How I Cipro

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone deflated on then 1st couple of days of treatment so I proceeded with the 250mg/10 gallon treatment for a week.

On the 7th day I had a friend coming over to help rescaping the tank so I kept the anemone in the hospital tank for an extra day waiting for the dust to settle.

On the next morning the anemone went in in and I managed to put it where I wanted. I removed it from the glass jar and it wasn't willing to attach to the rock immediately after, it took about an hour.

I turn my back on the tank and when I return after a few minute, the water was very cloudy. During the day it cleared up.

Next day (today) I wake up and go check the tank and the tank and it's cloudy again. The magnifica's mouth is tightly closed, perking up like a pointy volcano. Could this be out of stress?

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely stress related due to the move.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have not had time to read the entire thread but is this prophylactic or used to help acclimate the new? Are the meds necessary for a tank with no other nems in it? I'm getting ready to see my first nem tank and and doing all the research I can

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have cipro at hand before getting the anemone, but since you don't have any other anemones, I would put it straight into the tank and watch out for deflations.

If it needs treatment ,you need to treat it outside of your main tank.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's def considered an Rx med, but it's about as necessary as copper or something similar in regards to owning nems. It's literally the only thing we have at the moment that has worked with any regularity.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on bleaching tanks in between uses instead or is that already a part of your cleaning habits

What do you think about using plastic containers instead of glass? Do you really need a filter or could aeration alone be enough?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic tend to absorb things, but having plastic bin for treatment is OK. You really want something that is easy to partition with a divider and easy to clean and sterilized if needed. Small glass aquarium is ideal IMO, but anything inert and not give off stuff will do.
Bleaching is not needed IMO. If the tank dry out all the bacterial will died. I would clean the tank well, dry and store face down or have cover so dust does not get into it. Slight rinse before using the next time.
Due to the amount of water change recommended and needed, 100% everyday, filter is not needed.
A little more expensive (not if you buy at Petco 1 dollar per gallon sale, but permanent, don't use it for anything else. Consider the prices of the animal we buy (at least I buy), and the price of our reef, this is a very low cost indeed.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic tend to absorb things, but having plastic bin for treatment is OK. You really want something that is easy to partition with a divider and easy to clean and sterilized if needed. Small glass aquarium is ideal IMO, but anything inert and not give off stuff will do.
Bleaching is not needed IMO. If the tank dry out all the bacterial will died. I would clean the tank well, dry and store face down or have cover so dust does not get into it. Slight rinse before using the next time.
Due to the amount of water change recommended and needed, 100% everyday, filter is not needed.
A little more expensive (not if you buy at Petco 1 dollar per gallon sale, but permanent, don't use it for anything else. Consider the prices of the animal we buy (at least I buy), and the price of our reef, this is a very low cost indeed.
Okay, thank you for your input. My plan is to do this both for elegance and anemones. I also think you could make your meds stretch by using 5g and make cleaning easier that way. 5g or so tubs may also be easier depending what I find.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of the Rx tank is based on size of the specimen being treated just like any other Rx/Qt tank. 10g just happened to be the recommended because they accommodate a lot and are easy to get your hands on

Chad_P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does an antiobiotic like Cefdinir compare to Cipro? I’ve got an anemone that’s taking a dive fast and having a hard time sourcing Cipro sooner than a couple of days.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not use Cefdinir so I am not sure. It does cover a lot of the Gram neg bacterial.
If you are going to use it, I would use about 150 mg/10 gal of water. That would give appropriate drug level in the water that should work id the bacterial is sensitive to it.
Good luck

Chad_P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not use Cefdinir so I am not sure. It does cover a lot of the Gram neg bacterial.
If you are going to use it, I would use about 150 mg/10 gal of water. That would give appropriate drug level in the water that should work id the bacterial is sensitive to it.
Good luck

Thanks! I was able to get some Cipro from my LFS. Although he could not tell me how old it was. From researching t sounds like Cipro doesn’t go bad?

I ordered some fish flox and that arrived so I’ll start using that rather than the Cipro from my FLS in the event it’s lost it’s potency.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro tablet does not go bad unless you get it moist or in very hot condition. Cool, and dry they last decades.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're lucky to be saved from my paint skills, this is super old but exactly how I set it up. The Nem is sitting on an upsidedown coffes mug.

I keep the heater and the powerhead on the other side of the divider too keep my little friends off of that equipment.

pWqTej9.png

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back through my picture archive this is him upon receiving the first treatment.

6OGVMjV.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back