How to go about a restart?

Joe Batt

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 15, 2017
Messages
495
Reaction score
284
Location
Dubai
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea Reefer 350 that has been running for 3 years, however, for the last 6 months or so it has slowly slowly been crashing.

The levels according to Triton water tests are all good, my salinity is 35ppt Alk steady around 7.85-8.15 (slow variation of max 0.1 a day) Ca 440-450 Mg 1410 Nitrate 5-6 Po4 0.021 (Hanna ppb checker) temperature 25.5-26.2.

All seemingly good but the SPS has slowly died, except for a rainbow monti. The LPS seem to be OK ish except for a Ducan that has slowly also gone from 30 heads to around 3, and a hammer that was lovely that is slowly dying head by head.

The only corals that seem to be immune are a frogspawn, a candy cane, an elegance, some chalices, a gsp, and a jade cup coral, some mushrooms and a blastomussa.

I have good flow good lighting etc etc and checked everything.

I seem to now also have an outbreak of aptasia and some form of red wiry algea that has spread over many rocks and is going rampant.

I decided its time to go for a total restart :( with new dead rocks, sand etc. The only good thing is I get a chance to do a new aquascape.

Having only one aquarium, and a hospital tank what would be the best/easiest way to cycle new dead rocks. Can I cycle them in a big tub with just a circulation pump and an old led razor I have? the intention would be to cycle the new rocks, then move the fish and any surviving corals to the hospital tank whilst I drain the 350, add the cycled rocks new sand etc. then re-introduce the fish and the corals (minus the aptasia and red wire algae)

I'm hoping that a total reboot will solve whatever I have going on, so any tips and hints would be appreciated.
 
I have a RedSea Reefer 350 that has been running for 3 years, however, for the last 6 months or so it has slowly slowly been crashing.

The levels according to Triton water tests are all good, my salinity is 35ppt Alk steady around 7.85-8.15 (slow variation of max 0.1 a day) Ca 440-450 Mg 1410 Nitrate 5-6 Po4 0.021 (Hanna ppb checker) temperature 25.5-26.2.

All seemingly good but the SPS has slowly died, except for a rainbow monti. The LPS seem to be OK ish except for a Ducan that has slowly also gone from 30 heads to around 3, and a hammer that was lovely that is slowly dying head by head.

The only corals that seem to be immune are a frogspawn, a candy cane, an elegance, some chalices, a gsp, and a jade cup coral, some mushrooms and a blastomussa.

I have good flow good lighting etc etc and checked everything.

I seem to now also have an outbreak of aptasia and some form of red wiry algea that has spread over many rocks and is going rampant.

I decided its time to go for a total restart :( with new dead rocks, sand etc. The only good thing is I get a chance to do a new aquascape.

Having only one aquarium, and a hospital tank what would be the best/easiest way to cycle new dead rocks. Can I cycle them in a big tub with just a circulation pump and an old led razor I have? the intention would be to cycle the new rocks, then move the fish and any surviving corals to the hospital tank whilst I drain the 350, add the cycled rocks new sand etc. then re-introduce the fish and the corals (minus the aptasia and red wire algae)

I'm hoping that a total reboot will solve whatever I have going on, so any tips and hints would be appreciated.
You don't even need the light. All you need is a heater and power head for flow. It doesn't even have to be a lot of flow. Make sure the rocks are covered with salt water and you should be fine.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new