How I Cipro

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot treat DT (I mean should not...). The cornerstone of our reef filtration is bacterial activity. Cipro is a broad spectrum antibiotic that will wreck the bacterial population so one should not add Cipro into the main tank. Remove the infected animal to be treat in hospital tank.

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BTA that has been with me for 2 years now. Has never really grown and has never split either, but has almost always been fully inflated. About 6 months ago I moved him to my grow-out tank while I took down my DT. Until recently he was fine in that tank, in spite of some instability that tank has experienced. For the last 5 days he has been a 3 or 4 on your chart and i'm not sure what set him off. I moved him to a lower flow position, and his tentacles seem a little fuller today, but still very short and mouth is open.

Your protocol seems to be specifically for newly acquired anemones, but there was some mention of applying it to established nems that appear sick. So my questions are:

1) At what point would you treat an established anemone? Specifically, would you treat in my case? What else would you try first?
2) If I do treat i'm considering the following variation to your protocol: at lights off for his tank, move him and the small rock he's on to a half-full 5 gal bucked that is heated and pre-dosed with CIpro. Provide water movement via airstone, which will provide light flow in that low volume of water. At lights on move him back to his tank. Repeat this process for the duration of the treatment. Do you think this would work?

Thanks

Last edited:

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BTA that has been with me for 2 years now. Has never really grown and has never split either, but has almost always been fully inflated. About 6 months ago I moved him to my grow-out tank while I took down my DT. Until recently he was fine in that tank, in spite of some instability that tank has experienced. For the last 5 days he has been a 3 or 4 on your chart and i'm not sure what set him off. I moved him to a lower flow position, and his tentacles seem a little fuller today, but still very short and mouth is open.

Your protocol seems to be specifically for newly acquired anemones, but there was some mention of applying it to established nems that appear sick. So my questions are:

1) At what point would you treat an established anemone? Specifically, would you treat in my case? What else would you try first?
2) If I do treat i'm considering the following variation to your protocol: at lights off for his tank, move him and the small rock he's on to a half-full 5 gal bucked that is heated and pre-dosed with CIpro. Provide water movement via airstone, which will provide light flow in that low volume of water. At lights on move him back to his tank. Repeat this process for the duration of the treatment. Do you think this would work?

Thanks
Sorry to hear about your nem, cipro is only good for bacterial infections... what are your water parameters? Any major change?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must provide stability for your anemone. Take him in and out of DT is not good. You just need a small PH, and a screw in cheap Home Depot LED daylight bulb, thermometer/heater and a small tank with some egg crate to separate the anemone from the PH and heater.
The set up is minimal. When an anemone is sick, it really need help and stability. A little effort at this time really go a long, long way toward it's survival.
IMO/IME half way treatment is no good. A lot of time even full court press does no good. It is not for me, and I don't recommend it.

When to treat? I don't follow the chart. That's Amoo's chart. I treat him if he gets worst several days in a row. Occasionally, anemone can deflates but he should go back to normal. If he deflates twice in a row, it is time to treat.

Good luck

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your nem, cipro is only good for bacterial infections... what are your water parameters? Any major change?
Yeah I understand that. The question is, could the anemone have picked up a bacterial infection when stressed due to parameter swings. My phosphate spiked up to .13 PPM, which (i'm guessing) caused my alk consumption to drop. Over the course of the week between my alk and PO4 tests, my alk spiked from 7.2 DKH to 10.6 DKH. I'm guessing that's what stressed him. My parameters are back in line now at .03 PPM phosphate and 7.8 DKH. I'm testing alk daily now, so i'm doing what I can about stability, but it doesn't undo what already happened.

If he deflates twice in a row, it is time to treat.
He hasn't deflated during the day. Just several days in a row of short tentacles and open mouth. He has deflated completely at night several days in a row, but he's always done that periodically. So just to be clear, you're talking about body completely deflated during the day right?

wedward3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this so I hope I do this correctly. Adding info on my very recent success treating and reviving my sick H. magnifica following the protocol nicely laid out by Amoo in this post and following details and comments by OrionN.
I am a typical human and acquired my nem for my very large female Clarki and placed directly into DT, and then decided to research it‘s needs and care. That is when I found this thread and realized I had taken on more than expected. My nem looked good for several weeks with minor deflations every now and then. The health of my nem then began to diminish quickly with deflation and gaping open mouth. In this time I had acquired a QT and supplies to take action based on Amoo’s and OrionN’s info. Nem health grading score really started improving with mouth closing at treatment day 5. Now back in DT 5 days and so far so good. I can repost at 1 month to gauge long term success.
Supplies:
Top Fin 5.5 gallon aquarium starter kit
HOB filter
Thermometer
Hydor Koralia 425
Aqueoun 50W heater
ABI 12W Tuna Blue PAR38 LED Reef Bulb
Fish Ciprofloxacin (Fish Aid) ordered from Chewy
coffee cup

Each day light on from 11:00 AM-5:00 PM.
Day 1) transferred from DT to QT 100% WC. Very challenging but nem seemed unharmed. Added 125mgs/ 5 gallons (1/4 of 500mg tablet) predisolved 10:00PM.
Day 2) 100% WC dose 125 mgs Cipro 10:00AM. 100% WC dose 125 mgs Cipro 10:00 PM.
Day 3-7) 100% WC dose 125 mgs Cipro 6:00PM.
Day 8) 100% WC no Cipro 6:00PM. Flush out nem w/ untreated water.
Day 9) transfer to DT on coffee cup 6:00 PM.
New nem in DT prior to health deterioration.
FDBA7AFF-6C03-4E58-A28E-5322E649638C.jpeg

QT Day 1
68545E82-6F88-472B-8690-5FF5CFAC207A.jpeg

Day 2
DFC4A0E8-773E-4F17-B311-BCFC6FD815DC.jpeg

Day 3
68EE88AB-8C22-42F4-B843-F6490005066F.jpeg

day 5
60FC2C60-22A6-4865-B711-044F250E4B06.jpeg

day 9
2D3CAA1A-4F91-4F97-958F-053C8B516DFD.jpeg

Back in DT 1 day firmly attached to mug.
C6D82D19-6CC0-47B2-B4A3-B6244564765A.jpeg

Nem let go of coffee cup and moved back to rock. Image on day 5 so far no deflation and mouth staying closed.
2671993B-2AFB-4BF3-A3DA-B460B1A8B0D7.jpeg

2D9CDE46-8D0C-4E9E-9F9D-69714DA86D7D.jpeg

TAL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be receiving a carpet nem directly from Viet Nam. It will land at LAX and ship overnight to me. I am assuming the carpet will be in pretty bad shape due to the amount of travel time.

Do you suggest any changes to the protocol since it will have been in transit for quite some time? ( This will be my first experience with a carpet nem.)

I have cipro but I will be getting the other 2 meds asap. How much of the other 2 meds do you suggest I get?

Thank you! I'm guessing I will be back here when I have the carpet.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With antibiotic more is not better. These medication are detrimental to animal and human but bacterial infection are more deadly. Treat if must, but don't think that medications, especially antibiotics, are not harmful

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, would this be a course of action when a rbta nem I've had for 6 months, was a split, begins to move around and won't stay attached to the glass and inflates/deflates at night?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And where can I get it without a prescription? Seems all places require a prescription.
You can get a prescription from a veterinarian - I would not necessarily trust 'online' sources - due to impurities, dose abnormalities, etc

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Nems have shortened tentacles in every single condition why not just delete it from the OP? What about a condition of long tentacles? A little confusing.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called and asked the vet I take my fog/cats to and they will not write a script for the Cipro.

What about if my nem sometimes has long tentacles and sometimes short? It's a rbta that lost its bubbles after the one and only time I fed it.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be receiving a carpet nem directly from Viet Nam. It will land at LAX and ship overnight to me. I am assuming the carpet will be in pretty bad shape due to the amount of travel time.

Do you suggest any changes to the protocol since it will have been in transit for quite some time? ( This will be my first experience with a carpet nem.)

I have cipro but I will be getting the other 2 meds asap. How much of the other 2 meds do you suggest I get?

Thank you! I'm guessing I will be back here when I have the carpet.
I bought cipro through Chewy.
here is the link

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called and asked the vet I take my fog/cats to and they will not write a script for the Cipro.

What about if my nem sometimes has long tentacles and sometimes short? It's a rbta that lost its bubbles after the one and only time I fed it.
Of that’s the only thing I wouldn’t treat it
If it’s mouth is gapping, if it deflated and stays that way for long periods of it showing it filaments then I would

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of that’s the only thing I wouldn’t treat it
If it’s mouth is gapping, if it deflated and stays that way for long periods of it showing it filaments then I would
Only deflates sometimes at night but has been improving. Still has short tentacles/ bubbled, is an rbta. It is constantly moving. Mouth is randomly gaping, but mostly not. Just a note, this rbta never had bubble tips in the nano it came from until I moved it to my reefer 350. It was the split from the parent in my nano. I have been adding a splash of stability and biospira the last week but not sure that has anything to do with it. This is a 1 year cycled tank with no fish, a couple crabs and snails and a small clump of chaeto and some sps/lps

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only deflates sometimes at night but has been improving. Still has short tentacles/ bubbled, is an rbta. It is constantly moving. Mouth is randomly gaping, but mostly not. Just a note, this rbta never had bubble tips in the nano it came from until I moved it to my reefer 350. It was the split from the parent in my nano. I have been adding a splash of stability and biospira the last week but not sure that has anything to do with it. This is a 1 year cycled tank with no fish, a couple crabs and snails and a small clump of chaeto and some sps/lps
Pictures ?
You could always treat if you feel you need to. How long has he been in the big tank (sorry if you said this already)?

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horrible pics, lights ramping down. Been in there maybe 2 months. First month it was happy on back of rock under the light. Now it's on the move 24/7. Killed a few corals, fell off glass, etc...

IMG_20200918_205157813.jpg IMG_20200918_205043999.jpg

Apoc68

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the middle of treating a H. Magnifica that was in my tank for about a month and then began to decline.

I am treating in a 10 gallon and at day 5, I was doing some more reading and read a post about someone using a powerhead to blow water directly into the mouth and noticing a massive improvement the next day.

My nem was starting to improve after 5 days but progress was slow so I decided to try forcing the ABX water into the animal. I used an OLD, WORN HYDOR PICO for this. I can't stress enough how little water this powerhead moved. It was extremely gentle and I simply pointed it towards the mouth for about a minute.

I didn't blow the nem up like a balloon but it was a little more inflated when I was done.

The next day, I was surprised to see all signs of deflation were gone, mouth closed and it was inflated to nearly double the size of the night before. I believe that assisting the new in taking in the ABX treated water improved it's effectiveness but again, this powerhead was almost finished and was extremely gentle. If it was a larger one, it would probably do more harm than good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back