but less. How many of those keep anemones? Less than previois but prob a good number. How many of those keep Mags? A LOT less than the total number of aquarist that keep reef tanks. Of those that keep Mags, how many are utalizing a procedure that involves the dumping of Cipro... A LOT less.

With that said... how many chicken/poultry, beef, and pork farms are in the US? - Over 1.3 million that sell livestock for consumption. Now imagine all the wash off or elimination enterinf the environment from all the antibiotics that are constantly being put into the livestockS food. We're talking hundreds of pounds a day across the board.. now that's something to worry about. Not the salt water hobbiest in a clandestine lab trying to save an anenome...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this thread is pretty old, but I just read most of it bc I have a mag coming next week and I want to be ready for it. OrionN and the others that contributed to ironing out this process and making it a successful one, thank you.

I do have to comment that the ones that are SO worried about the Antibiotics entering the environment I actually find that funny. First off, at 250 mg per 10 gallons over the course of a week /treatment cycle you are looking at a total of less than 2 grams entering the sewers prior to treatment. This doesn't even take into consideration any type of degradation that's caused from extrinsic variables such as light and the water plant/treatment center . How many salt water hobbiest out there? Quite a few right? How many of those hobiest have reef tanks? Still A good amount but less. How many of those keep anemones? Less than previois but prob a good number. How many of those keep Mags? A LOT less than the total number of aquarist that keep reef tanks. Of those that keep Mags, how many are utalizing a procedure that involves the dumping of Cipro... A LOT less.

With that said... how many chicken/poultry, beef, and pork farms are in the US? - Over 1.3 million that sell livestock for consumption. Now imagine all the wash off or elimination enterinf the environment from all the antibiotics that are constantly being put into the livestockS food. We're talking hundreds of pounds a day across the board.. now that's something to worry about. Not the salt water hobbiest in a clandestine lab trying to save an anenome...

Well - here's what the FDA says (they are worried about use of these antibiotics in animal feed - and in undocumented infections). https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/AntimicrobialResistance/ucm421527.htm

The use of Cipro has been curtailed in the US and other countries (partly because of antibiotic resistance and partly because of side effects). It is not recommended as a first line agent unless there is a proven organism and documented infection. And even then its only recommended if there are not other agents available.

That said, you're completely correct that the use in some industry is greater than the use in reefing - But - if (as some suggest) every anemone sold in the US were treated with Cipro that would be a lot of cipro dosages. If physicians are limiting the use of Cipro in individual patients (lets say for an uncomplicated Urinary tract infection), why should reefers at least not be aware of the issue. I guess I am not sure its about the number of aquarists out there - its about the number of anemone's sold in the US.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just began the cipro treatment of what I suppose is a sick magnifica tonight. I brought it home a couple of days ago. It deflated early this morning and again 12 hours later.

I can't provide enough light in the hospital tank, I only have a 12watt spot led. Since light degrades cipro, wouldn't it be a better option to bring the nem back to the main tank for 8 hours per day, taking it back to the hospital tank for 16 hours per day, everyday?

The nem is still attached to a piece of live rock.

I have a 36watt UV running in the main tank with slow flow.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the anemone in the HT and treated as per the protocol. Give it as much light as you can. The amount of drug degraded by light is not important since you give full dose every night. Doing a 100% water change will keep your anemone from been OD with medication.
Good luck

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edited ....not important....
I am using my phone so it is a little hard to catch all the spelling mistakes.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understood what you meant :)

I have an amonia alert in the hospital tank because I have piece of live rock there with antibiotics and I am a bit worried. I will do the first 100% waterchange in the morning with another dose of cipro.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this whole process is stressing the nem out, it spent the whole day deflated.

I will give it 2 more days. If I don't see improvement I am thinking about having the nem spend 12 hours per day in the main tank and the remaining 12 hours of the night in the hospital tank with cipro, doubling the dose.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is still deflating during most of the day. I will be doubling the dose tomorrow.

I have amoxicicline with clavulanic acid at hand. Has it been tried?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubling dose will only add toxicity but will not help. You should try your best to keep condition stable with respect to temp and salinity.
Change from hospital to DT will stress him even more.
I recommend against both

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for helping. I will keep it in the hospital tank then.

Today the anemone let go of the rock but imediately attached itself to the top of an upside down glass jar.

Isn't doubling the dose part of the protocol if there are no improvements after the 3rd day?

I am doing the water changes with water from the main tank at lights out (adding cipro) and keeping it at the same temperature.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back