How old is too old to start in the hobby?

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ppl will tell you not to start with a tank less than 40 gallons, but ppl will tell you a lot of things that in the end as long as you understand the ups and downs is your choice to decide what is best for you. My first tank is 20 gallons — a Max Nano — and I love it. It fits in my small space, and maintenance is an absolute breeze. I do test and watch parameters more than I’d need to if I had a larger water volume, but it is not the terrible craziness others may lead you to believe. I didn’t need to dose for a long time, and now that I’ve I started all I need is a little bit of All for Reef by hand each day. Water changes are simple and accomplished with one 5-gallon bucket. Aside from paying someone to help if maintenance is an issue, there are other ways to arrive at a tank that is manageable for almost any circumstance.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: 72 years, three months, four days, six minutes, and a half a second old. Anyone older is too old.
Ohhhhh Nooo. I will be 73 this Christmas Day. I will have to give my tank away. Does anyone want it? :oops:

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 62 and only a couple years into my ranks. But you're never too old to learn about new things! And there are pumps to move around water! Anything is possible.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first reef tank at 56. I'm 59 now and taking what I've learned I'm planning my 20 year tank. It may not last 20 years but the point is designing easy maintenance, minimal water changes, high resiliency for times when I need a break, reduce or eliminate under tank work (sump), high ease of access so I can if able keep reefing a non-nano tank until I'm 80+.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These days I think there is no reason age should be an issue. There are some great tools to help with water changes, for example. I’d suggest investing in the right tools to make it less physically exerting if that’s a concern.

Townsaquaria

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never too old. You can get someone to care for it if you have to. I had a friend with a 90 year old grandpa who had a 10 gallon with tetras. When he died, the family asked if I could take his fish and I did. So there's no age rules here. Maybe just have a rehoming plan in case something happens.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how old is too old to start in this hobby? Water has to be changed, takes years to see corals and fish grow, a ton to learn, breeding, etc.? Does it make sense to jump when older?
I was growing softies and easy LPS in the first year in my original tank and it was a 38 gallon so it filled out quicker than a big tank.

It all depends on what you want for a tank and what your abilities are with regard to lifting and how much you can automate.

If I ever have to go into assisted living, I'll be the one with a reef jar.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, sorry you missed out..there's definitely an age limit. You must be "this tall" to ride. ⌛

Seriously though, never too old. If your heart and budget desires you could automate most things i.e. rodi water, auto top off, water changes, dosing, feeding pellets/flake. I'm sure you have a local forum you can join for free and or become a supporting member if they have that. If its anything like my local club people are very helpful and willing to lend advice or an actual hand if you need. Just research and take it slow as we all get different results even when we do the same thing. I could have two of the same strain of zoas right next to each other and they look different. Just start with knowing the baselines of keeping a reef and what corals/fish/inverts you plan on.

Reef Jockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one is ever too old... As long as there is a desire and passion for this hobby, any age will do just fine.
Like A Boss Dancing GIF

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how old is too old to start in this hobby? Water has to be changed, takes years to see corals and fish grow, a ton to learn, breeding, etc.? Does it make sense to jump when older?
If you want to and can devote a couple of hours a day DO IT!

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was 70 last year, with a significant disability, when installed a new 180. Other than help lifting it into place age has not been an issue. Second the recommendation to make your system as "smart" as possible with one of the several controller options out there that allow you to be as hands off or on as you want. Patience will be your best friend.

Back