How to get fish to grow?

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have seen some clownfish that are about 2 1/4 inches long and I have seen some that are about 1 1/4 inches long. What do the people feed and how often to get a clownfish grow to be 2 1/4 inches long?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have seen some clownfish that are about 2 1/4 inches long and I have seen some that are about 1 1/4 inches long. What do the people feed and how often to get a clownfish grow to be 2 1/4 inches long?

The size varies between different species of clowns but they usually average around 3”. Males are slower to grow and stay smaller if there is a dominant female. If there are more males in a “bonded group,” they will be smaller than the mating male. Of course juvenile fish will be smaller too. In a large enough group a male may change sex and establish itself as another dominant female. Generally that can mean trouble in a small tank...

Maroons for example tend to grow larger on average, saddlebacks too.

They will grow at the pace they grow that broadly conforms to the social hierarchy described above, so in sum the type of food or feeding 2 vs 4x a day won’t really matter as much.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I really like maroon clownfish. Maybe I will get one or two sometime and see if I can get them to grow to be that big.

Rs951

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like anything in a reef tank great water params, feed, and wait haha :p staring at my fish and stuff everyday... i hardly notice anything growing.

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to have a fat f*** of a maroon clown fish. I kept him in a predator tank and he ate the same stuff I fed my groupers and eels. He was probably pushing 5 inches. Aside from good water parems, give them space and time.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose you could increase the temperature a degree or two, but you'll have to compensate for the increased metabolic rate by feeding more.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever see them wild or in a large public aquarium, they can get really large. Especially maroons and tomatoes. Takes age for them to become big. As stated above, juveniles and males will remain small while the female will get larger (and the dominant male if in harem). Remember, these guys in captivity can live over 20years so 5 years or more to get large is not a big deal.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To get fish to grow big fast, you just need to feed heavily. 2-3% of the fishes body weight daily is what I aim for when growing fish. Some species of fish will stop growing quickly or at all, after a certain age, regardless of how much you feed.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding them 2-3 times a day flake food and watching them eat to make sure they are eating the food, and good water parameters and temp about 78 degrees. Hopefully this helps!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back