How long in acclimation box

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damsel for sure.

Wouldn't hurt to move a few rocks around either. You want to "scold" the aggressor, not "punish" the the one being bullied. Moving some rocks around might reestablish the damsels space too. Your other fish will be able to lay claim to some real estate before the bully gets put back in.
I actually did that. I have a zoa garden (well garden in the making lol) and moved that rock to the back of the tank where the RG hangs and the other two stay more toward the front of the reef.

Damsels are damsels, they all get quite aggressive eventually IME.

You do realize your clowns are in the damsel family also? Kind of explains why they are so mean at times too.
I did NOT know that!

Thank you for clarifying who gets a time out.

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the starcki in the box, rearrange the rocks whilst the damsel is in the box then let him free after a few days. I would be careful, eventually the clown will try nip at you when you try and work in the tank. Mine started this habit yesterday… never before had she nipped at me but yesterday when moving a rock around she went at me. If you have a venomous fish in the tank you may drop the rock in fear (I have a foxface in my tank so thought I was close to the spines - He was on the other side of the tank but I didn’t process that). This is because damsels and clownfish fall under the same family.
I don't have any venomous fish. Does it hurt when the clown bites? Mine has not dont that... yet

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don't have any venomous fish. Does it hurt when the clown bites? Mine has not dont that... yet
Doesnt hurt but kinda startles you. Maroon and tomato however can tear skin

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hurts when they get 4” and manage to draw blood, at a younger stage (mines around 2”) it’s more of a nip over territory. The only time mine did this was when I moved her rock because of territory. Occelaris aren’t afraid to tear skin however maroons and most other clowns will tear skin at younger ages. I have had my hand in a tank with a 4” female black occ and a 3 inch male black occ… blood was drawn.
The only reason a clown will ever bite is if you’re too close to their territory, I would pair my clown up but I’d rather not struggle to find a £70+ Black Photon when I got a juvenile at £25. I also feel like a pair would be worse since there’s two biting.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back