How often do you blow out your rockwork?

How often do you "blow out" (with a pump, turkey baster, etc.) your rock work?

• Once a week or more

Votes: 272 23.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 202 17.1%
  • A couple times a year

Votes: 131 11.1%
  • Once a year

Votes: 32 2.7%
  • Never

Votes: 218 18.4%
  • When I think of it

Votes: 186 15.7%
  • With Water Changes

Votes: 143 12.1%

• Total voters

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to never do it, then GHA blew up in my tank lol. Doing everything I can think of short of chemicals to get it under control now, and probably blast the rocks/frags 2-3 times a week.

JaMin2179

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to vote "Never" only because I'm brand new to reefing and didn't know any better. I'm just cycling my first tank now so I have a lot to learn! I've kept freshwater tanks all my life and I've always wanted to try my hand at reefing. I'm really going to rely on all of you for advice!

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it a couple times a day but im being drastic since im dealing with dinos. It definitely helps.

HaydenS13reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to Turkey baste right before a wc and right before changing filter floss/socks. I also position my Powerhead towards the bottom while I turkey baste to help push up any detritus from the bottom up to filter out. Works out pretty good for me.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do mine weekly when I do a 10% water change. I don't go crazy doing so but I do do it as well as gently disturbing just the tippy top of sand bed.

lesterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a poll to see how regularly people blow out their rock work.

How often do you blow your rock work out and how do you do it?

It's something I've started doing a few times a week, and since doing so I feel like my general tank health has really improved. Random clumps of algae have been disappearing and corals seem happier with better polyp extension too.

My hypothesis is this helps get all the gunk out of the rock work that acts as (essentially) fertilizer to algae, as well as encourages liverock to absorb excess phosphates. I also believe phosphates wicking from the rock work, into the bases of large SPS colonies where their base gets minimal flow due to growth could lead to RTN and STN events.

Those are just my hypotheses, and I would be curious to hear anyone else's thoughts/experiences!
I bought a power head so I can start. Was thinking of doing it maybe twice a month. But I might follow your lead. Thanks!

JustJoan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was blowing out my rocks now and then, mostly then, until i got diatoms. I have been blowing my rocks out now at least once a day. When the diatoms were really bad, I blew my rocks off 3 to 4 times a day. My right arm is buff!!

MDProuty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not even sure I know what it means to blow out your rocks. Are you taking a power head and moving it around over your rocks or are you using different equipment to do this. I could definitely see where it would be beneficial. Looking forward to your feedback...

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides controlling algae, diatoms, etc.; can anybody see any favorable response by SPS, particularly Acros? Polyp extension, color, or growth.

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a week, before changing filter sock. What settles on the bottom I vacuum that out too into the sock. I do the blowing out of the rock by free handing a MJ 1200. I have a bare bottom so no kicking up the sand bed. When I do have a sand bed I resort to a turkey baster.

Edit:
I should explain my technique more in depth. I actually blow off my rock 2-3 times, depending on my attention time span, during the process. I don't just rely on my filter sock. I blow off the rock, hurry up put a half water bottle on the MJ with floss in it. Let the water column get "polished". Kick everything up again with MJ, let the floss do the work again, repeat....

Last edited:

plasma327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrient export mode and let the pumps do it.. But i have two ner5s and two mp10s on a 65 . One Mp blowing behind the rock work. the other mp 10 high on the other side and the 5s on the back wall. I have 80lbs of large crust and arogonite and blow the bottom to bare glass in less than a minute. So...... rocks clean.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is either Never, or Four times a day, depending on your definition of blowing out...

I have a pair of Tunze 6105's connected to my Apex. Normally, they run a 1 minute ramp up, 25 - 40%, inverse, meaning one is ramping down while the other is ramping up, then they swap.

At 6am, Noon, 6PM, and Midnight, I kick both 6105's up to 100% power for 2 minutes. Really moves some water... Each is rated at 3400 GPH, with both running full out, there isn't anything settling in my tank. In fact, I've had to glue down my frag rack :D Fish seem to have gotten used to it, though they freaked out a bit at first. Don't seem to mind anymore.

Nothing there to manually blow out :)
^^^This^^^

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 mp10's on a 30gl. breeder running 50% LOTS of flow. I still find myself using a turkey baster before a wc to cleanoff the rocks. With live rock and feeding and fish waste its never ending no matter how many power heads a running.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did this a couple of days ago and it was overdue. Need to return to doing monthly. For me, in my 45 AIO bare bottom, I do as follows
  1. Cut a filter pad for two pieces to fit behind the dual overflows
  2. Go over the whole tank with an MJ 1200 powerhead (bottom, back wall and all rocks avoiding delicate corals).
  3. Hit a few known low flow or collection spots again hard with the turkey baster
  4. Next day, remove the disgusting filter pads and toss.
There are a few main arteries in my rockwork I have found that are key to cleaning them out. When I hit these big holes with the turkey baster I get massive amounts of detritus erupting from several smaller holes. I highly recommend trying this as it blows out way more crud than just hitting the surface alone.

This was the tank Wednesday after a blow out.
F6C708B8-3FE9-4FF1-85EF-A19882DCAE9F.jpeg

Macey’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pretty high flow as it is, but I also have a PMUP I zip tied to a 24" piece of 1/2' PVC pipe that I can move around to blow off the rocks and sand. I don't get much off the rocks because of the high flow, but it does get in the crevises. I barely dust the sand so I don't create a sand storm.

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turkey baster my bare-bottom 20gallon tank every day. Another advantage of having no sand bed; cleaning is so easy.

Promodcrazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a once a year water change and take rocks out and throughly blow them off. I have an excellent filter system that keeps water crystal clear, I may add salt do to creep and mineral supplements along the year as needed.

FB_IMG_1597441509796.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back