How long can softies stay out of water?

Discussion in 'Soft Coral Discussion' started by rantipole, Jul 4, 2017.

1. rantipole

rantipole Well-Known Member

Hi all,

The title of this thread is my question: How long can soft corals and zoas stay out of water?

The background for my question is this: I have a chunk of live rock that has become covered with hair algae. I want to take it out of the tank and scrub the algae off. The problem is that two leather corals and some zoas were superglued to the rock. None of them are very big. Can I just take the rock out with the corals and scrub off the algae? Will the corals and zoas be OK?

Thank you!

Cheers,
    rant

2. JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad PMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

Yeah, they should be fine. With those coral I would just pull the rock out and spritz the rock down with hydrogen peroxide. Let it sit 2 or 3 minutes, rinse off in fresh saltwater if you feel like it, if not just toss back in your tank.

3. rantipole

Thanks. Should I be careful not to hit the coral with the peroxide?

Cheers,
    rant

4. JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad PMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

I can't say that I have ever dipped or sprayed leathers, but I have let zoos sit in straight 3% walmart hydrogen peroxide for 15 minutes or so with no ill effect. I imagine that leathers would be pretty resistant to it as well. If you search around there is a chart somewhere. It will kill the algae in just a couple of minutes.

5. Tahoe61

Tahoe61 Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

I would be surprised if there was a long term adverse reaction.
    They used to and probably still ship zoanthids wrapped in moist news paper.

miyags likes this.
  6. rantipole

Thanks. Do you just use regular peroxide? Do I need to dilute it?

Cheers,
    rant

7. rantipole

I took the rock out and sprayed it with peroxide. I left it soak on there for 10-15 minutes and then rinsed with saltwater. Algae has turned a grayish white but not fallen off yet. Do I need to scrub it?

The zoas look fine. The two leathers are closed up but don't look like they were damaged at all. Hopefully they're just ticked off and will spring back.

Cheers,
    rant

8. Mandrew

Mandrew Well-Known Member

I would take the algae off or else it will decay in the tank and cause more nutrients to grow more algae.

Draft saved Draft deleted