How often do you blow out your rockwork?

How often do you "blow out" (with a pump, turkey baster, etc.) your rock work?

• Once a week or more

Votes: 272 23.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 202 17.1%
  • A couple times a year

Votes: 131 11.1%
  • Once a year

Votes: 32 2.7%
  • Never

Votes: 218 18.4%
  • When I think of it

Votes: 186 15.7%
  • With Water Changes

Votes: 143 12.1%

• Total voters

KWT

Keep on keepin on
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted water changes, but it has already happened, and I have not done a water change yet. My tanks hove not been running for 3 weeks yet and I have cleaned off the rock work.

Lp1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to hit what I can with a baster once a week or so. have tons of flow but it still settles and builds up in the holes

RYcube2951

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it when it looks like it needs it. My substrate stays in place pretty well.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain this set up a little to us?

Sure, nobody really produces a diatomaceous earth filter anymore So I decided to build one. I originally planned to purchase a The Inland Seas Nu-Clear Model 530 and run it with an iwaki pump but found this pool filter for about half as much. Only draw back is its size and the fact that it’s direct drive so if I run it more the a few hours my temps rise. runs at 60 GPM so quite a storm! I attached a line to one of the returns so I can blast the rock work. Sometimes I just use the filter at 25 microns, other times I’ll charge it with diatomaceous earth and filter down to 3 microns.

13178BB7-FA97-4A50-AEAC-68817D2C3AB9.jpeg

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a poll to see how regularly people blow out their rock work.

How often do you blow your rock work out and how do you do it?

It's something I've started doing a few times a week, and since doing so I feel like my general tank health has really improved. Random clumps of algae have been disappearing and corals seem happier with better polyp extension too.

My hypothesis is this helps get all the gunk out of the rock work that acts as (essentially) fertilizer to algae, as well as encourages liverock to absorb excess phosphates. I also believe phosphates wicking from the rock work, into the bases of large SPS colonies where their base gets minimal flow due to growth could lead to RTN and STN events.

Those are just my hypotheses, and I would be curious to hear anyone else's thoughts/experiences!
I thought it was the fish’s job all this time;)

seriously never used to do it on my previous tank, and never had issues:)

ACReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it every couple of days asI have a fish that spits sand on some of my lower rocks. Also some cyano on some rocks. I use a turkey baster to blow them off.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use a filter sock during normal operation. I do a rock blow out and attach a filter sock and let it run till it clogs, (~24-36hrs) I usually do a 10% water change with it and THRUOUGHLY clean a quadrant of the sand bed.

OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, nobody really produces a diatomaceous earth filter anymore So I decided to build one. I originally planned to purchase a The Inland Seas Nu-Clear Model 530 and run it with an iwaki pump but found this pool filter for about half as much. Only draw back is its size and the fact that it’s direct drive so if I run it more the a few hours my temps rise. runs at 60 GPM so quite a storm! I attached a line to one of the returns so I can blast the rock work. Sometimes I just use the filter at 25 microns, other times I’ll charge it with diatomaceous earth and filter down to 3 microns.

13178BB7-FA97-4A50-AEAC-68817D2C3AB9.jpeg
that's intense! I've seen some people (ReefDudes, also a guy at BRS) do something similar with a smaller pump and a 10' sediment cartridge. It's crazy how much you pull out!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-5 times per week with a turkey baster. I mainly go for the areas of the rocks where i know more junk hides. It has been a great help with my tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back