How much did you spend?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is expensive even if you buy everything used. I’m wondering in the first few months/year…how much did you spend on everything? I’m curious. I just did some math and 2 months into it with a 20 gallon tank I’ve spent around $1,500 USD! I also realize like anything you acquire things overtime and most don’t buy everything they’ll ever need all at once. It’s hard and addicting lol. And omg coral is so expensive especially considering some frags are hundreds or thousands of dollars. But I will say it’s something I saved for but never expected to spend this much.
I estimated my current 29 gallon tank with sump to replace the equipment and have it running with live rock and sand, based on 2021 prices would be around $2000.

No fancy controllers, no spendy testing, no stand, no hood.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never ever have a questioned the added value for what you have described - it is just not required "for everyone"

I know its not required, but for someone like myself who works 11 hour days, five days a week. With a new home where I am working basically all weekend in the yard and so forth, it is a godsent. Last thing I want to do when I get home is sit down and do tests for an hour.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money I Cant Believe It GIF by PUSHER

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Basically, budget for a nice used to new car if you are 90 or above. It adds up quickly. $1500 for a 20 sounds right in the ballpark to me. I think a lot of people will brag about how it can be done for so little. Though it is possible, I do think generally reef hobbyists are not including all of the costs, or just not being honest with themselves. This is and always has been an expensive hobby. First thing non hobbyists always say, "oh I hear reef tanks are expensive'. Yup.

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, budget for a nice used to new car if you are 90 or above. It adds up quickly. $1500 for a 20 sounds right in the ballpark to me. I think a lot of people will brag about how it can be done for so little. Though it is possible, I do think generally reef hobbyists are not including all of the costs, or just not being honest with themselves. This is and always has been an expensive hobby. First thing non hobbyists always say, "oh I hear reef tanks are expensive'. Yup.
This is what shocked me. If someone had asked me what i had spent on the tank(s) so far (only two months in). My guess would have been half of what It actually cost (as i have been keeping track of every expense)

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am not to sure I have never really added it up but am thinking around 5 to 6 g . I don’t regret it at all just hate this algae I can’t get rid of it just beats me down every time

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is expensive even if you buy everything used. I’m wondering in the first few months/year…how much did you spend on everything? I’m curious. I just did some math and 2 months into it with a 20 gallon tank I’ve spent around $1,500 USD! I also realize like anything you acquire things overtime and most don’t buy everything they’ll ever need all at once. It’s hard and addicting lol. And omg coral is so expensive especially considering some frags are hundreds or thousands of dollars. But I will say it’s something I saved for but never expected to spend this much.

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I've kept track of is my setup cost for my current 90g:

90g tank, stand, canopy $300 (used)
29g sump $10 (used)
Mag7 return pump $68 (new on sale)
2 bb led panels (new off eBay, $60/ea) $120
DIY ATS setup w/ leds ~ $30
Salt - $50
Sand - $40
80lbs LR - $80 (massive savings over lfs prices)
Misc plumbing - $40
ATO & pump $50

Total up and running cost for 90g reef: $788

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently priced out a new 80 gallon with all the bells and whistles (no automatic testing though, not my thing) and it was coming out to like 7-10K depending on tank and light manufacture/setup

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back