How often do you blow out your rockwork?

How often do you "blow out" (with a pump, turkey baster, etc.) your rock work?

• Once a week or more

Votes: 272 23.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 202 17.1%
  • A couple times a year

Votes: 131 11.1%
  • Once a year

Votes: 32 2.7%
  • Never

Votes: 218 18.4%
  • When I think of it

Votes: 186 15.7%
  • With Water Changes

Votes: 143 12.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I've used that I feel works better than a turkey baster (besides a small pump/powerhead) is the BRS spot feeding bottle that comes with reef chili. I nipped the nozzle so the opening is larger, then submerge the bottle and squeeze all the air out. More effective and less straining than a turkey baster IME.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty often - and quite a bit comes out even running barebottom with a ton of flow. Sometimes it's every day, sometimes once or twice a week.

It tends to induce a feeding response in the lps corals in the tank.

OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty often - and quite a bit comes out even running barebottom with a ton of flow. Sometimes it's every day, sometimes once or twice a week.

It tends to induce a feeding response in the lps corals in the tank.

I’ve definitely noticed a feeding response induction as well. Most people tend to agree fish poop is the best coral food, I see blowing out rock work and dislodging waste as assisting with this

OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Result of my weekly turkey baste in one of my shop tanks, it’s like this every week!
4DF5FA67-6355-4304-A2FF-D09355F4F0B5.jpeg
F84C2DE6-C4E7-4DE2-9653-DF66432B08AC.jpeg

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's intense! I've seen some people (ReefDudes, also a guy at BRS) do something similar with a smaller pump and a 10' sediment cartridge. It's crazy how much you pull out!

My first job I worked for a very successful shop called Tropic Seas in Denver. we had a portable filter like the one I built, and my job was to go from tank to tank cleaning them. A natural reef is constantly being flushed so to me it makes sense. I’m sure Paul B would a tribute a lot of the success of his forty seven year old tank to his use of a diatomaceous filter.

OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first job I worked for a very successful shop called Tropic Seas in Denver. we had a portable filter like the one I built, and my job was to go from tank to tank cleaning them. A natural reef is constantly being flushed so to me it makes sense. I’m sure Paul B would a tribute a lot of the success of his forty seven year old tank to his use of a diatomaceous filter.
I’ve only come across one of those working in 50+ year old reef shop. useful tricks of old, lost in translation lol

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. I’m sure Paul B would a tribute a lot of the success of his forty seven year old tank to his use of a diatomaceous filter.

Yes I would, I don't understand how anyone would have an old tank if they didn't clean it like this at least once or twice a year.
Stuff clogs. :cool:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why if you have good life that lives on your what is supposed to be live rock why do you blow it away!

That stuff living on your rock will stay there, it's the pores in the rock that needs cleaning. In the tropics there are typhoons all the time and if you have ever seen one you will know how the rocks get cleaned. I have seen sea fans along with 40' boats thrown 100' up on a hillside.

I have also been on Saint Lucia brain corals half the size of my house up side down. The sea bottom gets cleaned fairly well which keeps the pores open in the rocks.

The bacteria, pods etc living in the rocks eventually die leaving their exoskeletons eventually closing those pores to bacteria.

In the sea the rocks also break exposing new surfaces which doesn't happen in most tanks. :cool:

Last edited:

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it weakly, very weakly.....
The reason is, if you have a larger tank, no matter your flow rate, it's mostly going to just settle back into the rock before it gets taken away in your overflow. Having huge microbubble action going as you blow the rocks helps some to get the debris up to the overflows.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it weakly, very weakly.....
The reason is, if you have a larger tank, no matter your flow rate, it's mostly going to just settle back into the rock before it gets taken away in your overflow. Having huge microbubble action going as you blow the rocks helps some to get the debris up to the overflows.

I have just started doing this, I throw the airstone on and then blow the rocks off about 2 mins after the micro bubbles come on. the bubbles stay on for about 20 min after I blow the rocks off. I do like how clear the water is after!

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been blowing off rocks often maybe once a month. I'm going to start 2 times a week reading this. Filter socks are due for a change in the next couple of days so I will hope it doesn't clog while the other 2 dry

OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just started doing this, I throw the airstone on and then blow the rocks off about 2 mins after the micro bubbles come on. the bubbles stay on for about 20 min after I blow the rocks off. I do like how clear the water is after!
Definitely! This is looking down the same 7 foot tank I posted above about 2 hours later

33A95585-CB40-43D8-9D38-868A2F4EADF6.jpeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly use the turkey baster. I have a pump to use but to be honest I don't do that often because it is an extra step I don't feel that is necessary. When I use a pump I dont get too much the turkey baster does a great job and is more easily controlled.

JustJoan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not even sure I know what it means to blow out your rocks. Are you taking a power head and moving it around over your rocks or are you using different equipment to do this. I could definitely see where it would be beneficial. Looking forward to your feedback...
Hi. I see you are a new member. Welcome! I just use my turkey baster, suck water up into it and blow it out on and between the rocks. Sometimes you see dirt fly out from a different spot. I tried to do it with a power head, but it is too widespread. I am thinking maybe a water pik would work.....

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard of this practice before I read this post maybe you need some little life love a balance can be reached no matter how fragile it may seem or may be!

image.jpg 0BD8735D-77D9-453B-9C7D-A4B5AB6C9626.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back