How often do you tell people that you belong to an “Online Aquarium Club” and what is their response?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef2reef sometimes comes up in casual conversation, like "I read this interesting forum post today about x and it makes me really want one for my aquarium" which is usually followed by "Oh, what forum?", but I describe it as an online community built around the aquarium hobby. I've never called it a club.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you tell people that you belong to an “Online Aquarium Club” and what is their response?
I don't... (though my husband knows I'm always on here, lol). If I'm talking to someone who is also in the hobby, I might mention it but just by saying something like "I read this on a reef forum".

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
secret GIF

Never! I whisper or yell R2R as people pass by and wait for a response..

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only my immediate family knows of the resources and involvements I am in. I am not really an extrovert and I fear by mentioning this hobby to people not close enough is going to lead to a lot of (what we may consider) dumb questions and I am not very good at hiding my eyerolls

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow none of you? I am constantly telling people of this. People in my circle occasionally ask how my tank is doing and I tell others that are just acquaintances of mine. Most people won’t ask me any questions though.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think I have ever been an conversion where mentioning R2R would ever add to the conservation.

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, whenever I start talking about reefing with my normal friends, I get self conscious around the time I have to tell them about the deionizer in my basement because they wonder why I can't just get water from my sink. Then I realize I have to explain what a deionizer is, and that's when they start to look at me like I'm certifiably crazy. Thats usually when I stop, especially with co-workers. I have to keep the normal facade up sometimes.

I do often tell my friends about reef2reef, usually in the context of my desire to write an ethnography of reefers and their behavior on an online forum. Unfortunately they look at me like I'm nuts when I say that, too. For reference, I'm a design anthropologist.

Unfortunately I have no friends or acquaintances in the hobby since I taught myself everything in the two years we've been mostly stuck at home.

Cest la vie.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How often do you tell people that you belong to an “Online Aquarium Club” and what is their response?​

They say, "Wait.... what? I wasn't listening"

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, whenever I start talking about reefing with my normal friends, I get self conscious around the time I have to tell them about the deionizer in my basement because they wonder why I can't just get water from my sink. Then I realize I have to explain what a deionizer is, and that's when they start to look at me like I'm certifiably crazy. Thats usually when I stop, especially with co-workers. I have to keep the normal facade up sometimes.

I do often tell my friends about reef2reef, usually in the context of my desire to write an ethnography of reefers and their behavior on an online forum. Unfortunately they look at me like I'm nuts when I say that, too. For reference, I'm a design anthropologist.

Unfortunately I have no friends or acquaintances in the hobby since I taught myself everything in the two years we've been mostly stuck at home.

Cest la vie.
Mostly people have a hard time understanding the money I pay for one fish

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most online forums -- including this one -- don't fit the legal definition of "club", so no. A club typically is private and grants members voting privileges which are wielded to shape and influence the organization itself. I do belong to one online club dedicated to Atari computers that has an online forum, but that actually has a physical footprint in Germany (and voting privileges). I am not suggesting that R2R turn intself into a legal club or society.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow none of you? I am constantly telling people of this. People in my circle occasionally ask how my tank is doing and I tell others that are just acquaintances of mine. Most people won’t ask me any questions though.
Well technically I do talk to my dad about it, but most other people don't know about my hobby. And I agree with the previous comment, that it's not a new thing to follow hobby forums. The few times my boss (who also has a reef tank) and I have talked about our tanks at lunch, our coworkers' eye glazed over... lol. I'm not embarrassed, I just only share with people who are actually interested - which in my experience is usually other people in the hobby.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back