How many fish only vs reef tank?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Tommy McDonald, Oct 16, 2017.

?
  1. Reef

527 vote(s)
    96.2%
  2. Fish only

14 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Had Reef tank turn Fish only

7 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Tommy McDonald

Tommy McDonald Active Member

Just wondering how many of you guys just have fish vs how many have a reef set up

Tags:

2. Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory Well-Known Member

Could add an option for Reef tank and Fish only

AlexG and A Toadstool Leather like this.
  3. A Toadstool Leather

A Toadstool Leather Well-Known Member

I joined this hobby for corals only. I have one fish, but I find corals more interesting. Not to mention a low bioload tank is less worrisome when im away.

4. andrewkw

andrewkw Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Please add one of each (or more).

While reefs are what have drawn me in and I will probably always have a reef until either I die or am too old to take care of it, I'll probably always have a fish only or at least secondary tank so I can keep something weird / not reef safe / unique away from my reef. The natural progression is usually upgrade your tank size, but if you keep the old tank too then it's an opportunity to turn it into something else.

A Toadstool Leather likes this.
  5. flsalty

flsalty Well-Known Member

+1 on this.

Aways add, never just upgrade...lol

6. Rakie

Rakie Federal Coral Reserve R2R Supporter SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm gonna say this and it's not what FOWLR people want to hear, but it's my 2 cents.

1) FOWLR is so, so, so ugly. Something about plain rock just looks like an entire tank is being wasted, it literally detracts from the fish to me. Put in some basic soft corals and suddenly it looks like a great system. My ideal "FOWLR" would be Photosynthetic Gorgonians, sun corals, secluded rock structures of paly/zoa's, etc etc.

These corals can be kept with bare minimum lighting and do okay -- It will give your tank a little pop that's missing. They won't need to be the fanciest or crazy looking corals. They won't need much as they're being fed heavily by fish waste and bits of food. And they require very little to no lighting. And lastly, they cost very little, and have almost zero maintenance.

To me, that's a win, win, win.

2) FW fish are better for the big aggressive fish thing. Yep. I said it.

Gar are cool
    [​IMG]

$400,000 platinum Arowana (not a typo)
    [​IMG]

African Tiger Fish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Freshwater Barracuda
    [​IMG]

Golden Dorado (yes, people keep these big guys!)
    [​IMG]

I know, I'm a broken record. I like reefs, and big aggressive FW fish.

If you FOWLR guys feel daring, and want to invest in a BIG tank (i'm talking 1500g+) you will be heavily rewarded by having fish like these. They're amazing creatures, more simple in pattern but equally colorful, and typically easier to setup an Aquarium Quality biotope.

Most of these big guys are river fish, setup a LONG and WIDE tank and put a ton of flow on one end, and some brush on the other end. These guys go great with dither fish, and look amazing with a coarse sandy substrate and a few river rocks. you can have some vegetation with these guys as well.

7. jmanyoma

jmanyoma Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Well that's a lopsided vote lol

Reef tank ftw

A Toadstool Leather likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted