How long do you cut flow for your LPS feedings?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NeptuneRjo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

NeptuneRjo

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
200
Reaction score
157
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started feeding my single coralite of favia and was wondering how long I should keep flow off.

I've read that 10-15 minutes is a good amount of time but I'd figure I'll ask for everyone's usual feeding times to get a general idea on what I should be doing for the best results.
 
I generally keep it off for 10 minutes and then ramp back up to normal flow over the next 5 minutes. This normally gives my corals enough time to get food and close before the flow returns
 
I have it staggered, but all pumps off for 5 minutes, one small pump kicks on at 5 minutes, all pumps kick on at 10 minutes, and return kicks on at 15 minutes (skimmer after 30-60 minutes depending on what I feed).
 
When I feed my frogspawn and hammer, as well as my candy cane coral, acans, blastos, I generally leave flow off for about an hour. It takes that long for the hammer and frog spawn’s mouth to close.
 
Healthy LPS tentacles should be sticky enough to grab onto the food and eat it without turning off the flow.
 
I turn my flow off for about 5 - 10 minutes ... my snails and hermits thank me for it
 
Healthy LPS tentacles should be sticky enough to grab onto the food and eat it without turning off the flow.
I'm feeding a mix of reefroids and coralilific delite so the favia getting anything other than a couple of particles is pretty challenging in flow
 
1 hour. I have some fast eaters and some slow eaters. Mind you I only do this once a week. Other times they are fed with little to no cut in flow. During the hour I wash out the skimmer, change the filter sock and prepare for water change.
 
I’m in the 15-30 min crowd. Only because I have so many. From the first one to the last one takes about 15 to feed then I leave it off for another 15.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new