How much lighting do I need?

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm purchasing a 72x 24x 24 tank and plan for the aquarium to be SPS dominant. I'm interested in Ecotech lighting and thought that getting 3x XR 15s would be enough lighting for me. I talked to an expert and he recommended 4x XR30s. I will be using the eco-tech multi-light RMS to mount them. It seems as though the lights will somewhere around 7" from the top edge of the tank (according to Ecotech)

suggestions? Any help or opinions are welcome.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS dominate will require more than 3 XR15s. The recommended spread won't be 2x2. I would guess that when the sticks fill in, you will want more than 4 because of coverage and shading.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm purchasing a 72x 24x 24 tank and plan for the aquarium to be SPS dominant. I'm interested in Ecotech lighting and thought that getting 3x XR 15s would be enough lighting for me. I talked to an expert and he recommended 4x XR30s. I will be using the eco-tech multi-light RMS to mount them. It seems as though the lights will somewhere around 7" from the top edge of the tank (according to Ecotech)

suggestions? Any help or opinions are welcome.

I agree with the (4) XR30s for SPS sounds about right. If it were me I would probably do (3) XR30s and a couple of T-5 but I am guessing you do not want t-5.

You might be able to get away with 3 XR30's at a minimum but I wouldn't.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 Radion XR30 pros on my 72x27x24, and they did fine for 3 years. Recently I added another to help with coverage due to the huge colonies. This is how I set them up.

Now I have 4, oriented front to back, again with the pair of T5.

IMG_2157.JPG

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank rimless with a wide open top? Or does it have plastic braces running front to back connecting a rim around the edges of the tank

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're taking all opinions: 2500 bucks (if you go with 3 XR30s) is a lot to spend on LEDs to have to supplement with T5s. That is the trouble with lighting large tanks with LEDs. If you want Radions, then great. If you aren't stuck on them, or LEDs in general, there are other options...including cheaper LEDs or Metal Halide or T5 fluorescent systems.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
4 XR30s will be the minimum. At best they can do is 24x18 for a full SPS tank. That is over $3200 in just lights. I could crush that setup with a halide/LED combo and come in at less than $2000. That will include some "expensive" XHO bars.

3 - 250w Reef Brite pendants with either 14 or 20k bulbs and at least one 60" XHO bar. Set it and forget. Light will NEVER be an issue.

Some will claim heat and power and blah blah blah but here is the actual truth. The halides will run right around 750w, give you amazing spread, and the best spectrum available. The XHO can be run morning and night for a nice dusk/dawn effect. They won't heat up your tank unless your ambient temp is already 76+.

4 XR30s will need to be run pretty close to 100% equaling over 800w. Add another one and you are over 1000w. Here is the kicker, LEDs don't save you money in the long run. You can replace a LOT of bulbs with the $1200+ in savings.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Retail sure, but used is much cheaper. Also, buy as you go. Start with the xr15, want more shimmer add the kessil, want less shadowing add the led strips. Buy them when someone is desperately trying to sell.

Most quality LED solutions that get you to 500+ uniform par in the top third are going to retail $2k for 3-4 ft. 3 xr30, 4 kessil, 3 Atlantik compacts, 2 coral care.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 XR30s will be the minimum. At best they can do is 24x18 for a full SPS tank. That is over $3200 in just lights. I could crush that setup with a halide/LED combo and come in at less than $2000. That will include some "expensive" XHO bars.

3 - 250w Reef Brite pendants with either 14 or 20k bulbs and at least one 60" XHO bar. Set it and forget. Light will NEVER be an issue.

Some will claim heat and power and blah blah blah but here is the actual truth. The halides will run right around 750w, give you amazing spread, and the best spectrum available. The XHO can be run morning and night for a nice dusk/dawn effect. They won't heat up your tank unless your ambient temp is already 76+.

4 XR30s will need to be run pretty close to 100% equaling over 800w. Add another one and you are over 1000w. Here is the kicker, LEDs don't save you money in the long run. You can replace a LOT of bulbs with the $1200+ in savings.

Those reef brites do look nice. Slap some twin arc 14k bulbs in and a pair of xho blues and youre set. I’d be thrilled to run that if I could logistically

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a light bracket with 5 Reef Brite XHO's? That would be about a 2100 dollar light set up with the brackets and dimmer switches. That would give you a lot of light dispersion to minimize shadowing, very even light spread and plenty of PAR for SPS corals. Dollar for Dollar that would be a whole lot of light per a buck spent. In a SPS tank, other than money spent on your coral collection, lighting is gonna be your most expensive component in all likelyhood. If not it will be a close 2nd! I can tell you that the color pop your going to get from the Reef Brite (actinics) is off the chain! What ever you choose you will want to shoot for about 250-350 PAR in as much of the tank as possible without any hot spots going above 400 PAR.

FWIW...the last time I had a 125 I was running 3 x 400 watt halides with 14K bulbs and 2 x 160 watt Actinic VHO's (which I dont think are available anymore).

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're taking all opinions: 2500 bucks (if you go with 3 XR30s) is a lot to spend on LEDs to have to supplement with T5s. That is the trouble with lighting large tanks with LEDs. If you want Radions, then great. If you aren't stuck on them, or LEDs in general, there are other options...including cheaper LEDs or Metal Halide or T5 fluorescent systems.
I love the idea of using halide + T5, but electricity – in the long run – will be an issue, correct? I mean, they look incredible, but they do use a lot more electricity

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brilliant thoughts, thanks.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back