How old is/was your oldest fish?

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’m new to reefing, but my mom started a FOWLR tank when I was 5 years old. I’m 30 now, blue tang she bought was one of the first fish in the tank and he’s still kicking it. 25 year old hippo tang. He’s insane. His name is Sergeant Blue aka Sarge, still going strong bullying his tank mates and eating super well. She also had a maroon clown live to be 22.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’m new to reefing, but my mom started a FOWLR tank when I was 5 years old. I’m 30 now, blue tang she bought was one of the first fish in the tank and he’s still kicking it. 25 year old hippo tang. He’s insane. His name is Sergeant Blue aka Sarge, still going strong bullying his tank mates and eating super well. She also had a maroon clown live to be 22.

First post. Welcome to R2R!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea as the ease of digital cameras was not around then. Probably 30 years ago, I'm sure I have an old pic somewhere but no idea where. I do have one of my current one along with a few others.
20200421_124922.jpg
Beautiful tank! Am I counting 5 triggers in your reef??? I lov it! Cool. Not reef safe in a reef and evidently works! Nice!

BlueZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two clowns have been with me for 12+ years (they are 2-3 years apart). Forgetting when I actually bought them in college, but they lived in a 80 gal, moved home 6 hour drive, into same 80 gal, then into a 90 gal. Bought my first house, moved the 90 there. Eventually got a 210 they went in. Had a kid and downsized to a 45 gal cube. Moved again into our second house, same 45 gal tank and finally this year into another 210 gal tank. So they have been in 5 different tanks and moved tanks 7 times. They’ve been through it all, even some crashes early on. Big gal is mean and has taught the little one to be mean too! Finger biters! But I love having them!

D99D94BE-46FA-46D4-B946-95C607CDD164.jpeg

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We adopted a Koran angel, Sohal, and porcupine puffer who were all over ten years old and LFS returns. The own sold them ten years prior and the owner couldn’t upgrade to bigger tank so traded in for smaller fish. We saw them all and took them home to our 180gal which still wasn’t big enough. One year later we upgraded to a 300g, 8’ for them and have had them over 3 years now. So they are 13+ yrs old. We also still have our first fish 6 yrs clown and 6yrs yellow tang, hippo tang, valentini puffer and coral beauty angel. I hope to have them 20 + yrs like some of you! It’s awesome to have these for so many years. I feel blessed!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not common, but also not that unusual to see a 20 year old tang. Impediment is more reefer longevity in the hobby than fish longevity. For example, I have had my yellow tang since 2013. Got it from a local reefer who himself got it from another local reefer in 2006. But I don’t know who that reefer twice removed was or how long he/she had the fish. So tang is at least 14 years old, maybe much older. I have a number of other fish like that.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been reefing about 3.5 years. So my oldest fish are my two clowns. At about 3.5 years. Purchased from a petco.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back