How Should I Mount My Lights??

rlkilwil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

As I get rolling on my (hopefully) SPS-only tank, I am dealing with some lighting struggles and need your advice!

Tank Details:
57g Deep Blue Rimless (36" wide, 18" deep, 20 something inches tall)
Center overflow
Lighting: 5x AI Hydra 26 (I know, old school- but a LOT of light)

So here's the big question/issue: I want to set my lights up so that two of them are centered on either side of the overflow near the back, and two will be closer together at the front, so kind of in a semi-circle around the overflow. I have them in a row currently, and I'm finding that it creates a large shadow on the front of the overflow and in the front center of the tank. Ideally, I will have acros packed into this tank, and a big shady spot isn't something I want to have to work around. I plan on creating a laser-cut mounting system for the lights, as I am a graphic designer (so I can design them to be whatever) and have a good buddy that has access to a laser cutting machine! The big question is, should I design that fixture and then mount it from the side, or from the back of the tank?? I could even mount it to the wall behind the tank or drill it into the stand. I'm just not sure what's best, because all I have ever dealt with personally is the typical arm mount attached to the back of the tank. Does anyone have experience with side-mounted lights?? Those of you who have built your own lighting setups/hardware, how did you go about it??? I could also get crazy with it and make something with moving parts so that I could adjust the lights' angles or even push them upwards out of the way for maintenance!

Ultimately, I am open to any suggestion, as long as it checks a few boxes (below). I like to get creative with things like this in order to get the best results!

Goals:
- Obviously, I need it to support the weight of the lights and any cords/accessories needed.
- Can be installed and used without permanent damage to the wall/tank/stand
- Can be assembled using common hardware parts
- All custom-shaped pieces need to be able to laser-cut out of a flat sheet and assembled (meaning no circular tubes, angle brackets, etc. unless I can buy them at Home Depot!)
- Holds the lights where they need to be (I'm also open to suggestions on how far above the surface to mount them- acro lovers, what do you do?)
- Can be cut out of sheet metal (any angled/dimensional pieces need to be standard/easy to get)
- Isn't too inconvenient when doing routine maintenance on the tank (no full hoods, anything that would get in the way too much during water changes)

Other than that, I think I am open to suggestions! My current favorites are:

1. Two horizontal rails (one back, one front), each holding two lights. Rails connect at the ends, and are supported by one vertical bar that clams onto either side of the tank's glass. I like this option, as it seems fairly straightforward, but I don't know if mounting them on the side will put a huge dent into the limitations as far as cleaning/taking things out of the tank.

2. Two vertical angle brackets on the wall behind the tank, and two lights connected to either (I'll probably make the "arms" curved to form the semi-circle pattern for the lights). They could either be braced to each other for stability, or be independent.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am so stuck! Thanks in advance, everyone!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone!

As I get rolling on my (hopefully) SPS-only tank, I am dealing with some lighting struggles and need your advice!

Tank Details:
Center overflow

So here's the big question/issue: I want to set my lights up so that two of them are centered on either side of the overflow near the back, and two will be closer together at the front, so kind of in a semi-circle around the overflow. I have them in a row currently, and I'm finding that it creates a large shadow on the front of the overflow and in the front center of the tank. Ideally, I will have acros packed into this tank, and a big shady spot isn't something I want to have to work around. I plan on creating a laser-cut mounting system for the lights, as I am a graphic designer (so I can design them to be whatever) and have a good buddy that has access to a laser cutting machine! The big question is, should I design that fixture and then mount it from the side, or from the back of the tank?? I could even mount it to the wall behind the tank or drill it into the stand. I'm just not sure what's best, because all I have ever dealt with personally is the typical arm mount attached to the back of the tank. Does anyone have experience with side-mounted lights?? Those of you who have built your own lighting setups/hardware, how did you go about it??? I could also get crazy with it and make something with moving parts so that I could adjust the lights' angles or even push them upwards out of the way for maintenance!

Ultimately, I am open to any suggestion, as long as it checks a few boxes (below). I like to get creative with things like this in order to get the best results!

Goals:
- Obviously, I need it to support the weight of the lights and any cords/accessories needed.
- All custom-shaped pieces need to be able to laser-cut out of a flat sheet and assembled (meaning no circular tubes, angle brackets, etc. unless I can buy them at Home Depot!)
- Holds the lights where they need to be (I'm also open to suggestions on how far above the surface to mount them- acro lovers, what do you do?)
- Can be cut out of sheet metal (any angled/dimensional pieces need to be standard/easy to get)
- Isn't too inconvenient when doing routine maintenance on the tank (no full hoods, anything that would get in the way too much during water changes)

1. Two horizontal rails (one back, one front), each holding two lights. Rails connect at the ends, and are supported by one vertical bar that clams onto either side of the tank's glass. I like this option, as it seems fairly straightforward, but I don't know if mounting them on the side will put a huge dent into the limitations as far as cleaning/taking things out of the tank.

2. Two vertical angle brackets on the wall behind the tank, and two lights connected to either (I'll probably make the "arms" curved to form the semi-circle pattern for the lights). They could either be braced to each other for stability, or be independent.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am so stuck! Thanks in advance, everyone!
You asked for advice. Are you planning on running your lights at 100%? (for some reason?) - for a 36 inch tank thats way way way too many fixtures IMHO. If you're concerned about 'shadowing' - a different type of light would seem to be a more cost effective solution (i.e. you could sell all the AI's and buy a metal halide T5 combination. Maybe a picture of what you're planning would be an idea - but I don't even see how 5 x AI Hydra 26 would even fit over the top? (since they are 7. something inches wide). I might rethink your plan. Sorry if that seems harsh. I had 2 AI Hydra 26 over a 6 foot tank - now have 2 XR30 Gen 5 over the same tank - and the coral growth, etc is fantastic. If you're planning on running the lights at 20 percent or something and just want better 'coverage' - a T5 Halide might be better.

EDIT - it was a 5 foot tank

Last edited:

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures or drawings here would make a big difference in helping make an informed decision... so I second @MnFish1 's suggestion for some pics or mock-ups!

What does your current lighting system look like now?

OP
OP
rlkilwil

rlkilwil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No harshness here, I need your opinions so I appreciate it! The lights are definitely not at 100%, they are turned way down. I will sit down now and make some drawings for you guys! At the moment they are mounted all in a row, and each one is turned sideways so I could fit all 5. I got the lights for a steal and figured I would use them!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No harshness here, I need your opinions so I appreciate it! The lights are definitely not at 100%, they are turned way down. I will sit down now and make some drawings for you guys! At the moment they are mounted all in a row, and each one is turned sideways so I could fit all 5. I got the lights for a steal and figured I would use them!
Hey everyone!

Tank Details:
Center overflow

Goals:

I believe AI has a rail mounting system. I would mount that in the middle of the tank. with the lights as you have them. that would give you no shadow. and good spread.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back