How to convert a dual overflow tank into a peninsula style?!

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R family!
I will be working on my 150 triton tank in the next few weeks (I will be doing a mission trip in Nepal so the build will be placed on hold for a few weeks)

Prior to the build tread, I have a question and I’m looking for some feedback..

I currently purchased a dual overflow tank with the intentions of an in wall tank. After an annoying and undetected leak in the boiler room that option is no longer a possibility.

At this point I have decided to go with a peninsula style tank. Anyone have any experience in converting a dual overflow tank into a peninsula style tank?

I would imagine a sharp razor blade to cut and remove the silicone around the overflow boxes, add 4 bulkheads with caps (or cover the overflow holes with glass and silicone) then drill the tank to accommodate a peninsula style.

I would love some feedback!
Thanks everyone!

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I converted the standard 120g dual overflow into a shadow overflow. The boxes are really siliconed down tight. Don't think they will come off easy. I've never had one come off easy. You need to score as much of the silicone around the boxes then I took a wide putty knife and knocked it down the seam with a hammer till I was about half way down on both sides and I could pull it off.

That said I used bulkheads and just capped them off like you said. You could also take like a 1/2 inch piece o glass and silicone it down.

Also since you are removing the boxes, you will also probably need to re-seal the whole tank. So that's taking all the silicone off the inside (be careful not to remove the silicone that holds the glass together) and re-seal the whole tank. Silicone won't cure with old silicone which is why you need to re-seal the whole tank.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R family!
I will be working on my 150 triton tank in the next few weeks (I will be doing a mission trip in Nepal so the build will be placed on hold for a few weeks)

Prior to the build tread, I have a question and I’m looking for some feedback..

I currently purchased a dual overflow tank with the intentions of an in wall tank. After an annoying and undetected leak in the boiler room that option is no longer a possibility.

At this point I have decided to go with a peninsula style tank. Anyone have any experience in converting a dual overflow tank into a peninsula style tank?

I would imagine a sharp razor blade to cut and remove the silicone around the overflow boxes, add 4 bulkheads with caps (or cover the overflow holes with glass and silicone) then drill the tank to accommodate a peninsula style.

I would love some feedback!
Thanks everyone!
Do you have a photo of the tank?

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting.. I didn’t know that I need to reseal the tank ;Bored

How do you have the shadow overflow setup? Love to see a picture!

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EED490AD-C496-432D-A43F-3DB2DE24FCE5.jpeg

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not setup as a peninsula style.. I just had the look of giant overflow boxes. I'm setting up the tank now so its still empty (hard to get time with two young kids). here's a pic of an empty system with the overflow in place.

IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to cap the bulkheads. You could run them as closed loops.

Put some rock work around them and add some extra flow with the closed . This could eliminate some power heads in the tank.

Just saying, it's an option

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Put some rock work around them and add some extra flow with the closed . This cod eliminate some power heads in the tank.

That’s not a terrible idea but the way I’m looking to setup the tank I don’t think that would work for this application

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not setup as a peninsula style.. I just had the look of giant overflow boxes. I'm setting up the tank now so its still empty (hard to get time with two young kids). here's a pic of an empty system with the overflow in place.

IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG
Can I ask you how the glass looked after you removed the overflows? My concern is if I convert it to a peninsula will it be obvious the glass had overflow boxes?

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask you how the glass looked after you removed the overflows? My concern is if I convert it to a peninsula will it be obvious the glass had overflow boxes?

Glass was fine.. Just used a glass/tile scrapper from Home Depot and kept spraying rubbing alcohol and removing the silicone. I re-did the black paint in back since it was done wrong and peeling. So there wasn't any noticeable scratches in the glass.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-4-in-Glass-and-Tile-Scraper-GTS-HDX/206458315

Saltlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Put some rock work around them and add some extra flow with the closed . This could eliminate some power heads in the tank.

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading, but you said it. There's another tank on here for sale that has same setup no power heads. Very good idea. Another thing would be try to sell that tank and buy one without corner overflows.

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing as I was reading, but you said it. There's another tank on here for sale that has same setup no power heads. Very good idea. Another thing would be try to sell that tank and buy one without corner overflows.
Anyone interested in a tank?! Lol

Saltlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is just like mine corner overflows and all. Mine is kinda like a peninsula you can see the front and one side clearly. And little more than half of the back. Oya cool your going to Nepal I have always wanted to go and see Mt. Everest. Always wanted to give it a try.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back